Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Neutering

• 11-05-2004 10:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Hey,

A dog up the road is currently in heat and its driving my dog nuts. She was in heat not so long ago so were considering getting our dog neutered just in case he knocks her up. He's been acting differently to usual, like going ballistic at other dogs that go near the dog in heat and loses attention alot quicker when were going for walks.

Also i heard that it can calm the dog down around this time, is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Would you like to have your nuts cut off and your sex drive hit rock bottom as a result

Personally I don't agree with dogs getting neutered.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Rabies - Any particular reason for not having them neutered? There are some very good reasons for getting them neutered, and offhand I can't think of a reason not to (bar you breeding dogs).

Anima - I've got a 7 month old pup that i'll be getting neutered soon, before you decide have a look at this page.

Has quite a bit of information and FAQ's.

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by MarkR
    Rabies - Any particular reason for not having them neutered? There are some very good reasons for getting them neutered, and offhand I can't think of a reason not to (bar you breeding dogs).
    As already said it is a personal reason, my opinion.

If it is done to a young dog it won't effect them as much when they grow older. they won't know what to do or have any desire to mate.

That link you posted was aimed at people who allow their dogs to run free when in heat. All animals act differently when the a hopeful partner is in heat.
    This young female dog was picked up by the Limerick Animal Welfare group. Annie was never spayed by her owners, and left to wander the streets in season. She was rescued from a pack of male dogs in pursuit of her.

If you own a female dog, she should be kept on your property until she is out of season. It will only last a few days to a week. She can still be taken for walks, just make sure she is on a lead. Its not a difficult.

With a male dog, if you know a nearby dog is in season then make him away from that dog. He will try his best to get to her. Take him for walks, make sure he is on a lead.

Its easy to take care of dogs during situations like that. There is no need to neuter your dog when it isn't need. Its only an easy way out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i think its not just female dogs need to be neutered its males aswell i know there are alot of stray mangie dogs in this country wandering around then the likes of the I.S.P.C.A have to spend loads of time & money looking after them as a result of you not getting your dog neutered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I foster unwanted dogs coming from Ashton pound & I'd suggest "taking the easy way out" There are thousands of dogs killed each year in pounds & lots are strays.

Dogs stray for lots of reasons & one is going after a bitch in heat. If you have 12 foot walls (I have 10 foot walls round my garden & an un-neutered lab x jumped them to get to the dog next door!) and a secure gate & can keep your dog in then there is no need to neuter. But if there's a chance, however small, that the dog will get out or get into another dogs garden then get it neutered/ spayed!!

And you wont always know when a bitch will come into season in your area. What if she's a stray and gets into your garden? Your dog will get her pregnant and there will be another litter of unwanted puppies.

The one that really got to me recently was the terrier puppies: There was a litter of 5 3 week old pups handed into the pound 2 weeks ago cos they couldn't be arsed to spay the mother & a neighbours dog got to her. :( The "owners" wouldnt even let them stay til they were 8-10 weeks old.

Spay and neuter please. Just cos you'd be responsible bout the pups doesnt mean the owners of the other dog will.... :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement