Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should McCabe killers be release as part of IRA disbandment deal?

Options
  • 10-05-2004 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering what people feel on this issue, especially given the views of the colleague of Jerry McCabe who was also shot on that day in 1996 that he would accept the assassins release if it helped the Peace-Process.

I can understand how many Unionists would feel that we are being hypocritical in demanding the release of IRA members who killed RUC members but not releaseing IRA members who killed members of the Gardai.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭arcadegame2004

I had wanted to add a poll to this thread on this issue but mistakenly didnt so I'll put in the thread again but with the poll next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Poll yawn!

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is a mess. They should not be given early release and nor should the government promise such (if they actually did). The IRA gang in question are not subject to the GFA and should serve out thier "manslaughter" sentences in full.

From IOL
    The Department of Justice has refused to confirm or deny reports that the IRA killers of Garda Jerry McCabe were to be released from prison under the aborted peace deal that was supposed to restart the peace process last October.

The deal, which involved a choreographed series of announcements by the various parties to the peace process, collapsed when the UUP refused to accept the decommissioning body's statement on IRA disarmament.

Reports today claimed that, had the deal gone ahead, the four IRA men convicted in connection with the killing of Garda McCabe would have been freed early.
    From BBC

Killers' release 'conditional'

Bertie Ahern told a press conference on Monday that the killers of Garda Jerry McCabe would only be freed if there was a guarantee that Provisional paramilitarism was to finish.

He had earlier denied that a deal was made regarding the release of four men convicted over the killing of Detective Jerry McCabe.

Mike.

The basis upon which it is argued that the killers of Detective Garda Jerry McCabe do not fall under the remit of the GFA is that the killing was carried out after the GFA. However, paramilitaries who killed after the GFA was ratified were released in the UK, under the GFA. I feel that the failure to release these men if the IRA disbands,while understandible from an emotional point of view, is effectively saying that a Garda life is worth more than an RUC life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Absolutely not. Building a lasting peace in the north should not involve the release of those who are apposed to the peace.let them serve out their prescribed sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

An Irish solution to an Irish problem..........

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Let me say this;

The killings in the north + england is a northern ireland problem, thus the IRA from therein were released, but the IRA who killed in Ireland are not released.

When your in Ireland, we make the rules :cool:

Well syco, we have released the killers of Garda Tom Hand, so that seems to conflict with what you're saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

The GFA does not state anywhere that the PIRA must disband.

All paramilitary prisoners should be released under the terms of the GFA.

It's in black and white whether we like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by Tommy Vercetti
    The GFA does not state anywhere that the PIRA must disband.

All paramilitary prisoners should be released under the terms of the GFA.

It's in black and white whether we like it or not.

Very valid Point, I think a lot of people have lost sight of the agreement, however Tommy I do believe total decommisioning would at least be needed before the full early release program would be carried out.

The problem with this story is that Bertie gave the Widow of Jerry McCabe written assurance that the prisioners would not be released early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

except they are not paramilitaries (as the organisation was on "cease fire") just common criminals, let them rot

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    except they are not paramilitaries (as the organisation was on "cease fire") just common criminals, let them rot

they weren't on ceasefire at the time

Originally posted by irish1
    I do believe total decommisioning would at least be needed before the full early release program would be carried out.

The GFA doesn't require that, and more to the point, the PIRA are the only group (subversive or otherwise) that has carried out a credible act of decommissioning to date.

Originally posted by Tommy Vercetti
    The GFA doesn't require that, and more to the point, the PIRA are the only group (subversive or otherwise) that has carried out a credible act of decommissioning to date.

Well decommisioning is present in the GFA, and I dont think more prisioners will be released before more weapons are put beyond use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I can understand how many Unionists would feel that we are being hypocritical in demanding the release of IRA members who killed RUC members but not releasing IRA members who killed members of the Gardai.
    We are being hypocrites. The failure of both governments to lead the way in implementing the agreement has been a problem. Also, something drastic needs to be done to show unionists that the NO camp will not change the agreement (especially given the forthcoming referendum which alters the agreement.)
    Well decommissioning is present in the GFA, and I don’t think more prisoners will be released before more weapons are put beyond use.
    Personally I think decommissioning has gone far enough. It’s a pointless exercise. It’s basically a mechanism to show unionists how serious the IRA is about peace. But it was never welcomed by the unionist camp in the way it should have been. Therefore it’s completely pointless.
    I do believe total decommissioning would at least be needed before the full early release program would be carried out.
    The problem is : how do you measure DECOMMISSIONING. The unionist camp has not accepted the mechanisms that were established in the agreement and I can't see the IRA giving a list of arsenal
    When your in Ireland, we make the rules
    like it or not Ireland is a partner in the peace process therefore it has to lead by example.
    Building a lasting peace in the north should not involve the release of those who are apposed to the peace
    IT doesn't involve those who are opposed to peace!:confused:

QUOTE]The basis upon which it is argued that the killers of Detective Garda Jerry McCabe do not fall under the remit of the GFA is that the killing was carried out after the GFA.[/QUOTE]

This is also wrong:
    The Adare robbery occurred on the 7th of June 1996. The Good Friday Agreement was agreed in April 1998

The GFA states:
    Both Governments will put in place mechanisms to provide for an accelerated programme for the release of prisoners, including transferred prisoners, convicted of scheduled offences in Northern Ireland or, in the case of those sentenced outside Northern Ireland, similar offences (referred to hereafter as qualifying prisoners).[
    Also Gerry Kelly has stated:
    "There have been a number of inaccurate and misleading claims and media reports, namely that it was made clear to Sinn Féin during the Good Friday negotiations that the prisoners who were to go on trial for the killing of Garda Jerry McCabe would not benefit from the early release programme. This is not the case.
    This is a mess.
    yes definitely. Its a horrible mess
    They should not be given early release and nor should the government promise
    They have to be really under the terms of the GFA
    Also FYI the IRA were not on cease-fire at the time:
    The first IRA ceasefire ended in February 1996 and the second was called in July 1997. The Adare robbery occurred on the 7th of June 1996. The Good Friday Agreement was agreed in April 1998

I accept that it’s a horribly emotional case but I personally can't see a way around releasing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

I have'nt read through the entire thread but any murderer should serve his or her time regardless of if they are in the IRA,UVF etc.

If that was a normal joe soap he would serve his time.

So no they should not be released until they have served there sentence.

For gods sake a man died while doing his duty and he should'nt have.

Originally posted by Wrestlemania
    I have'nt read through the entire thread but any murderer should serve his or her time regardless of if they are in the IRA,UVF etc.

If that was a normal joe soap he would serve his time.

So no they should not be released until they have served there sentence.

I accept your points, but the early release programme was part of the Good Friday Aggrement that was accepted north and south of the border, by been democratically carried in a referendum.

You can't accept the agreement and then start disagreeing with parts of it being implemented.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm genuinely surprised at the level of support there seems to be for releasing these men.

The way I see it, it's quite simple: they are bank robbers. In the course of committing a robbery, they shot a policeman. Are we seriously to accept that just because they are also members of the IRA, that these bank robbers should get early release?

Surely the idea of prisoner releases as part of the peace process is a tactic acceptance of the concept of "political prisoners" (which is a whole 'nother debate) - in what sense are bank robbers political prisoners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

Not matter what agreement was made they commited murder.

I am against the good friday agreement as it has some many downfalls.

Are the bombers of omagh if all ever caught going to be released early if the Dissedents come in line as well.

A Human died do you time simple as that.

Originally posted by Wrestlemania

Are the bombers of omagh if all ever caught going to be released early if the Dissedents come in line as well.

They are doing time, and from I have heard they will only be released if there is a total end to IRA activities.

Which will take some time.

You may not like the GFA, but it was passed by majority so theres not much you can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

The IRA were surposed to be on cease fire when this murder occured. Both the SF and IRA seemed to deny any link to IRA activity at first.

How did the raiding of a bank or killing a Garda advance the cause of a United Ireland?

IRA/SF seem to want to extract even more concessions from democratically elected governments.

Would IRA members found guilty of other criminality (eg. rackeering and punishment beatings) expect similar treatment?

Originally posted by Cork

The IRA were surposed to be on cease fire when this murder occured. Both the SF and IRA seemed to deny any link to IRA activity at first.

Nope:
    Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    Also FYI the IRA were not on cease-fire at the time:
    The first IRA ceasefire ended in February 1996 and the second was called in July 1997. The Adare robbery occurred on the 7th of June 1996. The Good Friday Agreement was agreed in April 1998.

Oh and Cork Disagrees with Bertie again, becomming a habit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

How did the raiding of a bank or killing a Garda advance the cause of a United Ireland?

Would IRA members found guilty of other criminality (eg. rackeering and punishment beatings) expect similar treatment?

Releasing these people to get the IRA to stop criminality is wrong. How was killing a Garda a political act?

Who was SF/IRA actually at war with? Was it with the Brithish and Irish states?

If I was Taoiseach - I would not be dangling carrots at SF/IRA - to get a
    total end to IRA activities

They are doing time, and from I have heard they will only be released if there is a total end to IRA activities.
    This doesn't answer my point.
    You may not like the GFA, but it was passed by majority so theres not much you can do.
    I don't have a problem with the GFA - I voted in favour - I just don't see what it has to do with bank robbers convicted of manslaughter.

Cork to save you ever having to ask these questions again and because I know you dont really like to actually read a thread before launching into your usual bullet point questions..........I'm gonna answer you.
    The IRA were surposed to be on cease fire when this murder occured.
    No the weren't, look above to my previous post
    Both the SF and IRA seemed to deny any link to IRA activity at first.
    While the IRA at first disclaimed knowledge of the operation this position was reversed a week afterwards following an initial inquiry. All five men were accepted and treated as IRA prisoners while in Portlaoise prison and they were moved to Castlerea as part of the IRA unit. They continue to be seen as IRA prisoners by the Dublin government and the prison authorities.
    It was IRA activity. If you can't understand why the IRA would rob a bank ..........!
    IRA/SF seem to want to extract even more concessions from democratically elected governments
    I dont really know what this means. Are SF not democratically elected? Is it wrong to ask for the implementation of a democratically supported agreement?
    No. But if there is a current case you would like to refer to................maby I can give my opinion.
    If I was Taoiseach - I would not be dangling carrots at SF/IRA - to get
    What would you do Cork? Are you giving us more of this again:

Cork quote:
    Striking deals with these people is completely wrong.

Cork quote:
    Compromise will be needed

Non Cork posts:
    Yes. And hence the need for an agreement to stop the murder.
    Which ones? Would you prefer a pre-agreement situation? Do you have an alternative to devising an agreement between the two communities to establish a working democracy?
    But its not obviously.
    Are we seriously to accept that just because they are also members of the IRA, that these bank robbers should get early release?
    Yes I refer to the GFA
    Surely the idea of prisoner releases as part of the peace process is a tactic acceptance of the concept of "political prisoners" (which is a whole 'nother debate) - in what sense are bank robbers political prisoners?
    I dont really understand your sentence but these men who robbed the bank were members of the IRA which means they are political prisoners.
    So you don't want the agreement to end the Troubles in NI?
    Lots of people died during the Troubles who's killers are walking the streets today. This incidence is a horrible one but I personally don't see an alternative.
    I don't have a problem with the GFA - I voted in favour - I just don't see what it has to do with bank robbers convicted of manslaughter.
    Well you obviously DO have a problem with the agreement. If you voted for it..........you agreed that these men should be released.

Originally posted by oscarBravo
    This doesn't answer my point. I don't have a problem with the GFA - I voted in favour - I just don't see what it has to do with bank robbers convicted of manslaughter.

I accept your point, but they were active members of the IRA and I believe were carrying out the robbery for the IRA. This entitles them to early release under the GFA.

I'm not saying I agree with but it's part of the agreement, and theres no point in asking me why, because I didn't create the agreement.
    Originally posted by CORK

Releasing these people to get the IRA to stop criminality is wrong. How was killing a Garda a political act?

Who was SF/IRA actually at war with? Was it with the Brithish and Irish states?

If I was Taoiseach - I would not be dangling carrots at SF/IRA - to get a
    "total end to IRA activities"

Well Cork, thankfully your not Taoiseach, the IRA are on a ceasefire so any people that are convicted "rackeering and punishment beatings" obviously do not come under the terms of the GFA.

The Taoiseach is not "dangling carrots", he knows that if peace is to come in the North the GFA has to be fully implemented.

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    Yes I refer to the GFA
    I don't remember the GFA being explained as a "get out of jail free card" for all IRA members, regardless of their crime.
    I dont really understand your sentence but these men who robbed the bank were members of the IRA which means they are political prisoners.
    If an IRA member is locked up for kiddy fiddling, does that make him a political prisoner who is entitled to early release under the GFA?
    Well you obviously DO have a problem with the agreement. If you voted for it..........you agreed that these men should be released.
    Nope. At the time, it was made clear that bank robbing cop-killers were not covered by the agreement, regardless of what terrorist organisation they happened to belong to. If that was not the case, why all the talk now about U-turns?

How did the raiding of a bank or killing a Garda advance the cause of a United Ireland? [etc.]
    I didn't post that.

I didn't post that. [/B]

Apologies, it was Cork.

I have edited the post.

• Advertisement

If an IRA member is locked up for kiddy fiddling, does that make him a political prisoner who is entitled to early release under the GFA?
    Obviously not (because its not IRA related). Its a silly argument really because were not talking about any type of crime that might be perceived as being non-IRA activity. Were talking about prisoners who are perceived as being prisoners of war here. -
    I don't remember the GFA being explained as a "get out of jail free card" for all IRA members,
    Maby you didn't read it correctly the first time?
    Again: the GFA:
    "--> Both Governments will put in place mechanisms to provide for an accelerated programme for the release of prisoners, including transferred prisoners, convicted of scheduled offences in Northern Ireland or, in the case of those sentenced outside Northern Ireland, similar offences (referred to hereafter as qualifying prisoners). Any such arrangements will protect the rights of individual prisoners under national and international law.

--> Both Governments will complete a review process within a fixed time frame and set prospective release dates for all qualifying prisoners. The review process would provide for the advance of the release dates of qualifying prisoners while allowing account to be taken of the seriousness of the offences for which the person was convicted and the need to protect the community. In addition, the intention would be that should the circumstances allow it, any qualifying prisoners who remained in custody two years after the commencement of the scheme would be released at that point.

-->The Governments will seek to enact the appropriate legislation to give effect to these arrangements by the end of June 1998.
    "
    Nope. At the time, it was made clear that bank robbing cop-killers were not covered by the agreement, ?
    I refer above
    regardless of what terrorist organisation they happened to belong to. If that was not the case, why all the talk now about U-turns
    Well the "talk" has arisen due to government commitments to implementing the GFA. It was unavoidable really because the terms were so clearly defined.

Did the government promise Garda McCabes wife that the IRA prisoners would serve their time AFTER the signing of the GFA? I personally dont know. If they did then:
    - they were not commited to the implementation of the Agreement or,
    - they were playing politics until the time was ripe.
    Remember it was the governments intention to have as little public discussion on this topic as possible. This should of happened when Trimble ****ed things up. This discussion has come about due to a leak and at a very unfortunate time for the government. But that said, the situation is not nice, but all the same unavoidable.

Also bear in mind that the British government has made similar "never releasing IRA......" statements. But they to have been forced to recognise the reality of the NI peace process.

Advertisement