Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky News Ireland

• 11-05-2004 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Having watched last night:

Good Points
    • The set looks well, the presentation and the production quality was top-notch.
    • It certainly comes across as a fresh, exciting new departure for Irish media
    • Sky (despite their graphic faux pas with the map earlier this week), did manage to make the show 'Irish' - no references to 'Eire', Irish staff, only Irish, Irish interest or 'truly international' stories featured (i.e. no timefiller report taken from Sky UK and served up as being an 'international' story when in fact it would be mainly of concern to UK viewers).
    • Made excellent use of the Sky News resources - foreign correspondents, helicopter, Adam Boulton, etc.
      Good regional coverage, with reports filed from the West, Midlands, Linfield alongside Dublin.
    • Being able to access a looping version of the news all night is definitely a plus.

Bad Points
    • Perhaps a little too tabloid for me - 'exclusive' was used on at least 2 stories, neither of which could be described as 'earth shattering'.
    • I got the distinct impression that I was watching more of a review / magazine type show, many of the reports could've been recorded last week - Dromoland Castle, the Tram story, the Smoking in India story, even the top story 'fixed contracts' could have been teed up a few days ago. The only story that struck me as 'Today's news' was the Tullamore reaction to that mornings story of it being the dirties town in Ireland.
    • While there was excellent use of resources for the first night (noted above), I did cynically ponder if they will last the duration - how often will we have Adam Boulton in Dublin? When will the chopper be back?
    • Likewise, I'd hope that more 'British' stories filling space in Irish bulletins won't become the lazy norm as time goes on?
    • They are even more brazen with their text-ins than TV3 (a practice I despise). Immediately after the first item Grainne was promoting a biased poll the main intention of which appears to be to generate as many premium-rate texts / active votes.

Advertisement