Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applied Maths question re: linear motion.

• 11-05-2004 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Acceleration: a
    Deceleration: b
    Distance: s
    Starts and ends at rest (0).

Show that if there is a speed limit of 'v' m/s the time taken to complete the journey will be:

v/2a + v/2b + s/v

I am finding this question very hard!

Okay, we have three seperate phases:

1. Acceleration
    v = u + at => t = v/a

2. Cruising
    s = v*t => t = s/v (I've gotten this bit right.)

3. Deceleration
    v = u + at => 0 = v + bt => t = -v/b
    [v = 0, ends at rest; u = v]

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

[Exercise 2C, Question 20, Part (i) in Fundamental Applied Mathematics in case anyone is interested.]

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

How come the deceleration period doesnt mention "b". I think thats your first mistake. Also I am suspect about zeroing v in phase 3 too but I need to reread some linear mechanics before I go telling you that.

Pretty sure about the "b" thing though :)

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Right, if "v" is the speed limit then "u" in the deceleration equation can be set to "v" (since its topped out at the speed limit... no boy-racers here!)

Sorry that I cant prove the theorem for you but this is your homework I'm just being helpful :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

It's actually revision for ye olde summer exams, not quite the leaving cert but still important (to me, anyway)... thanks for your help on the u = v thing but the a/b thing in the deceleration equation was just a slip. It's fixed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

I dont really think you can 'point somebody in the right direction' for a question like this, I'd say everybody does it in some different way. I always hated these accelerated linear motion, I think the approach to answering these questions is so counter-intiuitive, well counter-my intuition anyway, and they never work out for me.

I assumed three phases like yourself, with three separate times t1,t2,t3 and used the fact that t1 = v/a, t3 = v/b and that t = (t1 + t2 + t3) to solve it. I may well be doing this in the most roundabout fashion.. but this is the first method I approached it with.
    Anyway, ive posted my full solution to this, so if you dont want to know it.. stop reading now.

I say....

s = s1 + s2 + s3
    = (v/2)(t1) + (v)(t2) + (v/2)(t3)

add (v/2)(t1) and (v/2)(t3) to both sides, you get

s + v(t1)/2 + v(t3)/2 = v(t1 + t2 + t3)

and (t1 + t2 + t3) = t
    so..

s + vt1/2 + vt3/2 = vt

divide by v on both sides

s/v + t1/2 + t3/2 = t

but.. t1 = v/a and t3 = v/b

so

t = v/2a + v/2b + s/v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

I always found it useful to draw a diagram, with Time on the X-axis and Velocity on the Y-axis. Then you can chart the velocity (in the form of a wedge-shape), which makes the mental work a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A time-velocity graph is a good thing to draw here. Use the area underneath to find the distance and then make subsitutions from v = u + at for the individual times that you've assumed in order to draw the graph

the solution to the question, which is stated as part of the question, contains factors of a half, which immediately makes me think of the area of a triangle and time-velocity graphs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Think of average speeds.

T1=V/A.
    V changes from 0 to 'v' m/s with constant acceleration so V=(0+v)/2 = v/2
    So T1 = (v/2)/A = v/2A

Similiarly T3 = v/2B

T2 = s/v

So Time taken = T1+T2+T3 = v/2A + s/v + v/2b

NB: You were mixing up your V and your v

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Your mistake is that you've taken the distance travelled at constant speed as being the total distance travelled. You have to work out the distance travelled at constant speed separately, see bit in bold.
    V = 0 + at1
    t1 = V/a

0 = V - bt3
    t3 = V/b

V^2 = 0 + 2as1
    s1 = V^2/2a

0 = V^2 - 2bs3
    s3 = V^2/2b

[B]s = s1 + s2 + s3
    s2 = s - s1 - s3
    s2 = s - V^2/2a - V^2/2b[/B]

t2 = s2/V
    t2 = (s - V^2/2a - V^2/2b)/V

t = t1 + t2 + t3
      = V/a + V/b + s/V - V/2a - V/2b
      = V/2a + V/2b + s/V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭M@lice

Draw your velocity vs time graph.

Then total distance traveled = Area under graph

After a quick read of the question that looks like the key right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

well one way or another, draw draw draw, you get stupidly high ammounts of marks for just diagrams and inital eqn's in applied maths, its only like 5marks for getting the solution.

that and back in my day i found lc linear motion stuff became a hell of alot easier with a diagram.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Well you can't say one way is better than the other. Different methods are better for different questions. If there's more than one change in acceleration it's much easier to use a diagram, if there's no change in acceleration then definitely equations only.

Advertisement