Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eBay! so funny...

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Another entertaining auction on e-Bay

Used wedding dress for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

Sweet zombie Jesus ! 120 euro for a box! 0_o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Originally posted by #MEAT#
    Sweet zombie Jesus ! 120 euro for a box! 0_o
    120 pounds which is about 180 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Funnily enough people buy things on eBay not expecting to be ripped off.

The reserve price you set along with the ambiguous wording gave the impression that it was an x-box system you were selling. 'X-box box' could also refer to an x-box system. You could have worded it much clearer that it was just a cardboard box, such as 'THIS IS NOT AN X-BOX SYSTEM! IT IS ONLY A CARDBOARD BOX!' but you chose not too.

You are clearly an asshole, and I don't blame the guy for getting seriously pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 atlas

Brilliant - spent about ten minutes splitting myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by Agent Orange
    You are clearly an asshole, and I don't blame the guy for getting seriously pissed off.

Puh-lease. The buyer didn't bother to read the description, or even e-mail the seller about the product. He deserves everything he got.

*Everyone* knows you have to be careful on Ebay. What kind of dumbass buys something without actually reading the description properly?

I mean, christ, the description even says "Use it to impress your friends by making them think you have a spiffing brand new crystal xbox sat at home". It's not gimpy's fault the buyer can't read. I say fair play gimpy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gimpy

I think about %98 of people whove seen the auction have said they found it funny and I should keep the cash because the buyer was at fault. I know I put it in the wront catagory but as was pointed out in a thread on another board theres a lot of items on ebay in wrong catagories, and you shouldnt go by what an item is by the catagory and not read the auction.

Plus the fact ebay said the buyers was at fault and is not entitled to a refund kinda prooves my auction was fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I think its hilarious, i actually need an x-box box, you got any more gimpsy?

Seriously though, what happens if someone wants to legitimately sell an x-box box n Ebay in the future. Everyone will think they are just piss takers. You have set an ugly precedent and spoiled it for everyone else gimpsy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Did anyone else look at the bid history? That muppet wasn't the only bidder...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PFC Hudson

I've been following this auction since Gimpy created the thread over at the UK board in GameFAQs... With much amusement!

I'd like to say to anyone who doesn't find it funny or thinks Gimpy was deliberately out to rip someone off should either:

A) Get a sense of humour.
    B) Learn to read properly.

I showed the auction to two of my kids, aged 8 and 10, even they spotted exactly what he was selling, straight away and with no promting from me. My 10 year turned to me and asked why someone would pay £115.00 for just a box!

If you look at the thread at GameFAQs

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=313&topic=13715698

Gimpy (AKA Spaghettyhoop), explains many times why he made the auction and why he set a reserve. He honestly never thought anyone would even bid - Let alone pay!

The reason he had 'New in box' and 'PAL format' at the top of the auction is that you can't put an item in that type of auction without putting something in those spaces. There are enough clues in the item description to tell you what you are buying.

His entry includes the following information:

- It is placed in the category 'PC & Video Gaming > X-Box > Systems'

- Platform: Microsoft Xbox

- Condition: New In Box

- Format: PAL (UK Standard)

It's reasonable to assume that if you bid on this item, you're getting an Xbox system. By placing the item in the Xbox systems category, he was deliberately setting out to deceive potential buyers.

I think it's pathetic that anyone thinks it's hilarious to knowingly rip someone off like this.

How would you feel if it was you? Or are you too intelligent to fall for such an 'obvious' ruse? We've all fallen for hoaxes other people find obvious - only it hasn't cost us over 150 euro.

^ Are you the guy who won (Or bid on) the auction? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The buyer is a moron (either that, or english isn't his 'first' language). I laughed my ass off anyway.

When paying anything over €100 for something on eBay, I check, double check and triple check the item before bidding. Its common sense, ffs. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Chuckle chuckle chuckle :D What a fool. Betcha he was think OMG OMG what a bargain even for an XBOX! Imagine the freezeframe moment the package arrived :)

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

This is one to be included in the e-book guide to selling on ebay :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Bit of an odd one this, personally id say he ripped the guy off plain and simple.

The "It was all a big joke" defence keels over and dies as soon as he takes the guys money. If it was all for a laugh why didn't you clarify with the guy at the end of the auction EXACTLY what he was getting, I dont think you can say if hes stupid enough to pay it I'll take it and expect to walk away scot free.

Taking advantage of peoples tendancy not to read things as carefully as they should doesn't make you purer than the driven snow. The joke would wear off pretty rapidly if I said, "Yeah I was down the market yesterday and I seen this mentally disabled guy and I sold him an empty box by saying "You want an XBox box dirt cheap?". Personally I dont think any of my mates would see the humorous side of that.

I find this an another example of how impersonal the internet is, you'd never have done this to the guy if you'd met him in person to exchange the "goods" would you?

Chris

The "It was all a big joke" defence keels over and dies as soon as he takes the guys money. If it was all for a laugh why didn't you clarify with the guy at the end of the auction EXACTLY what he was getting, I dont think you can say if hes stupid enough to pay it I'll take it and expect to walk away scot free.

The seller, Gimpy, already said (Many times) that he was going to refund the money - But the buyer acted like a knob and sent abusive emails so Gimpy decided: "**** him".

"Yeah I was down the market yesterday and I seen this mentally disabled guy and I sold him an empty box by saying "You want an XBox box dirt cheap?". Personally I dont think any of my mates would see the humorous side of that.

If the buyer was/is mentally disabled then he/she shouldn't be allowed access to buy on ebay for their own good.

I find this an another example of how impersonal the internet is, you'd never have done this to the guy if you'd met him in person to exchange the "goods" would you?

Obviously you would be able to 'get away' with it in real life but that's what makes the whole auction so funny - That around 10 bidders made the same mistake too!

As I've said before, even my kids spotted that the auction was for just a box. Maybe if the buyer wants any info on future auctions he/she wants to bid on then he/she can email me and ask my kids. :D

ah come on, the guy was pissed cause he got an empty box ferchrisakes!

Why'd he take the cash in the first place was my point? Thats a display of intent is it not? I'll take it but I'll give it back if you ask nicely?

Id say hes thought "Treeemendous free money from this muppet" then thought "Hang on a minute this could look bad.........I'll say I wont give it back cause he was nasty to me"

Im not defending the guy that bought the box in question just that both sides are at fault and the moral thing to do would be give the guy the cash back.

You could have this discussion backwards and forwards for ages, its all about the nature of the chimpernet more than some boy and his xbox box. Remem that girl that sold her virginity on the ebay? Humorous or hooker? Inventive uni funding or morally bankrupt? Legal or Illegal?

Its a perspective thing.

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by calhob_ie
    Why'd he take the cash in the first place was my point? Thats a display of intent is it not? I'll take it but I'll give it back if you ask nicely?
    Edit: The guy didn't ask questions. He was buying a box. It's clearly stated. Why should the seller confirm it? Buyer beware and all that. It's up to the buyer to ensure that he knows what he's buying.
    Remem that girl that sold her virginity on the ebay? Humorous or hooker? Inventive uni funding or morally bankrupt? Legal or Illegal?

Its a perspective thing.
    I don't think she sold it on ebay. Even ebay has rules as to what you can and cannot sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Originally posted by seamus
    I don't think she sold it on ebay. Even ebay has rules as to what you can and cannot sell.

you're right. it was removed and sold via her site (AFAIK)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

1) its not funny, its sad
    2) he got abusive ? damn right he got abusive for spending 180 on a box

Originally posted by Placebo

2) he got abusive ? damn right he got abusive for spending 180 on a box

he was willing to take an obviously underpriced, supposedly PWO XBox (Machine).. how ethical is that?
    anybody with two braincells to rub together would have checked with the seller that it was a working xbox ... he would have found out that it wasn't an xbox. Alternatively,he could just have read the description.
    Would i be right in guessing that most of the lusers taking the hump over this would have fallen in the same trap as the buyer??

yeah actually, first time i glimpsed through it, i thought it was an x box, specially due to the wording, i must be a dumb ****......

Hold the bus there a second boys.

One party thought he was onto a good deal ergo too good to be true
    The other party was proving a point ie people are inherently gullible.

Now were fine up to this point, then things start to get a bit awry.

Party 1 the buyer continues to act in good faith, ie thinks hes onto a good deal quite happy to pay the money etc.Bit of muppet, guilable etc

Party 2 the seller must realise that Party 1 is none to bright. But lets things continue, just for the laugh of course. because its a wide world and one mans €2 cardboard box is another mans priceless treasure.

Now the transaction tootles along until the time expires and then we hit a major snag. Party 1 thinks "Ar*e Ive just sold a cardboard box to bloke who clearly thinks I've sold him an Xbox, whats my next move?"

Now in this situation Id put my hands up and tell the guy "look mate its a box and ur obv not paying that much cash cause its a very attractive box" not "and I do except paypal by the way"

Okay, anyway guy sends the cash and duly recieves in the post one empty Xbox receptacle. Promptly has a fit due to the fact that hes not a collector of rare and unusual cardboard products and sends email along the lines of:

Wheres my fffffin bast** Xbox etc etc. Got it for my kids birthday etc etc No present etc Tears etc wive leavin me now etc cant pay the mortgage etc homeless etc. Do you really think I payed that much for a box etc.

Promptly recieves reply "Im sorry due to your use of nasty language Im not in a position to refund your purchase" which translates as "Ive already cashed the cheque and been down the boozer for the afternoon laughing at you, you witless tw*t"

Come on lads fairs fair, the guy bought it in good faith and got understandably upset when he realised what happened. Taking the money in the first place was highly questionnable and keeping it is plainly wrong. We have no idea about this guys circumstances, that could be a lot of scrimping and saving on his behalf to put those bids in.

Personnally I think people should put the shoe on the other foot and see it from his perspective, maybe he was too busy to read it properly, maybe hes a moron and sits and home and masturbates in his own filth. Who knows? I do know one thing though

HE DESERVES HIS MONEY BACK!

Chris

i agree. he deserves the money back-just ..not yet :)
    €2 cardboard box is another mans priceless treasure.
    i have a luverly box... going cheap... €2... wanna buy? :D

Hold the bus there a second boys.

One party thought he was onto a good deal ergo too good to be true
    The other party was proving a point ie people are inherently gullible.
    Argh! You've missed it again!

He wasn't trying to prove that people are inherently gullible, he was trying to prove that "you can sell anything on ebay".

There was no fraud or trickery involved. It was there, plain as day, for all the world to see, that he was selling, an Xbox box. The buyer thought he was getting an Xbox, but for all the seller knew, this was some lunatic who thought it would be cool to have this box - after all, the guy didn't ask any questions, so he must be sure, right?? You don't buy anything without asking a few questions first unless you're 100% sure. Especially on ebay.

The fact here is: The seller sold in good faith. The process was open, honest and fair. The buyer neglected to take care when buying goods and paid the price. Happens every day, and in far shadier circumstances.

In the interests of being nice, I'd probably give him his money back, but I certainly wouldn't put any pressure on the seller to.

Under Irish law anyway, he hasn't leg to stand on, and even though these prerequistes only apply to traders, they still hold up, even in this private sale (where they don't have to, and frequently don't). The goods were:
    • As Described (it's an Xbox box)
    • Fit for their purpose (it's a box, it fits an Xbox)
    • Of merchantable quality (We assume it wasn't badly scratched of bent)

He's not entitled to his money back, nor does he deserve his money back.

Wheres my fffffin bast** Xbox etc etc. Got it for my kids birthday etc etc No present etc Tears etc wive leavin me now etc cant pay the mortgage etc homeless etc. Do you really think I payed that much for a box etc.

Promptly recieves reply "Im sorry due to your use of nasty language Im not in a position to refund your purchase" which translates as "Ive already cashed the cheque and been down the boozer for the afternoon laughing at you, you witless tw*t"

LMAO ! , Classic.
    Of merchantable quality

box`s of merchantable quality, thats a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Ive been watching this thread grow not bothering to read it and i have some free time now waiting for a E3 movie to DL so i read thw whole thing.
    The words LOL dont do it justice.

This is one of the funniest things ive seen in a long time, i pitty the sleap deprived person who reads this and has a fit he is laughing so much.

The guy who bought it was completly at fault and in no way deserved his money back. That might actually be a good way to make money sell empty X-box boxs on Ebay - As was said aready more then 1 person but a bid on it.

There was no fraud or trickery involved.

So why did he put it in the 'PC & Video Gaming > X-Box > Systems' section then?

Why was it marked as being 'Format: PAL (UK Standard)'?

Why did it say 'Condition: New In Box'?

Why did it say 'Platform: Microsoft Xbox'?

The answer is because he wanted people to mistake it for an Xbox. He could have put it in many other categories but he chose this one specifically.

The answer is because he wanted people to mistake it for an Xbox. He could have put it in many other categories but he chose this one specifically.
    If he wanted people to mistake it for an Xbox, perhaps he would have made his description misleading, but no, it clear as day.

That category seems kind of right, since it's part of the target audience - it would have less chance selling in the Misc. section. Unfortunately he had to enter something for the format, etc, so he did.

When you're buying something you read the description. You don't accept a job as a "Subterranean Network Maintenance Technician" without first reading the description that you'd be a sewage worker.

• Advertisement

Ah come on, this "Well he can keep it, so he should" attitudes crap.

Think of it like this, which happened to a mate of mine, out drinking in town..has a fair few too many shandies and decides to get a taxi up the road, lives in Rathmines so from the city centre its only 7 or 8 quid. Gets to his place, rummaging for change ensues, no change so reaches into the wallet and hands over a nice crisp 50 instead of a tenner, says to the every so nice driver "Keep the change mate" and wobbles off to bed.

Now before we go off into how all taxi drivers are convicted criminals etc this was just an example of a similar thing. The taxi driver was entitled to keep his money it was a tip after all, but then again whos going to tip €43 on a €7 journey, it was clearly a mistake.

He wakes up in the morning, swears all taxi drivers and their offspring black and blue and we all sit down and nod and agree how shady it was and how he shouldn't get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

OK......Callob-
    It was clear as day it was a only a box.
    "XBox box"
    "make your friends think you have an Xbox"
    THINK being the operative word!!!

It was put in the Xbox system to get to the right audience. I don't think it would've done as well in Pet Care or Clothes (unless someone thought it would make a nice hat).If that buyer is so stupid as to

(a)Pay €180 for something without reading the description
    (b)Pay €180 for a games console or anything similar without emailing the seller to ask if its working
    (c)Be so stupid as to send him a load of abuse-it even says on Ebay to be polite-and then expect a refund

He deserves to be ripped off! I mean Gimpy did nothing wrong. The "Xbox system" category may be *slightly* misleading but the plain simple english in the description wasn't.

I know, Im not arguing with the wording of the advert. I totally agree that the information was there to see, if you read it properly.

What Im driving at is Was he right to take the guys money in full knowledge that the buyer was under the impression he was buying an Xbox?

Id say No.

Whats the opinion?

What Im driving at is Was he right to take the guys money in full knowledge that the buyer was under the impression he was buying an Xbox?
    But he wasn't in full knowledge of that. The guy paid, no questions asked. Sounds to me like the buyer knew what he was doing.

It's slightly different to the story with your mate and the taxi driver. The buyer, one would hope, was in complete control of his faculties. Your mate was drunk. It's just a little less dishonest to take advantage of a mistake of judgement made by a drunk person, karma and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

exactly what I was thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ALLGOOD

HOLY SHEEP**** !!!

Thats funny, but not for the guy who shelled out 120 for a box !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

So why did he put it in the 'PC & Video Gaming > X-Box > Systems' section then?

Why was it marked as being 'Format: PAL (UK Standard)'?

Why did it say 'Condition: New In Box'?

Why did it say 'Platform: Microsoft Xbox'?

IT SAYS XBOX BOX!!!! you idiot

dont give him his money back, why should you??
    You advertised a box, he bought a box. end of....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

It AAALLLLL boils down to 5 simple words: READ THE F*CKING ITEM DESCRIPTION.

Has this douche bag ever heard of "Let the Buyer Beware" (caveat emptor)?

If he's too dumb to even SEE what we all spotted immediately and are laughing at, then he's a retard and deserves it (I won't even say he deserves to be "ripped off", because he wasn't IMO).

A fool and his money are easily parted...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Classic move there gimpy.

Anyone who'd bid on something like that that without even emailing for clarification probably deserves to get stung (and removed from the gene pool while we're at it).

Gimpy, I reccomend that now you put your £120 up for auction and see if the original guy comes back and offers you £240 for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

I'd classify gimpy in the asshole category. He knew full well that the person was expecting a xbox console. The guy was stupid but that doesn't mean he's entitled to rip him off. By that logic AIB should keep the 25 million euros as its customers were too dumb to realise they had been overcharged. I can see how the mistake would occur. All xboxes are the same so someone could make the mistake of not reading the description fully. Xbox box would seem like a mere typo to me. Also whats the deal putting PAL format for a BOX? Does it self destruct in a NTSC territory? tbh I think what you did makes you an absolute bollox.

Originally posted by vorbis
    All xboxes are the same so someone could make the mistake of not reading the description fully.

Hello...it's Ebay. You're supposed to be smart enough to read the description fully and ask questions you might have before sending money to a complete stranger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

didn't i say what he did was stupid. How does that stupidity though justify ripping him off?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Originally posted by neev
    He deserves to be ripped off!

It seems pretty obvious to me that, as stupid as the buyer was, he was scammed out of his £120.
    The "I'm not giving it back cause he didn't ask nicely, so there," excuse is just lame. I can't believe that people are accepting that as justification for keeping the money.
    This was theft by another name.

The buyer handed over his money, it was not theft.

Originally posted by Commissar
    It seems pretty obvious to me that, as stupid as the buyer was, he was scammed out of his £120.
    The "I'm not giving it back cause he didn't ask nicely, so there," excuse is just lame. I can't believe that people are accepting that as justification for keeping the money.
    This was theft by another name.

name: justifiable theft.

• Advertisement

The "I'm not giving it back cause he didn't ask nicely, so there," excuse is just lame.

I personally wouldn't keep the cash, due to ethics and karma.

That isn't really an excuse, the seller didn't have to return the money because by the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980, the goods were of merchantable & as described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

he was scammed out of his £120.

Definition of scam: "deprive of by deceit"

There was no deceit. The ad clearly stated that it was a box. If the buyer is stupid it's not the seller's fault. If you buy something in a shop they don't ask you: "do you know what you're buying?"

Originally posted by Auburn
    Definition of scam: "deprive of by deceit"

There was no deceit. The ad clearly stated that it was a box. If the buyer is stupid it's not the seller's fault. If you buy something in a shop they don't ask you: "do you know what you're buying?"

unless it's a comb and you're bald :(

Originally posted by Karoma
    unless it's a comb and you're bald :(

lol, you sound like you're speaking from experience... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

amusing as the whole thing is

id side with calhob

every1 had a laff, the fella who handed over the cash got a fair auld fright, etc etc..

but at the end of the day the -right- (decent) thing to do is give the money back.

of course you don't HAVE to give the money back. i don't belive in karma or anything but I just feel that there is a certain level of decency you should show to a another person.

• Advertisement
Advertisement