Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Duff to ManU + Lampard?

• 11-05-2004 8:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭

BBC 5 Live said this morning that Chelsea and ManU have agreed a fee for Damien Duff, and the deal will go through as soon as Duff gets fit and passes a medical.

They also reported that Frank Lampard is very unhappy with his wages, and will hand in a transfer request unless the situation is rectified immediately. Apparently his wages are a fraction of what the stars purchased in the last 12 months are on. United are again the team linked, though its hard to imagine Chelsea not rectifying the situation!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Nothing on the bbc or any other web site - sounds far fetched.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

One word:

Bullshít

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

The lampard story was in the *cough* Mirror this morning. £17 Million was the figure mentioned. They'd have to pay more than that i'd say.

The duff story is more likely

Originally posted by Axel
    The duff story is more likely

One of their best players to one of their biggest rivals, do you honestly think Kenyon would let that happen, not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

it's very hard to see chelski parting with lampard, and 17 mill is far too little for a player of his calibre. The duff story is likely and has been around for a while but lets be honest, he's very injury prone but when he does play he's the heartbeat of the chelsea team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

And don't forget that Chelsea have signed Robben. Very similar to Duff.

As Irish has said, it doesnt make much sense to sell a player to your rival (though they do it in Italy regularly - mainly swaps) and its the first time I've seen the Duff story without a mention of Rio going the other way - which I always thought was a bit (make that a lot) dubious. I wonder is there anyone else United would use as bait and who Chelsea would be interested in?

Originally posted by irish1
    One of their best players to one of their biggest rivals, do you honestly think Kenyon would let that happen, not a chance

It happens a good bit. Spurs Captin to their main rivals?.....Campbell

It happens a good bit. Spurs Captin to their main rivals?.....Campbell

Was Campbell not out of contract and wanted to go??

Not the same scenario here at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Someone must have misheard Five Live as Duffs agent is quoted as saying he is going nowhere.

Also Smith doesnt rule out moving to United and says that there is no longer a rivalry now Leeds are in Division One. Yeah right.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/leeds_united/3702803.stm

Leeds striker Alan Smith has admitted for the first time he would consider moving to Manchester United.
    Smith will be sold in the summer after the Elland Road club were relegated to Division One, but had previously hinted he would be looking for a club abroad.

"At this stage you can't rule out anything," Smith told BBC Five Live.

"People say that Leeds and Manchester United are big rivals but we're not even going to be in the same division so it's not even a rivalry."

He added: "I'm not saying I want to walk out of here and go to Manchester United, but they're a massive club.

"If you said the same thing to me about Valencia or Juventus, I'd tell you the same answer.

If he does cross the Pennines I would be very, very disappointed in the lad

From Super S
    Have your say on 606

"At this stage of my career, if I want to win trophies and I want to do well, then I've got to move on.

"If I were 32 I'd stay here, it's as simple as that.

"But I'm not, I'm 23, I've got a lot of football in me and I'm an ambitious person."

Sir Alex Ferguson is known to be a big admirer of Smith's battling qualities and would be keen to recruit the striker as part of his summer rebuilding at Old Trafford.

The United manager was also believed to be lining up a move for Chelsea winger Damien Duff.

Duff is staying at Stamford Bridge

But the Irishman's agent has ruled out the possibility of Duff leaving Stamford Bridge.

"That story has been doing the rounds for a long, long time and to be honest it's just pure speculation," Pat Devlin told BBC Five Live.

"Damien is extremely happy at Chelsea and in London.

"He's just been a little unfortunate that he's been injured in the past couple of weeks because otherwise he would have been in the Champions League."

Originally posted by irish1
    Was Campbell not out of contract and wanted to go??

Not the same scenario here at all

Yeah fair enough. He did go for "free" (A huge signing on fee).

I guess its up to the player. If he wants to go he'll go regardless of the club. Parker to Chelsea. He might want to go with Robben coming in the summer

• Advertisement

More plausible might be Woodgate(In the sun) if Newcastle don't make CL or even Uefa cup. Would like to see him at United - he had a good parterneship with Rio at Leeds.

Both Smith and Andrade have said they would be interested in United, don't want Smith(thug) but Andrade would be ok.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Wouldn't mind seeing both Duff and Lampard at OT. It would strengthen our midfield at least. Andrade looks like one that United should try to get their hands on. Good defender.

I do NOT want to see Alan Smith in a United jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Maybe a sub-forum could be opened in Soccer. Call it 'Bullshit Transfer Stories That The Media Need To Fill Out Their Football Pages Now The Season Is Nearly Over'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Why would the richest chairman in the world sell his 2 best players to one of their rivals? Well, the obvious answer is because he knows nothing about football, but I'm assuming he has people advising him. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Maybe a sub-forum could be opened in Soccer. Call it 'Bullshit Transfer Stories That The Media Need To Fill Out Their Football Pages Now The Season Is Nearly Over'.

I second that motion :D

Seriously though - a Sticky showing who is linked with who that we can review at the end of the summer would be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Why would the richest chairman in the world sell his 2 best players to one of their rivals? Well, the obvious answer is because he knows nothing about football, but I'm assuming he has people advising him. :)

Well cuddly Pete always said he was a United fan through and through. Maybe him going to Chelsea was all part of a cuning plan to destroy it from within ;)

Someone must have misheard Five Live as Duffs agent is quoted as saying he is going nowhere.

I did not mishear 5 Live. It was on their sports bulletin that follows the news at 0630 this morning (11 May 2004). I'm not saying 5 Live is right in this case, but I didnt mishear and I didnt make it up.

Of course if an agent says he's not moving, that does not mean the player will not move. Its just means that as the player didnt want the transfer (and assuming there's time left on his contract) he'll be entitled to a big "golden boot" on leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No chance at all of Smith going to Man Utd, the fans would hate him forever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

kida: Seriously though - a Sticky showing who is linked with who that we can review at the end of the summer would be good.

Defo, great shout....man utd have one on there web site, remember reading the combined amount that manu were supposed to be spending somewhere in the 500 million...laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Spurs Captin to their main rivals?

Spurs and Arsenal may be rivals by locality. But they aint rivals on the pitch. Players in those scenarios will always move to better their careers.

A sticky for transfer spec would be well funny come August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Duff has been linked to man u last summer before Chelsea signed him and the season before that I don’t think duff would leave and as for lampard they would be mad to let him go he has been Chelsea’s best player!!! I think this is just a case of the media having nothing else to print!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I cant see Duffer going to United. He has been very good when he has played for Chelsea and they have missed him in the Champion League games.
    I can see Lampard moving to Man U. If Chelsea dont want to give Lampard more money then they might get rid of him which would be insane for chelsea to do as Lampard has been there best player. but £17million for Lampers is a bargin considering Man U paid £28 for Veron.:mad:
    Fingers crossed Man U get Lampard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Veron is off anyway, thank god!

If Lampard and Duff go to Man U, then I will hang my balls on the washing line and even take a picture so you can all see :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Originally posted by |.Murderer.|
    Veron is off anyway, thank god!

If Lampard and Duff go to Man U, then I will hang my balls on the washing line and even take a picture so you can all see :D

lol, why would you do that??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by Dewey
    lol, why would you do that??
    ROFL. Such a Joey Travani question, bursts out laughing and then pops out with the serious question.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

i'd love to see lampard put on a united jersey but chelsea wont let him go and if they would let him go, i doubt they wont leave him go to united!!! as for smith he would be a great player for united but his temperment will hae to be controlled more plus will he get the games if he does join?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

duff and lampard to utd- I WISH!

in my opinion chelsea's 2 of 3 invaluable key players, terry being the 3rd. i would be surprised if anybody got 1 of them within the next 5 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement