Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Modem/.Router ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

A hub is a simple (and cheap) device that you plug your PC's (and this router) into in order to make a simple LAN. A switch is like a hub except its far more efficient - only sends data to the port it is destined for, hubs broadcast all packets to all ports.
    Must dsl routers come with integrated switches, but this one appears not to, thus you need a hub or switch to plug it into if you want more than 1 pc to share the internet connection.

I have UTV and got my own router, a D-Link DSL504. This one has a built in 4-port switch, does the job niceley. I have a wireless access point also with its own 4 port switch plugged into it, so I have plenty of available ports for expansion later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Can you stick the usb modem into that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by bush

No, i've never seen a hub that can have usb connections. You'd need an ethernet modem so you can plug it into the hub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

You don't need to - the DSL-504 replaces the modem supplied by your ISP. (The DSL-504 is a "DSL modem" itself).

Ive found out this is the modem/router that utv supply

http://www.zyxel.com/product/model.php?indexcate=1037601390&indexcate1=1021877946&indexFlagvalue=1021873638#
    Are you sure? UTV have been supplying a USB modem by default up to now, but that model has an ethernet port. (Apparently you can get an ethernet modem from UTV for an additional fee - maybe that's what this one is).

• Advertisement

Yeah forgot to say thats the one they supply for an extra fee.
    Im trying to this for for as little as possible. The ethernet modem costs an extra 50 from utv.
    What would be cheaper

Buy a modem/router myself or
    Take utvs ethernet modem for 50 and buy a hub or switch myself

???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

A friend of mine got UTV bband last month and he had to pay extra for an ethernet modem.

If I were you, i'd get a cheap belkin/netgear/linksys router/switch/modem in one...hey, push the boat out and get a wireless version :)
    Better than having a hub AND a modem and loads of wires everywhere

Buy a modem/router myself or
    Take utvs ethernet modem for 50 and buy a hub myself
    ???
    There seems to be relatively little demand for modem/routers now, as UTV is the only company that doesn't supply an ethernet device by default. That means that, if you want to buy your own modem, it's probably cheaper to buy one with wireless than without (like the DSL-604+). That'll cost you about €125.

To get UTV's ethernet option and a switch will cost you about €80-€85. (You might as well buy a switch rather than a hub - the last time I checked, the price difference was negligible, and the hubs didn't support 100Mbit/second connections).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I got UTV activated last week. Next day the router i had ordered arrive Prestige 645-a1. all the settings were already set up. it only cost a extra €50 on top of the €99 set-up fee. This connected like a dream. connected a hub and now have 4 pc's in the house funning off the one line. unlike the usb modem YOU own the router/modem. at only €50 its a good price. the only annoying thing they supplied one crossed cable with it and to connect to a hub you need straight cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

You could also just get yourself a router with 4 or more Ethernet ports. I don't know if this is cheaper than €50 for the UTV ethernet modem + €? for a hub, but it'd cut down on the amount of gadgets you've got lying about the place.

• Advertisement

But someone told me that you cant put a usb modem into a router. Is that true?

But someone told me that you cant put a usb modem into a router. Is that true?
    There's a confusion of terms here. There are "broadband routers" and there are "DSL routers". A broadband router will work with any broadband service (DSL, cable, wireless) as long as there's an ethernet connection to plug the router into. Obviously, you can't plug one of these "broadband routers" into a USB device.

Technically, a "DSL modem" is really a "DSL router" (though, in some cases, it's configured as a bridge rather than a router). So Kobie is talking about a "DSL router" that has DSL specific smarts built in, and that plugs directly into the DSL line, and not into an ethernet port. It will replace the USB device provided by IOL, not work in conjuction with it. It's definitely a neater solution than getting an ethernet "modem" (really a 1 port router) and a hub or switch, but I don't have a pointer to one at a good price at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No, that one requires an ethernet modem to be connected to it. You need one with the modem built in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

My apologies - I was indeed refering to a DSL router. Just took a quick look & they seem to be €100+ , so I don't know if you're better off with seperate units. If you're technically inclined though the DSL routers (at least any that I've seen) allow you to log in - usually through a web interface, so you can play around with the various settings, see the statisitics etc.

Advertisement