Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 --> vodafone --> O2 again.

Options
  • 11-05-2004 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I can't get my hands on an O2 N-gage so I'm thinking of getting the vodafone bonus pack for 99 euros online.

Now, I know I can transfer my SIM to vodafone for 12 euros and they give you 12 euros of credit free (so essentially it's a free transfer) and from there I should be able to claim any free credit that comes with the N-gage bonus pack (can anyone confirm that free credit does come with the bonus pack? I don't really understand Vodafone's method of naming their packs).

Anyway, assuming I get my 60 euros of free credit...can I then swap back to O2 by paying 12 quid for a SIM transfer again?

Most people I know are on O2 and while I don't mind being on Vodafone for the duration of the free credit, I would like to swap back asap after the credit is finished.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

In the same situation - Am an 02 customer - just go the bonus pack.

It does include a leaflet that gives you credit if you re-register. On the form it asks you to supply the IMEI from the phone.

My question is - if I give the credit to me mate will he still get it even if he's not using the actual phone that corresponds to that IMEI ? Or does anyone know if they just use it to stop everyone using the same bonus pack ?

Btw, it does come with FIFA 2004 and I intend to unlock it and use it as my O2 handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭chabsey

So that bonus pack does come with credit? How much do they offer?

Good to know someone else is in the same position. I was really keen to get the free O2 credit though cause on upgrade it's 80 euros free which basically meant the n-gage cost you only 19 euros.

I might consider it if Vodafone offer a similar amount.

It's 60 euros if you register online, 40 otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

Your both doing it wrong! Screw vodafone! Buy the ngage unlock it. switch to meteor save an absolute fortune and it comes with €100 credit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by long_b
    In the same situation - Am an 02 customer - just go the bonus pack.

It does include a leaflet that gives you credit if you re-register. On the form it asks you to supply the IMEI from the phone.

My question is - if I give the credit to me mate will he still get it even if he's not using the actual phone that corresponds to that IMEI ? Or does anyone know if they just use it to stop everyone using the same bonus pack ?
    It's just registered with Vodafone as being his phone, no biggie. If it's stolen, you get him to ring up and say his phone has been stolen so they can block it.

It won't prevent you from using it with your SIM.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by davkav
    Your both doing it wrong! Screw vodafone! Buy the ngage unlock it. switch to meteor save an absolute fortune and it comes with €100 credit!!

This sounds too good to be true. What comes with 100 euro credit?? I presume you mean a new Meteor SIM pack? If so then that might just seal the deal.

Also, when you say 'save a fortune' if I mainly call O2 numbers will I make much of a saving? I know no one on Meteor so the free txt thing doesn't apply to me I think.

The 100 euros does appeal obviously!

I've been reading some threads about IMEI's and (un)blocking on different networks.

Looks like if I use my unlocked ngage on the O2 network, the chances are they will know it is (or was) a vodafone handset. Apparently they each get a set of IMEI's.

But how are O2 to know whethere Vodafone unlocked the phone for me or I unlocked it meself ? If they can't I'm away in a hack :)

(no pun intended)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Originally posted by chabsey
    I don't really understand Vodafone's method of naming their packs).

Bonus pack (noun)= sim free pack, upgrade pack.
    From what I've heard, steer clear of Meteor cos they've crap coverage.
    That coverage map on their website is a product of extreme optimism! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

dunnes have meteor sim cards on offer at the moment, and silly amounts of credit on them, but meteors coverage isnt great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I recently switched from O2 to meteor. Much much cheaper.

+Cheapest text messages in ireland ( provided your not buying in bulk)
    +Phone calls are 13c a minute to any network off peak
    +Phone calls are 55c a minute peak rate
    +Top by €20 a month you get €10 free credit for the first 10 months and free texts/picture message to other meteor custumers
    + Dropped call compensation, 9c each time when you have been on longer than a minute.
    +Roam anywhere in the world

Say that to your friends and they will switch over. Mine did, I have a trick*

Coverage is perfect in Dublin, haven't been out side that much but going down the N11 to wexfor it was spot on.

*Everytime I need to top up by €20, I buy a sim pack for €20, use the credit and give a free sim pack to a friend. Once you tell your friend the stuff I wrote above and hand them a free sim pack they'll switch!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I wouldn't get a Vodafone NGage in your situation. A Vodafone NGage has the Vodafone Live! software preprogrammed into it so even if you switch to O2 or Meteor you'll always have that Vodafone Live button on the phone as oppose to Meteor WAP or O2 Active. If don't live in the sticks and want the cheapest calls to O2 then switch to Meteor.

The NGage is available with Meteor as well but their free call credit is issued in instalments over several months.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Originally posted by stereo_steve
    I recently switched from O2 to meteor. Much much cheaper.

+.
    +Roam anywhere in the world

Assuming they manage to enable it , also add-in crap customer care, inefficient/non-existent supervisors, multiple debiting of credit cards (we'll refund you with Meteor Credit - yeah right), inability to resolve problems unless you literally hound them..

Originally posted by Slice
    I wouldn't get a Vodafone NGage in your situation. A Vodafone NGage has the Vodafone Live! software preprogrammed into it so even if you switch to O2 or Meteor you'll always have that Vodafone Live button on the phone.

Didn't think of that, cheers! I (hopefully) have managed to get an O2 one so there should be no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 90s

Originally posted by huh!
    dunnes have meteor sim cards on offer at the moment, and silly amounts of credit on them, but meteors coverage isnt great

any more info on this offer???

Advertisement