Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booting without keyboard

Options
  • 11-05-2004 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I have a PC with Windows XP Pro installed that I want
    to boot without a keyboard or mouse attached, but
    when it boots it gives a "keyboard error or no keyboard
    present" error. I've gone in to the BIOS settings
    (Phoenix Award WorkstationBIOS CMOS Setup Utility)
    but I can't see any setting that would fix it.

Anyone got any ideas as to how to fix it??. Is it a
    registry setting or a BIOS setting??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

I'm not sure that you can do this with that BIOS....I could be wrong though.

Headless booting requires a special BIOS/Mobo I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

colm is right - it's bios dependant

If you just need to boot it once can u borrow a mouse kb and plug it out after bios check?
    alternatively you could buy a kb & mouse dongle
    (mimics presence of kb & mouse)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Do you get "No keyboard detected, press Del to enter setup"? :D:D
    But seriously, I thought Award Bios' had a setting for halt on errors. Could have been in the first setting screen (can't remember name, the on at top left) or advanced Bios features. Something like
    Halt on error: (all but keyboard/mouse) (all) (something else)
    Then you just select which conditions it should halt on, if any. It's been a while since I had a mobo with Award bios though (BP6, about 4 years ago). Lately they've all been stupid AMI, though my current AMI bios is very usable. If the setting isn't there though you're goosed. Buy a cheep keyboard/mouse and leave them connected.

Advertisement