Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4th place

• 11-05-2004 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Its back down to two teams for the final CL place now.

Could it go to the wire for 4th again and will 'pool be bale to be newcastle if it does.

At least there is potentially one decent match left this season......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

If new castle loose one and win against pool then villa could still be in there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Villa are 3 points behind Liverpool with a worse goal difference by 12 goals. One game left each - so no chance of Villa getting 4th. They could get 5th though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Newcastle need to win both their matches to claim 4th.
    But with Liverpool at Anfield on the last day, I fancy Liverpool's chances, certainly for just the draw...

I've got my ticket. Should be a good game... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭alfie

Somethin tells me it wont even come down to the last game, i think Newcastle will slip up against Southampton. Newcastle have a terrible awawy record this season and they dont usually do well against Sothampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Originally posted by alfie
    Somethin tells me it wont even come down to the last game, i think Newcastle will slip up against Southampton. Newcastle have a terrible awawy record this season and they dont usually do well against Sothampton.

here's hoping you are right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

heres hoping you're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Could results go a certain way, that if United allowed Villa to beat them by a major scoreline ( like 12 or 13-0 ) on the last day, then Villa could pip both Newcastle and the Skausers to 4th place?

I for one would be willing to allow this to happen, as Villa are the lesser of three evils in my book :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I think that is very unlikely to happen. Hopefully L'pool will take the game to Newcastle on saturday whether they need a win or a draw, whn they play negative football, they are not very succesful, whereas when they play positively, they can look like the team of old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Originally posted by seansouth
    Could results go a certain way, that if United allowed Villa to beat them by a major scoreline ( like 12 or 13-0 ) on the last day, then Villa could pip both Newcastle and the Skausers to 4th place?

I for one would be willing to allow this to happen, as Villa are the lesser of three evils in my book :D
    :rolleyes: Little wonder then why the Mancs aren't liked too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Having fought a long and consistent struggle all season in order that they may finish somewhere below Charlton and Birmingham it now seems that Liverpool have abandoned the principles they held dear all season and strung together a few results, starting at Old Trafford recently of all places.

Fourth they WILL be but uninspiringly so ....just as they were a less than inspiring second a few years back.

Then they'll have a home and away qualifier against Besiktas or Trabonspor in August where they will lose 3-0 away and grind out a 2-1 result at home. This will be followed by a home and away against some Icelandic team in September in the UEFA where they will lose on aggregate ......and blame both refs too no doubt :D

Even then, Houllier will state his determination to see his contract out.

Thats my prediction for the next 6 months.

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Originally posted by Muck
    Then they'll have a home and away qualifier against Besiktas or Trabonspor in August where they will lose 3-0 away and grind out a 2-1 result at home. This will be followed by a home and away against some Icelandic team in September in the UEFA where they will lose on aggregate ......and blame both refs too no doubt :D

Away in Turkey - Lose 3-0
    Home in Anfailed - Win 2-1

All adds up to a 4-2 loss, then head into the next round?

Why are Liverpool being given this dispensation from UEFA?

edit:/// Sorry.....I didn't realise they were headed in to the UEFA Cup in the Sept....sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I would gladly accept Utd. getting beat 12-0 then get taken to the cleaners by UEFA and get kicked out Europe. Their spot would go to 5th place.............Liverpool.

thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Muck has, I fear hit the nails the head with perfect balance and weight....

Mike.

Thegap between the top 3 and the rest is so great that getting fourth place is not really a Best of the Rest competition rather a Least Worst of the rest competition .

Liverpool have the resources to make the top 4 ......consistently....... but sadly seem to blow £10 Million on a Heskey type episode every summer. By the end of August everyone sez uh oh and then we face into another same old same old year. Anyone who really remembers how to produce a winning machine a la Shankley and Paisley is gone .That sorta team takes years to put in place, even though Liverpool actually won everything in 76/77 with the more or less the same 11 players and Fairclough after 70 mins for Toshack. By modern standards that was an awesome team....played over 50 matches in a season each.

Winning is a culture, hard to get to that stage and easier to run with if the management is good. That culture died in Liverpool over 10 years ago. Don't think that it will outlast Ferguson at MU if they get the sucession wrong, or in Arsenal after Wenger. I could see Martin O Neill on the bench in either club by the end of June ....Martin has that winning pedigree and can translate it to his minions and to the supporters in double quick time.

Newcastle are a lot smaller than Liverpool and have done fairly well under Robson but poor Bobby is 70 and needs the nudge upstairs (not out) . Again O'Neill would be the man for the job.

Whoever gets him this summer will finish a comfortable fourth (or better) next year.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I could clone Martin O' Niell I'd be very rich as his Mr 10%! :D

Mike.

May I add that the only team I ever followed (vaguely as in went to their home matches for the crack) coz they were 'local 'was Millwall. Some crack it was too, the fans are absolute animals.

I can't wait for the chant of "Does the Social know yer 'ere" at the Manks in Cardiff , ironicallyMillwall may still be in Europe by October whereas I am less confident about Liverpool.

Say what yiz want coz I don't care :D

M

Advertisement