Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updates on broadband.gov.ie ...

• 11-05-2004 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi there!

Yesterday I did my regular check of broadband availability in my (soon to be) area. To my surprise it showed up two DSL providers (Netsource and PureTelecom?)

Am I going crazy? The exchange is in a village called Ballygar in Co. Galway.

Of course today I try to check this again and the .gov.ie site is not responding. Any info from those in the know?

/Zith

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

alot of information on that site aint correct at all, it lists dsl as being available in towns were my relations live and dsl clearly aint there, also it only lists digiwebdsl being available in my town when but in reality we have them all with the exception of esatbt business dsl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Zith
    Hi there!

Yesterday I did my regular check of broadband availability in my (soon to be) area. To my surprise it showed up two DSL providers (Netsource and PureTelecom?)

Am I going crazy? The exchange is in a village called Ballygar in Co. Galway.

Of course today I try to check this again and the .gov.ie site is not responding. Any info from those in the know?

/Zith

So it lists two DSL providers and neither of them is Eircom, How likely is this really? since eircom own the exhange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Okay, fair enough. It seemed too good to be true.

I guess I held some hope after reading about this initiative in Galway for group broadband schemes similar to the water schemes.

Never mind, the waiting continues........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

What initiative in Galway ?

By Whom ?

Where ?

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Zith

Found this:
    BROADBAND
    [some electoral candidate] has welcomed the announcement by Dermot Ahern, TD, of the E25 million Group Broadband Scheme to deliver high speed broadband into our small communities over three years.
    The scheme will be open to all smaller and rural communities of less than 1.500 people and is modelled on the Group Water Scheme which will empower local communities to draw up and implement their own broadband plans in partnership with broadband service providers. The Government is to provide 55% capital funding, the maximum allowable under EU rules with half of the funding payable at the commercial launch of broadband services to local businesses and residents. The balance of the funding will be allocated when the scheme reaches the minimum subscriber targets for the projects.
    These services will reduce the peripherality of smaller and rural communities, and will lead to improved employment opportunities, a more favourable investment environment and make rural villages and hinterlands more economically sustainable.

Here: Western People

Saw it on the Tuam Herald site originally but found it here also.

Edit: Better link here

/Zith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I think you could be waiting for some time to come before Ballygar exchange will be enabled. Your best bet is Irishwan . I would suggest posting there in the galway section - giving details of your location. That way, if theres anyone else interested in the area already - or in the future - they will see your post and can get in contact.

Eircom et al are not going to provide for country areas like ours - so the sooner people get involved in building the wan, the better it will be for us all. Basic equipment can be had for approx. €150.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Irishwan is by far the best bet for starters and a great learning tool and community site no matter where you are in terms of expertise and technical advice .

If you want to find out who else is interested you should announce a meeting on the subject in the greater area, read it from the pulpits on sunday and tell Galway Bay FM, you would be amazed at the interest and expertise thats actually out there even in very rural areas.

It takes about 4 or 5 committed abnd reasonably technically aware people to make a decent fist of something like this, go find them, they are there. BB is available in Tuam, Athenry Roscommon Town and Ballinasloe. The area between them is about 500 Sq Miles.

M

Advertisement