Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eBay! so funny...

• 11-05-2004 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

this was spammed in an irc channel im in and it made me wet myself! I couldnt believe someone was so dumb and slow as to actually bid for it!

If you check the comments, the chap that bought it later posted...

THIS

That is class! The first i've seen on eBay, and i think its hillarious... although i wouldnt if it happened to me.. but it didnt! so hahaha

reD.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

ROFL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Poor bastard !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by Tusky
    Poor bastard !

replace 'Poor' with 'Dumb'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the words "Clearly Stated" should be stamped into this man's forehead.

Moron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

ah bless him...

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ranks right up there with the ebay sale of a nice picture of a PS2 a few years ago.

This one was even more specific that what was on offer was in fact a box.

Kudos to the seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

lmfao, what a twit, £120 for a box
    *cracks up*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Cant believe someone fell for that. Poor guy lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

funniest thing iv seen in a long time heh :) dumb ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

lol! poor fool...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

poor guy, i didnt get it at first cause i didnt read it properly.
    scabby !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

lol, poor dumb sod

i got an xbox box for sale, 2 missing controllers 5 games cases and guarenteed no mod chip fitted. open to offers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

omfg that is freakin hilarious...had me laughing for ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'll give you nothing and a threat note for that mukki, heh. :D

Poor dumb fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

It's not just 1 dumb ****, it's 10! 9 other idiots bid for it! Diddn't realise their where that many people online who can't read:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

supoib!!

what a fool, deserves to lose that much money for not reading what he was buying

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

How could anyone be that stupid????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Did he honestly think there was an X-box with a crystal case. I mean, if you are gonna spend that kinda money, email the seller, or at least read the blurb! Must keep boxes...you can make money on them apparently :)

/me goes off to sell magic beans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

there is a limited edition crystal style xbox, hedgetrimmer.
    little more than an xbox with clear casing...

i feel sorry for the poor fool that bought the box:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

ROFL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

what does the term "new in box" mean? I reckon it means that there is something new in the box...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Hehehe. What a muppet.

Something I just noticed that nobody else commented on ... He even had a reserve on the 'box' ! That makes the seller twice as conniving ... If he was actually just expecting to get a few quid for box why would he bother with a reserve ? I reckon the seller knew that some dumba$$ would fall for it.

I wonder if Ebay'll do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why should Ebay do anything about it, it says quite clearly that it is an Xbox box for sale, and "Use it to impress your friends by making them think you have a spiffing brand new crystal xbox".
    Anyone who bids either didn't read the sale properly, want's to buy an empty cardboard box for £115, or is just plain stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

...stupid is as stupid does... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gimpy

Hi. Im the guy that sold the box.

Incase your wondering 2 days after he paid he realised his mistake and asked for a refund, I would have given him it if he had been polite, but he emailed me with more abuse than you could belive, so I thought screw it.

Then he requested mediation from ebay (also including in the mediation notice a lot more abuse) Thing is he messed up again, on the mediation request he said he`d be happy to get a full refund or have the transaction carried out completly. Since I had sent the box and he had paid it was done. Ebay emailed me saying that his mediation request had been denied.

Also, I did get about 30 - 40 emails from people during the auction saying "is this jsut for a box" I replied to each one honestly and said yes. I even got 2 or 3 asking which dvd drive was in the xbox, I told them it was just for the box too.

Oh and about the reserve, it was set at £30, purely for the reason the auction was put up as a joke after discussing with my friend how you can sell anything on ebay, and since the post office is far away from my house I couldnt be bother to walk that far, so I put the reserve at something I never thought it would reach. I got prooved wrong :p

And thats the story, hope you enjoyed my auction :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

How Funny . The guy got what he deserves. He should have been more polite. It's why I ALWAYS read ebay auctions VERY closely .....often have reread some of them several times to figure out what I'm missing, especially if it's something I REALLY want and it seems to good to be true. Amazing how your mind can skip over important parts in your excitement. The fact that he misread the auction is no cause for rudeness. I clearly understood it was just for the box by the end of the auction description.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

What a cabbage...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

he got what he bidded for tbh.

what a pillock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

I got a lot of boxes, PC stuff and XBOX as well. I wonder whether he wants to buy them :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

I believe ya, Gimpy. It all makes sense now, hehe. Very very amusing. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by skittishkitten
    How Funny . The guy got what he deserves. He should have been more polite. It's why I ALWAYS read ebay auctions VERY closely .....often have reread some of them several times to figure out what I'm missing, especially if it's something I REALLY want and it seems to good to be true. Amazing how your mind can skip over important parts in your excitement. The fact that he misread the auction is no cause for rudeness. I clearly understood it was just for the box by the end of the auction description.

I've got a regular cardboard box with an X on it, maybe you could sell that for me? :p Classic.

In fairness, I think you should give the guy his money back or at least the money minus the eBay fees and reserve price. If we started punishing people for being stupid then I'm sure most of us would have been locked up years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

i think i'll try selling that old rope lying around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gimpy

Thats what I planned to do. UNtil he abused me. Youve seen the feedback he left, lets jsut say the email I was sent was a lot worse than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    In fairness, I think you should give the guy his money back or at least the money minus the eBay fees and reserve price. If we started punishing people for being stupid then I'm sure most of us would have been locked up years ago.

He's not being punished for his stupidity ....it's his lack of politeness that qualifies him for lack of refund. I would never refund money to someone that was rude and without a shred of common courtesy . Gimpy already stated IF he had been polite while asking for the refund he would have gotten it. But to use rudeness and leave negative feedback because of one's own stupidity is not the way to get a refund. I say serves him right . KEEP the money Gimpy for your time and misery !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

ROFL!

A good tip, your eyes spot mistakes (or in this case just to read it properly) a lot easier on paper, so If you're looking at an item, print out the details and read through it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

:p:p:p Some people are just plain stupid, i wonder if it was a PS2 box would have still bought it. Gimsy, thats a great idea just to prove how stupid some people are, always remember to read the small print, ha ha ha:D :D:D Classic!!!

Hi. Im the guy that sold the box.

Incase your wondering 2 days after he paid he realised his mistake and asked for a refund, I would have given him it if he had been polite, but he emailed me with more abuse than you could belive, so I thought screw it.

Then he requested mediation from ebay (also including in the mediation notice a lot more abuse) Thing is he messed up again, on the mediation request he said he`d be happy to get a full refund or have the transaction carried out completly. Since I had sent the box and he had paid it was done. Ebay emailed me saying that his mediation request had been denied.

Also, I did get about 30 - 40 emails from people during the auction saying "is this jsut for a box" I replied to each one honestly and said yes. I even got 2 or 3 asking which dvd drive was in the xbox, I told them it was just for the box too.

Oh and about the reserve, it was set at £30, purely for the reason the auction was put up as a joke after discussing with my friend how you can sell anything on ebay, and since the post office is far away from my house I couldnt be bother to walk that far, so I put the reserve at something I never thought it would reach. I got prooved wrong

And thats the story, hope you enjoyed my auction

youre a bleeding muppet, honestly.

Originally posted by Placebo
    youre a bleeding muppet, honestly.
    Why? If that's true, it sounds fair. Exactly what I'd do.

Person who goes on ebay, trying to sell a box, trying to show off to his mates or not, its tricking people.
    Muppetry some would call it. Others would call it funny.

What? There was no intention or attempt to trick or mislead anyone.

Friend 1: "You can sell anything on ebay"
    Friend 2: "No you can't."
    Friend 1: "Bet you I can"

So friend 1 goes and puts a box for sale. Describes it as a box, and even what you could do with it as a box. If you read the description, you might go "WTF", but you'll realise he's selling a box. Many people were smart enough to ask if it's just a box, but some guy bids £130 without reading the description or asking questions.

If he give gave him two fingers and laughed at him, I'd call him a muppet, but since the other guy decided instead of a single nice email, he sends a torrent of abuse, so the seller decided not to refund the cash. I'd do exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

can you blame him for reacting badly ? ... how can you say it's not misleading, what kind of cardboard box is in PAL Format, and it says "Platform: Microsoft Xbox .. Condition: New In Box.."

don't know if you could call it deceit, fraud or misleading, it's still bad form, just give the poor guy his money back

sigh

seamus, read the above.
    The title is very misleading, go read it again urself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

its a wonder this hasn't made the news!

seriouly well done gimpy, someone would have conned money out of that gullibal fool eventually so may as well be you, and i think we will all be more careful on ebay after reading this, so Thanks

Placebo, read the title carefully ffs, the title states: "Limited Edition Crystal Xbox box" it even states its a box in the title, and in the description, how is it misleading?

didnt mean title, the description inside, i dont have link right now, but il post what it was later, you can go check it,
    and FFS ? are you getting pissed off at me ? cause i think some on who tricked a guy into buying a box for more than 100 quid is a muppet?
    very nice.

Fine, the description is slightly misleading. But it did state clearly that it is a box. And then it tells you what you can do with it, really though, if it was an actually xbox would you have to "Use it to impress your friends by making them think you have a spiffing brand new crystal xbox sat at home"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Reminds me of an episode of family guy where peter is sold volcano insurance by a salesman where the contract is just "volcano insurance" over and over again with "he's buying it he's buying it i can beleive the stupid fool is buying it " in small print at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

www.p-p-p-powerbook.com

An even better story.

Shortened.

Person selling Powerbook on ebay.
    Scammer emails him outside of ebay asking to settle the transaction using a 3rd person website.
    Turns out the website has forged verisign etc links on it.
    The scammer was found out but we decided to play along with him anyway.

A laptop was made using a ring binder.
    It was shipped out with the price declared at $2500.
    People go scout out the address.
    People take pictures and videos etc of the scammer and go into his shop for haircuts (lol) etc.
    Package arrives.
    The guy ends up paying over 250 sterling to get the package due to VAT.
    All he got was a p-p-powerbook!

See full thread on SA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Classic,he prob thought he was getting a good deal with such cheap shipping aswell :p

omfg!! 666 posts...this thread is pure EviL

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I sent him a link to this thread the other day..I'm glad he popped in...

I thought it would be good to get an opinoin fro him!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement