Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard on the left for England (!?)

• 10-05-2004 11:06pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/england/3700935.stm
    Gerrard is set to fill England's problem positon

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson expects Liverpool's Steven Gerrard to fill the left-flank role at Euro 2004.
    Gerrard has been outstanding in central midfield this term but Eriksson plans to use him in his problem position.

He said: "I think we have solutions, and maybe the best solution so far is when we play with a diamond system and use Steven Gerrard to the left side.

"He always played very well for us there so that might be a solution," Eriksson told www.leaguemanagers.com.

He added: "You have other players. You have Kieron Dyer who could play there, you have Joe Cole, who plays there for Chelsea a lot of times and is doing very well.

"So I think we have solutions but maybe so far the best one is Gerrard."

Eriksson also hinted that he may use England captain David Beckham in a more central role, which the former right-sided midfield man has become accustomed to with Real Madrid.

"He has showed all this season that he can play in a central role and he's doing a very good job there.

"It will depend a little bit on who are the other players available for the first game, second game and so on in Euro 2004.

"I think the move to Real Madrid did David Beckham good because he now shows that he is the complete midfielder.

"He can play outside-right, he can play central and, of course, that makes him all the more available and important for us."

Eriksson is scheduled to announce the squad he intends to take to Euro 2004 on Monday 17 May and confirm his final 23 to Uefa on Wednesday 2 June.
    lol, what is he like, planning to play England's best player out of position? Mr Eriksson must have been spending a little TOO much time at Anfield...

Surely playing Joe Cole or a right footer on the left (like Pires at Arsenal, he'd have Cole behind him overlapping when he cut inside too) with Gerrard and Lampard/Scholes in the centre and Beckham on the right is the way to go? Eriksson's chopping and changing on the left side has made a mountain out of a molehill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

And every English soccer pundit seems to think hes the worlds best manager too.It's crazy.Gerrard shouldnt go near the left side.In fact the whole diamond thing is crap imo.I'd stick Bridge on the left and be done with it.Also might give young wingers a chance on the left even if they might have to cut in to deliver - Wright-Phillips is surely worth a shot.

He should have the left side aniled down long ago - thats the type of thing friendlies are for,except he turns friendlies into a joke,making a mockery of both getting caps and the captaincy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Its gotta be Gareth Barry. he`s been inspirational for Villa over the past 2 season. he`s only 22 and hes our second choice captain. He is magic down the left hand side. he would link up well with either bridge or ashley cole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ditto all of the above - and there's talk of him marrying - perhaps he's in a spin/tizzy at the mo! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Barry deserves a good shot at it. He has had a great season. But then again you have to question his attitude to friendlies and will he ever get a decent one? I also cant understand why he has never tried Bridge and A.Cole. The would both be interchangeable and both love getting forward. They are also 2 of englands best defenders and should both be accomodated.

Gerrard on the left? Ill say nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

He was on Goals on Sunday and hinted that his diamond would be Gerrard central Beckham right Lampard left and Scholes behind strikers.

Very narrwo midfield but jesus christ thats some feckin midfield. If he plays like that expect beckham to get a lot of the ball and Bridge to get forward a lot.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Englands first choice midfield would contail Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham and Scholes, who do you drop to accomodate Bridge/Barry? The four players named above are all central midfielders and are nearly certainly to start if fit, I can't see England going too far in Portugal with no wingers. IMO They'd have to drop Scholes or Lamps if they are to play a winger. Tough choices for Sven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I agree about dropping one of the central midfielders. Sorry Frank. Or perhaps playing scholes as a second striker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd think I'd be willing to risk dropping Scholes he's never found his range in an England shirt...I'd play Wayne Bridge as an out and out left winger myself. Stick Jamie Carragher at left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Alan Thompson should get a the left sided berth.

He's worth a few goals from crosses and dead balls, and has shone in europe again this season!

However its not going to happen.

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

I know it was only one game but Thompson blew his chance with his poor performance against Sweden

As mike65 says I'd drop Scholes too - he's in there on reputation only when did he last score for England?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Barry is the best natural left sided English player, no doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Gerrard left doesn't sound at all right. He's great in the middle, decent on the right and crosses very well with his right foot, but on the left?

Lampard has had a great season and should play centrally. Likewise Gerrard.
    Stick Beckham back on the right where he belongs.
    Eriksson will probably play Scholes aswell.

He should just tell Gerrard to sit back a bit to protect the defense and play two attacking full backs. With a midfield that narrow there'll be acres of room for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

"Gerrard sitting back" isnt half the player "Gerrard rampaging all over the field" is.

I'd be a bit worried for England that Lampard is getting more praise than he deserves. A great midfield goalscorer - yes. Lovely finisher. When his team are on top, Frank is super. But when things are going against his team, does he satnd up and take the fight to the opposition - I think not.

Against Monaco (1st leg) he'd a great first half. All the half time analysists were raving about him. Second half he didnt get a kick - no mention of Lampard in the studio.

In the 2nd leg he'd a poor game, and it was put down to a very unusual off day.

I remember people used to rave about what a great player Gus Poyet was. Yet in a big game he wouldnt get a kick in central midfield, leaving his team at a big disadvantage - though he would pop up for a good share of goals. I think its the same with Lampard, people see his name on the scoresheet and automatically think "Lampard had a great game today".

I'm being a bit over critical maybe, Lampard is a good player (and obviously goals are crucial), just (IMO) not as good as the English media make him out to be.

I think if England play both Scholes and Lampard they'll be found wanting when they come up against the big teams. Sven should choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I agree that Gerrard sitting back isn't close to half the player he is when he's playing end to end but realistically England have a very choice of defensive midfielders with that kind of class.

Anyway, England's biggest problem always seems to be that despite the quality of many of their players they rarely play good quality passing/posession football in midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by The Rooster
    In the 2nd leg he'd a poor game, and it was put down to a very unusual off day.
    I have Chelsea TV in my house so I would see nearly all of Chelsea's games, I can tell you one thing, it is not unusual for Lamps to have an off day. Everyone says he is one of the most consinstant player, my arse. He gets away with being a bit Matt Holland-like (ie. invisible) because he scores so much but if you took away half his goals Parker (in the centre) and Gerrard are twice the player. The best part of his game are long shots and taking on players but he doesn't put himself around as much as he should. I completely with you Rooster.
    I know it was only one game but Thompson blew his chance with his poor performance against Sweden
    Thompson didn't blow his chances, his teammates did. I watched a replay of the match and all the balls were going down the right side and if you're a left winger its very hard to get involved. On "You're on Sky Sports" after the match nearly all the England fans were saying they feel sorry for Thompson but it would probably be his last chance. SGE only played him becaue of the media.

Advertisement