Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

guys and gals, the same insurance?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by JabbaTheHut
    Anyway,the thing is,if equality comes in,womens insurance will increase,and men's MIGHT drop slightly.In the end,the equality will just result in insurance companies having an excuse to charge women more,and make even more money.Chances are,everyone, except the insurance companies,will loose out.
    Initially that would probably be the case but over time and due to the way females who are complaining seem to be listened to I could see them dropping back a little. It still may be higher for females but should be signifiantly less for males which is the point in ending this discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

There is a way to radically reduce all insurance premiums - male and female...just raise the minimum age of driving to 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

Good point but unworkable !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Merrion
    There is a way to radically reduce all insurance premiums - male and female...just raise the minimum age of driving to 21.
    I'm not sure if this is a troll or not but i'll play along. That's a stupid idea. Getting rid of the provisional licencing system and actually ensuring drivers have proper training before being allowed (on their own) on the roads would reduce premiums because it would reduce the number of accidents.

Reforming the current problems in the law that allows people claim crazy amounts of money would also reduce premiums.

Another way to ensure driver competence would possibly to have every driver do a smaller version of the full test every 10 years as they get their licences renewed.

Raising the legal age for someone to be allowed drive, limits young people's ability to get jobs as well as meaning that they are reliant on others to get around and that's hardly good especially given the state of the public transport 'service' in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

If the government was worries about speeding, road deaths etc. it would fund a driving school...

'nuff said....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Sorry about that - they moved since the last time i visited the site. A quick google gives us : http://www.irishadvancedmotorists.ie/

I read something there that the Hibernian Ignition scheme is an extension of the IAM and that you could get a good quote if you did the IAM test rather than the Ignition one (due to the fact you could go to several companies rather than just hibernian with the IAM one). Also the IAM one isn't just limited to engines under 1400cc

It's with this in mind that I'm considering applying for the course off the above site....

Is anybody doing that Hibernian scheme (or axas one) where you can't drive after a certain time at night or before a certain time in the morning....think thats too limiting for my taste,anyone agree?does any1 know if the above scheme means your uninsured in the event of an accident at thast time of night?

also AXA have a GPS tracking thing where they know what speed you're doing distance travelled etc.... (again too limiting 4 my taste)

I know someone who has a provisional licence and their wondering can they drive on their 2nd provisional licence (by themselves) due to the fact he had to sign a form with AXA saying he wouldn't drive on his own on his prov. (of course he doesn't know if it means first one or all of them)....

Originally posted by daggeredge
    I read something there that the Hibernian Ignition scheme is an extension of the IAM and that you could get a good quote if you did the IAM test rather than the Ignition one (due to the fact you could go to several companies rather than just hibernian with the IAM one). Also the IAM one isn't just limited to engines under 1400cc

Not really - Ignition is really more of a mini-advanced driving test. I've done both and the IAM advanced driving test was way harder. The IAM do give you and internationally recognised certificate but at the moment Hibernian are the only company in Ireland who will give you a discount for it. Loads of companies in England give a discount for IAM membership.

Ignition has it's benefits though. Like I said, it's easier. You get instruction before taking the test and it's been raised to 1600cc now. I think there's a bigger potential discount too. The IAM discount is 30% but I think you can get up to 40% for a distinction in the Ignition test.
    Originally posted by daggeredge

Is anybody doing that Hibernian scheme (or axas one) where you can't drive after a certain time at night or before a certain time in the morning....think thats too limiting for my taste,anyone agree?does any1 know if the above scheme means your uninsured in the event of an accident at thast time of night?

It's between 11pm and 7am. It's cos most accidents happen between these hours. I don't know anyone who's using it. I think there's a clause where if you can prove it was an emergency you'll still be covered. I wouldn't swear to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

also AXA have a GPS tracking thing where they know what speed you're doing distance travelled etc

Plus,if I can remember right, all the equipment is "hired" by you,from AXA,at a price that has you paying for it,but not owning it.I *THINK* it's around €700.

btw, Blitzkrieger, when all was finished how much did the IAM cost you? €58 for the test is grand,but what's the story with lessons and stuff?

I think it cost me about €95 cos I got the book as well. I didn't take any lessons - relied on the instruction I got in the Ignition course to get me through. It's amazing how hard it is to drive properly. Things like oberservation and road position you do every day without thinking about it, but I'm so lazy it was hard to keep my hands at 10 and 2 the whole time. Lots of little things to watch out for too. It knocked €785 off my insurance..........so that was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Ok, this is just an update to my post in this topic.

I'm just after getting off the phone with Carole Nash. I gave them all the same details of me current insrance. (which is €3,200 3rd party or €5,200 odd Fully comp) Carole Nash quoted me €1,900 odd. And that was fully comp!!!!!! well I know where I'm going to when my current insurance ends with AON.

An interesting side note, while I was on the phone to the Carole Nash Rep (who might I add was very nice and great to deal with) She asked me "why am I getting a quote, mid term of my current insurance"

I replyed:

"My current insrance is €3,200 3rd party...... I'm gonna need to start saving"

She just laughed...

She's gonna send me out all the details of this current quote. Very sweet turn out all in all

Oh their number is 1800 930 800. They will only insure a new driver if they are 24 or over and will only insure someone under 24 if they have driving expeance and their no clames (from what I understand) So they seam to be doing it right if you ask me

just wondering is carole nash better than quinn direct?

whats the difference and would she insure a guy driving on someone elses policy for two years and who wanted to start driving on his own for tyhe first time (full licence)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by sutty
    I'm just after getting off the phone with Carole Nash. I gave them all the same details of me current insrance. (which is €3,200 3rd party or €5,200 odd Fully comp) Carole Nash quoted me €1,900 odd. And that was fully comp!!!!!!
    I was wondering how you were getting cheaper insurance than me....you must be older. They told me they'd only give me TPO insurance cos of my age (22). Still miles cheaper than Hibernian though.
    just wondering is carole nash better than quinn direct?

whats the difference and would she insure a guy driving on someone elses policy for two years and who wanted to start driving on his own for tyhe first time (full licence)
    Carol Nash only do motorcycles and classic cars in this country. Scratch that (I just checked their website), it would now seem that Carol Nash do modern car insurance in Ireland.

I've no idea what their rates are like, or what their policies are, but judging by the superiority of their bike insurance products over Hibernians, I'd recommend giving them a look in.

Advertisement