Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great news for Liverpool

• 11-05-2004 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭

First Owen has said that he will not leave on a free

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3702247.stm
    Michael Owen has promised Liverpool he will not leave them in the lurch by sitting out his contract and leaving on a free transfer after next season.
    The striker, who has been linked with moves to Barcelona and Real Madrid, quashed talk of an early Anfield exit.

"We will sort something out amicably next summer," he told BBC Five Live. "I won't just up and leave on a Bosman.

"I have the rest of this season and all next left on my contract but talks have already started on a new one."

Owen did admit that discussions had been complicated, but said he was not about to cash in on his position.

"Inevitably, the talks are complex though and don't get done in just a week. But I certainly see myself at Liverpool next year. Why not?

"I'm not in football for the money. And that is largely what it means when players sit out their contracts and go for free.

"I've got a reasonable collection of trophies already, but I want more and that's the main thing in my mind.

"I read that the manager [Gerard Houllier] says he expects me to go abroad at some stage and I certainly would not rule anything out.

"I am very ambitious and want to play at the highest level but there is now reason that can't be with Liverpool."

Owen's pledge came on the day he signed a new kit and boots sponsorship deal with manufacturers Umbro, reportedly worth £15m over 15 years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Second (although I am not sure about it)it looks like the THai investment has been sealed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/3697713.stm
    Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has finalised a deal to invest in Liverpool, his government have said.
    Thaksin, chasing a 30% stake, is likely to buy his shares from the 51% owned by Anfield chairman David Moores, meaning Liverpool may not profit directly.

However, the cash will come from Thai public funds rather than Thaksin himself as was previously thought.

"We will buy in the name of Thailand," said government spokesman Jakrapob Penkair after a cabinet announcement.

"The Thai government is the one that negotiated the deal, not Thaksin and most of the money will come from public funds," Jakrapob added ahead of a formal announcement to be held at an undisclosed time in the future.

This would appear to contradict a statement made over the weekend by Pongsak Ruktapongpisal, deputy minister of commerce, who said: "I want to assure you that the money comes from the prime minister himself not from public funds."

Thaksin, who was a telecoms tycoon before he moved into politics, is estimated to be worth $800m (£450m) and hopes to cash in on the Premiership club's popularity in Asia.

He revealed that a company formed with other Thai private investors to pump money into the club would receive commercial rights to use the Liverpool brand and that a football academy would be set up in Thailand.

His spokesman, Chakrapot Penkai, believes the deal will be mutually beneficial.

"Thailand thinks that the Liverpool team can enhance the standard of the sport's development in Thailand a great deal," he told BBC Radio Four's Today programme.

"Why does the prime minister want to invest in Liverpool? Because it is the era of the brand name and with a good quality brand name you can do many things.

"Liverpool's name is a world-class name - people attach their fantasies, their liking for sports, their enhancement in life, their self-development, along with this kind of team."

Reds chairman David Moores and Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry have been in Bangkok working on the deal.

And the Thai fan club's president, Boonchai Mongkolratankorn, said all Liverpool supporters would be happy that marketing merchandise in Asia would help buy new players.

"The prime minister shouldn't have anything to do with management of the club but I think he wants a say in buying and selling players," Boonchai said.

"I'm not sure if the prime minister is really a Liverpool fan," he added. "He says he is but when Manchester United were here, he said he supported them."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Whhat do people think of this news? I think that Owen saying that he will not leave on a free is great news. I also heard on the radio this morning that Owen would be encouraged to stay on at the club if there was major investment. In come the Thai prime minister. I am not so sure about this investment. Although it may signal the end of Houllier as it appears that Parry's major shareholding will be diluted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Originally posted by cruiserweight
    I think that Owen saying that he will not leave on a free is great news.

At least that means we wont have another steve mcmanaman situation.
    I reckon by the way things are goin Owen will sign a contract and if things
    dont work out the best with next season / or the summer signings he will
    leave then. But hopefully with a few decent signings like Cisse, Mexes
    and SWP Liverpool will be at least up there challenging next year with a decent run in the Champions League
    "The prime minister shouldn't have anything to do with management of the club but I think he wants a say in buying and selling players," Boonchai said.

Interested to see how that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Last October a couple of Manc mates placed a bet with me that Michael Owen would leave the club in the summer 2004 for a nominal fee. Initially they wanted the stake to be €5, which to my mind was a nothing bet so I suggested they make it worth my while with a stake of €100. Too rich for their blood, I was accused of uping the stake to a ridiculous amount to scare them off - obviously they weren't too confident of winning the bet. Eventually we settled on €20 being the bet and now their welching on that - typical! :D
    Thaksin, chasing a 30% stake, is likely to buy his shares from the 51% owned by Anfield chairman David Moores, meaning Liverpool may not profit directly.
    In which case there is zero benefit to the club while the Thai prime minister gets to ride on the popularity of the Liverpool brand.

I would be concerned that as the major share holder in the club he would start meddling in the clubs affairs if he thought it would score him points with the Thai public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I always get the impression from Owen that he's not a big fan of Mr. Houllier.

I reckon he'd sign a 3 or 4 year contract if Liverpool got a new manager.

However, if Houllier stays (which looks likely), then I'd say the best Liverpool fans could hope for would be a 12 month extension to his current contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Some other great news I think of is Newcastle dropping points tonight at Southampton. If it goes to a situation where Liverpool only need to draw to get 4th against newcastle then I can see disaster written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

buying in the name of thailand though?

is that allowed another country owning a football club?

Advertisement