Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eBay! so funny...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Originally posted by chump
    at the end of the day the -right- (decent) thing to do is give the money back.

of course you don't HAVE to give the money back. i don't belive in karma or anything but I just feel that there is a certain level of decency you should show to a another person.

I'd agree with you there. I would give back the money, even though, by law, the seller actually did nothing wrong.

However, personal ethics are, by definition, personal. Therefore it's not up to us to say it's right or wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Man, that's the funniest thing I've seen in ages. Had me in stitches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I do feel sorry for the guy who parted with the money, and he's understandably reeling with anger because he got caught out after not reading the advert properly, but the decent thing for the seller to do would be to give him his money back. You CANNOT be lucky for money you obtain in this way. I'm not really that religious, but I always believe in being honest, and doing what's correct , otherwise something terrible could happen you.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    I personally wouldn't keep the cash, due to ethics and karma.

That isn't really an excuse, the seller didn't have to return the money because by the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980, the goods were of merchantable & as described.

If it's legal then why would you give the money back?
    Because there's a difference between legal and moral.
    The seller kept the money because he wanted it and was using the buyers offensive response to justify that. i.e. it was an excuse.

Anyway this guy was saying that he could sell anything on e-bay. Do you think that any of those bids were genuine in the sense that the bidder wanted an empty box? He knew that those bids were made in error. Not clarifying what was on sale was deceit.

Anyway does this mean that he won his bet? He did sell the box but the buyer thought he was getting something else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

well i think it's hilarious anyway, the thing about ebay is that sometimes its what the ad doesn't say that's important, i got stung once or twice on little things, not mislead like this but didn't read the ad properly, and you can be sure that I won't do it again... and you can bet this buyer will open his eyes from now on...

now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to Smyths to see if they'll give me any spare boxes... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    That isn't really an excuse, the seller didn't have to return the money because by the sale of goods and supply of services act 1980, the goods were of merchantable & as described.
    Well, the sale did take place in another country, and doesn't apply to private sale of goods, but the fact that it conforms, gives at least some legal standpoint from which to judge the rightness or wrongness of it.
    Originally posted by Commissar
    If it's legal then why would you give the money back?
    Because there's a difference between legal and moral.
    Yes, legal is set in stone. Moral varies from person to person. The only measure you can have of right or wrong is against the legal model. If he had fraudulently obtained the money, then it would have been "wrong", and he would have to return the money. But the fact that it was buyer error means that legally the seller is "right", and has no obligation to repay the money. You can't tell other people what is right and what is wrong, based on your opinion. I'm vegetarian, but do I go around telling people that eating animals is wrong? No, because it's my opinion. To the inanimate dirt, eating animals is neither right nor wrong, it just "is". Right and wrong are concepts, they don't actually exist.
    The seller kept the money because he wanted it and was using the buyers offensive response to justify that. i.e. it was an excuse.
    That's between him and himself. It's no-one else's place to judge him.
    Anyway this guy was saying that he could sell anything on e-bay. Do you think that any of those bids were genuine in the sense that the bidder wanted an empty box? He knew that those bids were made in error. Not clarifying what was on sale was deceit.
    *sigh* Are we going to keep going over this? IT WAS PERFECTLY CLEAR WHAT WAS BEING SOLD. IT DOESN'T REQUIRE CLARIFICATION. Read the description. It was an Xbox box. And not clarifying what's on sale doesn't constitute deceit in the legal sense. Saying that it's one thing, when in fact it's something else, is deceit. Caveat Emptor.
    Anyway does this mean that he won his bet? He did sell the box but the buyer thought he was getting something else?
    Of course he won his bet. "You can sell anything on ebay". Well, he sold a box to brainless dolt. I think that qualifies as a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

That's between him and himself. It's no-one else's place to judge him.

Thats a pretty unusual statement. Most people would agree that the guy undoubtedly thought he was buying an actual xbox. That would constitue as deceit in my eyes. What you mentioned is simply another form of deceit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Gimpy says he told others who bothered to ask that it actually was just a box. It says in the description its a box.

If the truth be known, the buyer probably didnt find it in the XBox systems section, he probably searched for XBox on eBay, where the item is described as being a box. It is not deceit, it is clearly stated what it is. As has been said its down to personal morals on the money, but if someone got really abusive to me, for whatever reason, I refuse to co-operate. Even eBay said he got what he paid for. So, all I can say, is ha ha bloody ha! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

this isn't the first or last time someone got fooled on ebay- you have to read the auction and email the seller

look at this auction - £165 for a link to www.themobilematrix.com =now that is low

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

all i`m gonna say is that, enjoy the money and i hope that you get ripped off some day.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by vorbis
    Thats a pretty unusual statement. Most people would agree that the guy undoubtedly thought he was buying an actual xbox. That would constitue as deceit in my eyes. What you mentioned is simply another form of deceit.
    Who are "Most people"? Please don't try and speak for everyone. Obviously the guy thought he was buying an Xbox. That's the bone of contention. If someone doesn't ask questions, I assume that they understand what's been written. If there has been no feedback from the buyer, the seller can't assume or guess anything. For all he knew, the guy wanted pay £120 for a box. There are some very strange, very rich people around. After all, some guy paid a girl £10,000 to have sex with her when he could get a better looking prostitute and have more fun for 1/10 of the amount.

If it had been me, I would have assumed he wanted an expensive box - for two reason:
    The description is perfectly clear. It's a box. How anybody could make a mistake from the description is beyond me.
    He didn't ask questions. That implies that he understands what's going on, and is prepared to pay for a box. That's the key here. How is it the seller's fault that the guy didn't know what he was buying?

You also seem to be having issues with the meaning of deceit, and deceiving in general, let me help
    de·ceive ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-sv)
    v. de·ceived, de·ceiv·ing, de·ceives
    v. tr.

1. To cause to believe what is not true; mislead.
    So, inaction (i.e. not actively inquiring as to what the buyer knew) cannot be a form of deceit, since it does not create any actions, therefore it does not "cause to belief" anything.
    Now, you can argue that not including information, another form of inaction, is a type of deceit, and I would agree. Except that in this case, there was no withholding of information. It was plain as day, written down in front of the buyer. No deceit whatsoever.

some one please explain this .
    Condition: New In Box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair.

I cant swallow this it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.I'm slowly losing faith in human kind.When i first clicked the link,from the ofset i knew someone would think that they were getting an actual xbox and evidently 11 people did.If grimpy was being truthful he thought the same thing.I think the decit is there, sure he can fall back on the "just read the description" explanation.You knew people would think that this was an actual xbox and thats what pisses me off.

As grimpy said,he did this to prove that you could sell anything on ebay and he was right.He also said this was just a joke.When he accepted the 180euro it stop being a joke!Why not just say, ah sure im just fcuking with ya ha ha ha etc.why not stop there.He didnt.

Put yourself in the poor guy who recieved the box shoes.Paying 180euro for something absolutely worthless! thinking it was something it wasnt.we all complain about rip off ireland, housing prices etc this guy got nothing.Down 180euro.Who can blame him for the torent of abuse he aimed at gimpy.As far as he was concern he'd been anally fcuked and there was nothing he can do about it.If i were in his position, id be looking for his ip.

I cant believe people are defending him.I just cant comprehend it. (shakes head)
    Questionable morals and standards

I guess karma will pay you back with interest.Give him back HIS money.

You call this funny,Dont make me laugh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ROFL, i never knew there were so many upstanding citizens on boards

pld gimpy :)
    You call this funny,Dont make me laugh!

you probably don't laugh at dead baby jokes either :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dredz

Originally posted by Placebo
    some one please explain this .

It could easily mean the new Xbox box, inside a cardboard box.

As long as the Xbox box is in good condition, it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It's not so much that people are siding with the seller as more siding against the idiot..

also, the link the phone/info auction isn't quite the same. for one, it isn't clear from the title..

what do you call 12 dead babi...... mebbe not...

seamus I honestly hope that you're being sarcastic. 99% of people placing a bid on that item would believe it was an xbox. This idea that he was after a box is ludicrous. Its deceit as gimpy knew this as well but neglected to correct the customer. Also I hope I never have to do business with you. Theres such a thing as reasonable assumption.

there is also such a thing as personal accountability.

There's also such a thing as blind greed*
    and poopy.

* again, re-iterating my point, if you saw an x-box that cheap-you'd ask yourself "what's wrong with this?" straight away. followed by:
    a) is it broken
    b) is it 'hot' (stolen/with two legs/etc)

the fact that the buyer jumped at an opportunity to grab it as such a price without asking these questions ... he got what he deserved.

• Advertisement

seamus I honestly hope that you're being sarcastic. 99% of people placing a bid on that item would believe it was an xbox. This idea that he was after a box is ludicrous.
    It is ludicrous, but it's not completely off the wall. I wouldn't be surprised if at least a few of those bids were for a box.
    Its deceit as gimpy knew this as well but neglected to correct the customer. Also I hope I never have to do business with you. Theres such a thing as reasonable assumption.
    gimpy, in the strictest sense, knew nothing except that a load of people were bidding for a box. There was no attempt to deceive, at any point. Everyone who asked, was told it's a box. Those who didn't, and bidded, did so at their own risk. I wouldn't have contacted them. Why should he contact everyone who wants to buy and tell them what he's selling - he has already told people what's on offer, it was perfectly clear. Should he say the same thing again to everyone who makes a bid? What if there are a couple of hundred bids?

Mordeth hit the nail on the head - "Personal Accountability". At what point do we force people to start taking responsibility when they **** up, instead of always blaming someone else for our own mistakes? It's just like those people who trip and sue the council - why should we have to pay them because they weren't watching where they were walking? If there was no council, we'd all be walking on dirt, and people would be tripping all the time, with no-one to blame but their cack-footed selves.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Seamus I love you, you posted what I would have liked to post but wouldn't have been able to put it together so elegantly :)

Slaan.

Originally posted by Slaanesh
    Seamus I love you, you posted what I would have liked to post but wouldn't have been able to put it together so elegantly :)

Slaan.
    Why thank you. I'd like to say the feeling is mutual, but you have this funny odour about you :p

Karoma a bid of 115 is about reasonable for a second hand xbox considering they are 180 new on amazon. It wasn't cheap at all. it was also echo9100's only bid on the xbox. He probably saw the current bidding figure at 113 with only minutes to go and presumed incorrectly it was an actual xbox. What interests me is the 4 bids by si2800 to get the bid process started. I'd take a guess that that was gimpy attempting to help the scam along. si2800 has been a member for less than 30 days.

seamus this has nothing to do with personal accountability. The bidder was a fool but the responsibility for scamming him rests with gimpy. The personal responsibilty imo should have rested with gimpy to make the bid winner aware that it was just a box. I agree with you about the people who trip. This however was somebody out to deliberately scam someone else.

seamus this has nothing to do with personal accountability. The bidder was a fool but the responsibility for scamming him rests with gimpy. The personal responsibilty imo should have rested with gimpy to make the bid winner aware that it was just a box. I agree with you about the people who trip. This however was somebody out to deliberately scam someone else.

it takes (at least) two people for a scam to be successful: the scammer and the scammed. Both of whom must take responsibility. The alleged 'scammer' made it clear in the posting of the article. Any clarification should not be his responsibility.

a fair enough opinion karoma. I'd take the view that an ad for an xbox with a picture of an xbox box could reasonably be assumed to be an actual xbox. Reading the description clarifies this but the deception is still there.

Essentially, I believe that gimpy took advantage of the perception that some people would have upon seeing his ad(i.e. no one would be selling just the box). Also without the scammer, there is no scammed so surely the bulk of responsibility for a scam rests with the scammer.

• Advertisement

50/50: without naive people there would be no scams (no successful scams = less or no scams) :)

i understand where you're coming from,and where the buyer fell down.. but there is no excuse. he should have questioned it. plain and simple. at best: gimpy will do the honourable thing and refund his money. at worst: he's learned a costly lesson.

It could easily mean the new Xbox box, inside a cardboard box.

a box inside another box.
    ****ing brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michaelpwilson

Those supporting Gimpy in this thread make me lose faith in mankind. Yes, the buyer of the box was foolish to not read the description properly. However, in my opinion, the “scam” wasn’t as overtly obvious as it is being made out to be by some people on this board.

For a start, how many times have you seen advertisements for an item on ebay which show the carton in which the item for sale lies? I know I’ve seen many of them. Just because you are shown a box in the ad doesn’t mean that’s what you’re bidding for.

Secondly, why did Gimpy choose to use the word “box” instead of an alternative, such as “carton”? By placing the words in the specific order he did, he was deliberately attempting to deceive. He could just as easily have said “Up for auction is a mint condition, limited edition, cardboard box for an X-box console.” There is no ambiguity there.

Thirdly, it is widely known that when some people talk about a “box”, what they are in fact referring to is a machine. I can’t speak for everyone, but I know that people in my IT company are constantly referring to customers’ machines as “boxes.” If Gimpy had said that he was selling a PS2 box, would the ambiguity have been clearer? I for one would have thought he was selling a PS2 machine, and not a box for a PS2. If you’re being honest, I think you would too.

Fourthly, Gimpy deliberately placed the ad in the Systems category on ebay. Is it a system? I don’t believe a box qualifies as a system, and the buyer would clearly have a case to make against ebay and Gimpy on this score alone. It certainly doesn’t qualify as a “system” in the context of the “PC & Video Gaming” category in which it was placed. Right under the “Description” field, it says: “Item Specifics - Video Game Systems.” This is clearly false and misleading.

Fifthly, does a cardboard box conform to the PAL (UK Standard)? I don’t think so. The fact that a seller must fill something in this field when placing an item for sale just shows even more clearly that he was attempting to deceive. The ad shouldn’t have been placed in that category, and yet again the seller has deliberately chosen to mislead the buyer by saying that the “box” conforms to the PAL standard. It doesn’t.

Sixthly, the “Platform” mentioned in the ad specifies “Microsoft X-box.” I’m no hardware geek, but as far as I know a “platform” in reference to a “Video Game System” is an electronic piece of hardware which runs a specific set of software. A cardboard box is simply not a platform, unless you decide to fill it with something and stand on it. In which case it shouldn’t be in the PC & Video Gaming category.

There were also 33 bids for this item. I very much doubt that all of those bidders were as astute as some of the contributors to this thread, but I can warrant that the vast majority (if not all of them) were bidding on a machine and not a cardboard box, unless of course they were merely trying to take the piss, or had been lobotomised.

The buyer of this item was obviously upset when he received the “box” and to be honest I wouldn’t have left a favourable review on Gimpy’s page either - would you? Whilst his language wasn’t the nicest I believe anger had a part to play and I think the buyer can be forgiven for what he did.

Gimpy, however, unless he returns the money the buyer sent him, cannot. Claiming that it was a joke doesn’t hold any water as long as Gimpy took payment for the “box.” He knew what he was selling. Unless he is an utter idiot, he also knew that no-one in their right mind would pay that amount of money for a cardboard box.

I find the arguments on this thread supporting Gimpy’s stance to be disgusting, to say the least. There is a moral AND legal argument here, both of which support the buyer getting his money back. If I were the buyer, I would pursue this as far as I could in the courts. I have no doubt that the buyer would prevail in this case. The item was falsely advertised, for all the reasons stated above.

I really think those people who support what happened to the buyer have a very poor sense of morality and to be honest I didn’t find this funny at all. It was fraud - theft by deception. It’s that simple and if it were me, I’d be calling the cops, ebay, and my solicitor.

You guys who support Gimpy - you really make me sick.

i also molest small children, and routinely beat up black people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Originally posted by michaelpwilson
    Those supporting Gimpy in this thread make me lose faith in mankind. ...

You guys who support Gimpy - you really make me sick.

well said, i was trying to say all this a few pages back, but i didn't have the energy, i think that settles it tbh

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mordeth

pah! misdemeanors compared to laughing at an idiot that bought a box. you sick fuck.

Clearing things up AGAIN...
    It was posted in an appropriate section - other 'accessories' to the system are in the same section...
    Platform: it suits the x-box... i can't see what other options there are as i don't have an e-bay account (it's full of dishonest scammers y'know!)

Getting someone to buy the box was the aim of the game - he succeeded. He probably would have had a laugh at the foolish buyer and then given the money back. I still think he should give the money back... when we all stop laughing :)

where there's an ambiguity - the buyer must question the facts and confirm them (Better to look an fool than being one.). A box has more than one meaning,as you said, and therefore is ambiguous and therefore should (you guessed it) been questioned.

Legally, he doesn't really have a leg to stand on. The official definition of a box is ... got a dictionary? And any other definition would be lost on any police officer ;) and i think e-bay had been contacted and let it go... (read back-i cannae be arsed).

if you assume everything^H^H^H.. anything, expect nothing.

Clearing things up AGAIN...
    Oh, I _am_ sorry to have you go to so much trouble.
    It was posted in an appropriate section
    It pains me to disagree with you. Really. However, if you've ever used ebay to look for consoles etc., you will notice that in the "X-Box" category you have three sub-categories: Accessories, Games, and Systems. If the "box" that Gimpy sold is indeed an accessory (which could be argued until the cows come home) then it should have been in the "Accessories" sub-category. It should not have been in the "Systems" category. It is not a system.
    Platform: it suits the x-box
    The Platform field, as it is in the Systems sub-category, denotes a hardware platform upon which a selected set of software runs. If it were in the Accessories sub-category then you might have an ounce of usable argument. In this case you have none. Again.
    Getting someone to buy the box was the aim of the game - he succeeded.
    Oh, again my apologies. I didn't know you were able to speak on his behalf. You know all this as fact, of course.
    He probably would have had a laugh at the foolish buyer and then given the money back.
    He "probably" decided to paint his body purple and drill holes in the wall with a certain part of his anatomy. "Probably"? More irrelevance.

...oh, and please don't "clear up" things again on my behalf. I can't afford to pay you.

Oh, I _am_ sorry to have you go to so much trouble.
    quite alright. i'm the charitable sort.
    It pains me to disagree with you. Really.
    Then don't. Ever.

However, if you've ever used ebay to look for consoles etc., you will notice that in the "X-Box" category you have three sub-categories: Accessories, Games, and Systems. If the "box" that Gimpy sold is indeed an accessory (which could be argued until the cows come home) then it should have been in the "Accessories" sub-category. It should not have been in the "Systems" category. It is not a system.
    i would have said accessories too - but others have posted 'accessories' in the 'systems' category.. so it's dismissable.
    The Platform field, as it is in the Systems sub-category, denotes a hardware platform upon which a selected set of software runs.
    Thanks-my english is ungood. *throws out that there dictionamary*
    could be identified as 'the platform for which the item to be sold is associated with' ... i'd say x-box... wouldn't you?
    Oh, again my apologies. I didn't know you were able to speak on his behalf. You know all this as fact, of course.
    yes. he said that it started as a dicsussion between him and a friend...and to see if anybody would buy it... and wahey! they did. aim achieved.

I'll clear it up as often as is needed. Which appears to be quite a bit. No need to thank me. You can pay me in other ways...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Man, some of you people need to get some sense of humour skillz. The guy who bought it was suckered good. Sure, I wouldn't like it if I were in his position, but I hope to all that is holy that I'm not quite that stupid(no way I'm dumb enough to buy an xbox). It does suck to be him, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to laugh at him. He's just some faceless person on the internet, we don't even know his name. Probably 90% of comedy is laughing at people who have unfortunate things happening to them. If the person who the unfortunate events occur to is a friend of yours, then it's okay to think it's not funny. Otherwise you just need to get a life. I think people who can't laugh at stuff like this are much more annoying than the person who carried out what I assume was only a harmless prank, if not a genuine attempt to sell what he thought some people might want(and I'm sure there are people who would want it).

As I never wanted to turn this thread into a flame war, I'll finish with this post. I've almost said all I wanted to say. In any case, children like Karoma will always retort with irrelevant, unsupportable arguments that merely serve as cack-filler, as I have little doubt he is about to demonstrate. Let me finish in rebuttal of some Karoma-wisdom.
    others have posted 'accessories' in the 'systems' category.. so it's dismissable.
    If I enter a bicycle in the "Clothes" section on ebay, that's incorrect and contravenes ebay's rules on trading. Just because others decide to do likewise, that does not make my entry valid. Where on earth are you coming up with this "dismissable" (sic) BS?
    could be identified as 'the platform for which the item to be sold is associated with' ... i'd say x-box... wouldn't you?
    No, I wouldn't. A system is a system. It's not an accessory, because it's in the Systems sub-category. Maybe if it was in the Accessories sub-category, just maybe, you might have a point. But as I already said in my previous post, you don't.
    he said that it started as a dicsussion between him and a friend...and to see if anybody would buy it... and wahey! they did. aim achieved.
    What he said, and what he intended, could be two different things. In my estimation (and let me hasten to add this is opinion, I do not know this as fact) Gimpy set out to defraud someone of money and keep the proceeds, were he able to indeed sell this "box". This he did.
    No need to thank me. You can pay me in other ways...
    I didn't thank you. But I wouldn't be interested in paying you anyway, nor do I wish to know the details of the sordid ways of payment you are no doubt considering.
    *throws out that there dictionamary*
    I wouldn't throw it out just yet, Karoma, if I were you:
    dicsussion
    dismissable

Look those up in your dictionary first. Don't want you to have to buy a new one tomorrow. Now, go back to your playpen and if you have any more wonderful insights on the merits of stealing, post again. Which I have no doubt you will do regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

Calm%20down.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

buyer beware dude

:D @ picture

I done,holeheartedly, apolaigeez far me speling. Oen mislepping! and oen typo! If this is the extend of your retort... :rolleyes:

Please keep on topic - it's not nice to flame. In fact, people who flame "make me sick".

My point about the sub-category,etc and indeed is the case with the "box" was that it's about semantics. You can argue semantics all day and it won't get further-i agreed that "accessories" would have been most appropriate- but i 'systems' usage would indicate that it too is appropriate.
    And again, we can only go on what gimpy said.. he claims it was set about as a joke.. we can only assume it was that. Unless somebody present at the time can say otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gimpy

Ive been watching this thread since I posted, I havent just ignored it, just thought i`d say that.

My point though, I dont fel I defrauded the buyer in anyway. I described what the item was, and the buyer bought it, paid, and then decided he wanted a refund.

If I say, bought a TV on ebay, and paid, and then asked for a refund because I was after a VCR, I would get laughed at, in my opinion this is the exact same thing. The buyer bid on something, then AFTER paying, 2 days after may I add, he demanded a refund. (after I had posted out the box) In any other auction the buyer would not be entitled to a refund, so why in mine?? He bid and paid without reading the auction. Like I said before, I was hoenst with everyone who was clever enough to email me, even the ones who emailed asking waht plug came with is, etc, I said " im sorry your mistaken, this is just a box" For some reason it is assumed I was been fraudulent, despite the fact the title, etc, clearly stated what the item was.

My point is, that in any other circumstances everyone would jump to the sellers defence, (my tv/vcr example, in that it would be the buyers fault) so why is my auction different to any other where the buyer makes a mistake??

Another person said that I was been fraudulent by putting a reserve on!!! . I`m not going to lie, im lazy and simply could not be bothered to walk to the post office for less than £30, hence the reason for the reserve.

First you said it was a joke to show how anything could be sold,
    now you say that its a legit sale ?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Karoma
    My point about the sub-category,etc and indeed is the case with the "box" was that it's about semantics. You can argue semantics all day and it won't get further-i agreed that "accessories" would have been most appropriate- but i 'systems' usage would indicate that it too is appropriate.
    Which is what I thought when reading some lengthy posts - "Arguing over semantics".

micheal, I like your reasoned, thought-out posts, but I can safely say that this sale was perfectly legal. At least in Ireland. I'll only assume that UK laws on private selling are somewhat similar.

You can also argue semantics over what could be perceived as a "box" - for the record when I first read it I thought "There's no way he was just selling a box, maybe he means the bare system without controllers" - the description leaves nothing out. You read the description it's perfectly clear.

My main point is - the guy wasn't scammed. The seller has every right to keep the money. Whether it's right to keep money obtained because someone made a really stupid mistake, is not for us to judge. Sure, we can form an opinion, feel free to express it. But from a purely subjective view, the guy isn't wrong. That's it. Weep for humanity all you like, but I'm not one who made the sale, and neither are you, so it's not really our place to decide what the next course of action must be.

Relax, have a laugh at other people's expense, let your lowest common denominator out for a breather once in a while. It's ok, no-one needs to be Mr. Morality all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Limited Edition Crystal Xbox box

Up for auction is a mint condition, limited edition Xbox box. It has No scuffs or marks and looks rather nice. Use it to impress your friends by making them think you have a spiffing brand new crystal xbox sat at home, or carry it around town in a see through carrier bag to be the envy of geeks everywhere. This is the must have accesory for gamers.

Now if after reading a description like that and you still think its an x box it would be better off for mankind if you just purged yourself from the genepool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Gimpy ur a thief..
    The guy made a mistake. Yeah fair enuff ,ppl make them all the time but ur a THIEF. THE MONEY IS NOT YOURS. The box is worth about 60 cents. The guy probably worked his ass off for that money to sort his kid out with a birthday present. And you just STEAL his money. Hope your proud anyways. Immoral b****x

I HOPE U F*****G DIE!
    PRICK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Originally posted by Samba
    This is one to be included in the e-book guide to selling on ebay :D

Na 'ebay for dummies' would be a better book :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

My sentiments echo that of Mr. Wilson. I think there was ambiguity on the part of gimpy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Yes, Gimpy, if you are any kind of a proper human being, return that money instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Originally posted by Tiesto

I HOPE U F*****G DIE!

I hope he dies too. I'm sure you'd get sick of living forever.....

And do you feel this is wrong? :p

This threads gone so mad its not funny. I didn't think it would be possible to create a 160-post thread on the back of something pretty much initially posted as a joke thread.

Plus, it's not your money, so you's can all calm down a bit to start with.

Someone should get the buyer in here too, then it can be like Jerry Springer :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Originally posted by Tiesto
    Gimpy ur a thief..
    The guy made a mistake. Yeah fair enuff ,ppl make them all the time but ur a THIEF. THE MONEY IS NOT YOURS. The box is worth about 60 cents. The guy probably worked his ass off for that money to sort his kid out with a birthday present. And you just STEAL his money. Hope your proud anyways. Immoral b****x

I HOPE U F*****G DIE!
    PRICK!

The thing says xbox box all over it, so how is anyone a stealing anything??
    The guy probably worked his ass off for that money to sort his kid out with a birthday present.... yes, but then he went and bought a cardboard box off ebay, like a ****ing imbecile - but how does that make the seller of the box a theif?!

I hope you get ripped off in a similiar fashion, it seems to be the only way idiots like you will learn.

fair play to the seller i say, €180 for a box... thats good business!!

to everyone wh says "he prbably worked his ass off for that 180 euro"

how the **** do you know? he might have the cushiest job out there, he might be a millionaire, he might have won a local lotto the week before

stfu and stop being so judgemental

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Originally posted by Civilian_Target

Someone should get the buyer in here too, then it can be like Jerry Springer :)

I have messaged the guy who bought it...hopefully he will come in to have his say...

Advertisement