Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a new motorbike

Options
  • 11-05-2004 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

I will shortly be buying a new bike, and I'm shopping around at the moment for a good price. One of the possibilities is to buy in the North. But I'm a little confused by the following statement from the Revenue Commissioners website

The VRT will be calculated by the official at the VRO following inspection of the vehicle. In the case of a used vehicle you must present the foreign registration document. If the vehicle is new, VAT is also payable.

So the VRT is straight forward - €2 per cc, but what's the situation with VAT - are they really expecting us to pay 17.5pc VAT in the North, and then pay it again @21pc when importing to the South ? Has anybody else been through this ? BTW, I tried phoning the VRO to check but they never answer the phone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

afaik if its less than 6 months old u will be charged vat as well as vrt when u import it.just another rip off i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

are they really expecting us to pay 17.5pc VAT in the North, and then pay it again @21pc when importing to the South ?

Yes - but you should be able to get your 17.5% VAT paid back when you export the vehicle. The rather poor HM Gov. Revenue site may yield some info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭solaris

Thanks for the link - I've emailed the NI revenue people to see if it is possible to claim the UK VAT back. I'll post an update when I get a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭solaris

Confirmed that VAT should not be paid in the North if the vehicle is new, but paid down here instead. The shop (Charles Hurst) in the North didn't seem to be aware of this, though they claim to sell lots of bikes to southerners. Perhaps they are never re-registered! Here is the official line.

Advertisement