Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermal Paste application

Options
  • 11-05-2004 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I know your only meant to apply a tiny little of paste on to the cpu die (amd) but why do they provide a teplate that you can use to apply it which covers a larger area that of the cpu die?
    Using the template you apply the past to the heatsink, not the cpu die!
    The first time i applied the paste i used the template and then found out your only meant to use a little bit so i reaplied paste.
    I've now noticed the cpu runs alot warmer than when i used the template, covering a larger area of the heatsink.

Jozi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yeah the thermal paste on my AMD is all over the place, although I'd originally only put it on the die, repositioning the heatsink while trying to clip it on, ended up smudging it all over the place, added to the pressure of the heatsink squashing on the paste... hmm actually I think I used like half the tube :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

the unofficial amount is equivalent to half a grain of rice
    just put it in the middle of the die and squash down with heat sink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I used a template on the bottom of the heatsink.
    Much easier to use template, less messy and you can get a nice even finish on the paste.

One thing that bugs me more than putting the paste on, is getting the heatsink on.
    Why is it so awkward to get them on.
    Surely someone can come up with a simple secure locking mechanism for heatsinks.

Sorry to get off topic.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I think they are pretty handy to get on, just require a tiny bit of force.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

yep - when you think that you are just about to break it, you are just right !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Only hate taking it on/off when the only way i can do it is by taking the mobo out of the case! Prob better to as it gets more support on a flat surface and wont snap as quick that way.

So a little bit is the way to do it then???

I do agree the template is handy and its done evenly

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Originally posted by fenris
    yep - when you think that you are just about to break it, you are just right !

Breaking the fan is okay, but I was thinking I was about to break the mobo... lol :D

Advertisement