Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FA cup or 4th place?

• 11-05-2004 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

We all know that the FA cup isn't what its used to be but teams are still remembered for winning trophies. Even so, I'd say most people (with the exception of the current top 3 teams' supporters) would prefer their team to come 4th and qualify for the CL.

What would you prefer?

FA cup or 4th place? 15 votes

FA Cup
    0% 0 votes
    4th Spot
    60% 9 votes
    Arsenal, Chelsea, ManU fans - Click me!
    40% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

It's a tricky one really. I mean ask someone like Wayne Rooney or Alan Smith and they'd prob say fourth place cause of the whole Champions League thing and the excitement etc of playing in that competition. Then there's all the cash that goes along with it. But when you look back on your career you don't want to be bringing out old tables and saying look I was on a side that finished fourth, you want to be able to whip out old medals of wins.

Bet Shearer is a bit gutted he never went to Utd that time. He only has a single medal to show for his whole glorious career, even if it is the Premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

FA Cup every time.

Its far better to have a winners medal than qualify for a group stage of a competition that you dont have a hope of winning.

Obviously the aim for the club is to qualify for the CL but as a supporter theres something much nicer about Winning the fa cup when nothing else has gone right...

.....As United fans are discovering this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Shearer is the best example.

Winners medals are what you remember your career for, and what the fans remember you for. One lone Premiership medal is not a lot to him. He is one that would take an FA Cup medal more than 4th.

"Oh I was 4th in the Premiership a few times" ain't exactly something to revel in. It is for the short-term; 4th means a chance of milking the cash cow that is the Champions League, but its not that great an accomplishment long-term (unless you can build on that and get to 1st or 2nd in a few years)

Trophies are remembered, 4th place is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

No-one remembers who came fourth in a certain year but FA cup winners will go down in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Short Term - CL place means more.
    The FA cup is more prestigous and will be remembered for a long time(especially if its a cracker or an upset)

How many years back can you remember the top 3/4?

• Advertisement
Advertisement