Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doug Ellis - a nutter?

• 11-05-2004 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Ellis lays down gauntlet for O'Leary (The Guardian - May 11, 2004)
    Doug Ellis has warned his manager David O'Leary that challenging for a Champions League place is the minimum requirement for Aston Villa next season.

"David O'Leary has done a superb job this season and I'm delighted with him," the Villa chairman said. "But whatever he may say, we can challenge the top five next season. The sky is the limit. That's the minimum requirement - the top four."

O'Leary, who succeeded Graham Taylor a year ago, has exceeded expectations and his own objectives during his first season at Villa Park.

Villa finished three points clear of the relegation zone in Taylor's last season and O'Leary's brief was to keep the club in the Premiership and slash the wage bill. In the event only goal difference may deprive them of a Champions League place.

O'Leary's success has raised the bar. Ellis has set his sights on the Champions League because it is vastly more profitable than the Uefa Cup.

"The Uefa Cup does not produce a lot of money, unlike the Champions League," argued Ellis. "If you get drawn against a club in Ukraine, for example, you lose money. The Uefa Cup is not a good money-spinner although it excites the fans."

Ellis claims there is more money available for incoming transfers than his manager anticipates. "Three more players would be sensible in my view," he said. "David O'Leary would like to make it five. But things can change very quickly."

O'Leary has done well with a restricted transfer budget and his three signings - Thomas Sorensen (£2.25m), Gavin McCann (£2.25m) and Nolberto Solano (£1.5m) - have all been successes. But he has also released or sold 11 players, leaving the club understaffed.

"This is a bare-bones squad," he said after Villa's 1-1 draw at Southampton on Saturday. "No one's told me there will be anything extra in the transfer budget if we get into Europe, but I hope so. I was told when I got here to lose 12 players from the squad, reduce the wage bill and not to be relegated. The next step is hopefully to bring players in."

Villa yesterday announced a new sponsorship deal involving the kit makers Hummel and the investment fund managers DWS, a member of the Deutsche Bank Group. The deal will be worth up to £8m over the next four years.
    Man Utd, Liverpool and Newcastle have seriously under performed this season and suddenly Doug Ellis suffers from altitude sickness! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

After comments like that, he will have to give O'Leary funds to improve the Villa squad, or he will be under severe pressure from the Villa fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Doug Ellis must be one of the stupidest chairmen going. This Villa season is probably like Everton last season; a fluke. Now he has it going to his head, he wants the same kind of success without putting any money in whatsoever :rolleyes:

Good luck to Villa but without a more long-term-planning chairman who isn't already 140 or whatever age Ellis is, it's not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

In reply to the question, is Doug Ellis a Nutter, in a word YES.

Jesus, he should be giving O'Leary money to go out and get players, surely to God Villa will receive a certain prizemoney for finishing in the top 5 ( where I think they will finish ). This money should be given straight to O'Leary to improve the squad. What Villa and O'Leary have achieved this season is nothing short of a miracle, and I believe that if Angel had not been out injured recently, then Villa would definitely have secured 4th place in the last two weeks.

O'Leary has built a good side, and with money to spend could definitely become the 4th team in the Premier. While they may never be able to challenge Chelsea or Manchester United in the cash stakes, O'Leary could rival Wenger for transfer nous. It would not be easy to tempt big name players to Birmingham, but O'Leary is a good young manager, and that can often influence where players go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

FFS what sort of a dope is he? I don't agree that AVs season is necessarily a fluke, I believe O' Leary to be a good manager, however if Ellis only input is this kind of unsettling, unrealistic crap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nutter:confused:

Emm, I think thats being too nice to be fair.

He's going on about Gregory signing Balaban for 9 million as if he wasn't at the club at the time, someone should remind doug that he was chairman at the time and he was the one who appointed Gregory (who I happen to think done a pretty good job).

Villa should be a top 6 - 8 side, Arsenal, Chelsea, Utd, Liverpool and Newcastle should be ahead of us with their wealth.

Villa is a very stable business but a stable business will never mount a serious challenge if it stays as it is.

People have posted here before the reasons why Ellis is still there and basically it's because he stands to make money, especially from land that is being rezoned.

Aston Villa has one of the best stadiums in the league, and an excellent youth policy but while Deadly Doug is there we will never challenge.

David O'Leary will have his work cut out to get a top 8 finish next season if he only has €6 million to spend.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by seansouth
    Jesus, he should be giving O'Leary money to go out and get players, surely to God Villa will receive a certain prizemoney for finishing in the top 5 ( where I think they will finish ).
    A team gets an extra £500,000 for every place in the table, so last year they received £2.5mil, if they finish 5th this season they will get £8mil. The UEFA cup is going to have a group stage after the 1st round next season so that will also bring a huge increase in revenue. They also got 11 player off the wage bill (and a further 2 or 3 will follow in the summer) and their attendances will be a lot higher next season. Villa are one of the few clubs not in debt, O'Leary deserves at least 10-15mil, as much as Curbishly is getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The chap is a wanker..

Liverpool, United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Newcastle have spent 50+ million each over the past few seasons and are going to spend a massive amount this summer again.

6 million is not sufficient to allow Villa to compete consistently!! This season could prove to be a one off success unless Deadly Doug gives some more cash!! Look at Everton this season after last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

i dunno.

I agree some extra cash should be availible for O'Leary. However, look what happened to leeds.
    The cash isn't being made availible to O'Leary but he is still making the team perform.
    He did state that he had a 2 year plan and that was before he ever got near a champo leaguespot.

I'd say if they upped the Wage budget a bit and signed a few freebies (Possibly amoruso) and spend a bit on the likes of van bommel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I think the guardian took ellis` comments slightly out of context. I doubt his statement that 5th is the minimum requirement implies that o`leary`s job is in danger if he finishes below that position. Its merely a statement of the ambition of the management, board, players and fans of aston villa football club.

The same newspaper said that Juan pablo angel would leave if the team did not finish fourth. Angel is on the verge of signing a new contract. what he said was that if the team did finish fourth he would have a greater incentive to stay.

Advertisement