Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eBay! so funny...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    I have messaged the guy who bought it...hopefully he will come in to have his say...

OOoooOOoh! Boards.ie adds another bright spark to its user list :rolleyes:

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

fair play gimpy..anyone who is that carless doesnt deserve to have money in the first place, you might as well have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Originally posted by Karoma
    OOoooOOoh! Boards.ie adds another bright spark to its user list :rolleyes:

:D

Well I did message gimpy to bring him in here....

purely to explore all avenues on this subject

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The fact of the matter is that its the buyers fault, caveat emptor (sp?) and all that. I was in work yesterday when a friend of mine came in. This guy had a vicous hangover and only has the sight in one eye after some idiot shot him with a bb gun. He read the heading and immediately asked why someone was selling a box!!! so id imagine that someone who actually wanted to buy it would read it through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by gimpy
    Hi. Im the guy that sold the box.
    Welcome gimpy, glad you could drop in.

And thats the story, hope you enjoyed my auction :)
    Heh, quite a lot actually:D

And the first thing I thought when I saw the auction was along the lines of "Heh, he's clearly selling a cardboard box"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

Originally posted by nm
    I hope you get ripped off in a similiar fashion, it seems to be the only way idiots like you will learn.

fair play to the seller i say, €180 for a box... thats good business!!

have u got no morals either?
    suck my balls!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

God, I feel like I'm talking to my 3-year-old here, but, please, Gimpy, do the decent thing and give that guy back his money. You are a very deceitful individual as I'm sure while the bidding was going on that you knew he'd made a mistake. I urge you again - act like a human being.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Heh, n1 gimpy.

BTW, I think this covers any opposition pretty well:

CAVEAT EMPTOR.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Originally posted by kelle
    God, I feel like I'm talking to my 3-year-old here, but, please, Gimpy, do the decent thing and give that guy back his money. You are a very deceitful individual as I'm sure while the bidding was going on that you knew he'd made a mistake. I urge you again - act like a human being.

go broncos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    They dont expect to be kidnapped... taken some where.. and welded into a barrell... cover in bales of hay... with some dead meat.. some maggots.. and their own **** and piss for a week...

I don't think anyone would expect that...

unless they were with Stephen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Mordeth
    unless they were with Stephen...
    Still bitter?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

It was very funny alright, but I'd refund him if I were you.
    Karma stings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

gimpy,

i'll give you €10 for the xbox, that and the €180 (£120) from selling the box is a good price :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think gimpy should give the money back and the buyer should be banned from the Internet for life. The guy's clearly a complete and utter moron that needs protecting from himself. Oh, and Merc ticking gimpy off for being nasty to someone "weak" on the Internet is clearly a far funnier story altogether. Even in jest, talk about pot and kettle.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

It seems to me that Gimpy followed the letter of the law. Yes there was some ambiguity but, as far as I can make out, nothing illegal.
    Nevertheless to all intents and purposes he screwed the buyer.
    People can rant about karma all they want but the fact of the matter is that the buyer is down £120 with nothing to show for it. To my mind this is simply unjustifiable whether it was over the internet or face to face.
    Technicalities aside, Gimpy screwed him, no two ways about it- he took his money and gave him waste cardboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Yes we're all so clever here. Someone made a mistake, quick jump on them. Hide behind your keyboards guys, you're so so much better there. After all isn't that where the cool people are?

Give him his money back, laugh about it, move on.

Oh and by the way, I do appreciate the irony of using the internet in order to decry it! :p (I gotta use it to get paid)

how many hippies do we have on boards ranting on about karma with absaloutely no understanding what they're ranting on about?

come on kids.. don't be shy..

KARMA'S GONA GET YA

maybe gimpy did something really reallyy nice the week before he sold this and his karma is nicely balanced out there, why didn't any of you judgemental ****S think of that? EH?

• Advertisement

i guess it's true what they say about a fool and his money...

you're getting the hump because you'd fall for it, or because it makes you think. awwww! you have to think when you're on the interweb... poor you. :rolleyes:

my karma ran over your dogma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I reckon he should refund him the money but only if he gets the box back (minus postal costs, of course):)

it's fair enough- it doesn't sit perfectly well with me either-but it's ebay,and it's to be expected. Fact is fact: he didn't question it, i don't know him, i'll continue to laugh at him (deservedly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Caveat Emptor: Let the buyer beware. You dont go onto any website (never mind ebay where you should be extra cautious) without fully looking into the product you are buying and making sure its exactly what you think it is. Nothing was done wrong. Maybe the money should go back but at the end of the day its up to the seller's own heart and guilty mind whether or not he repays, no rules were broken. If it was me I probably wouldnt give the money back.

This whole thread has to have been one of the funniest ive ever seen on boards tho. :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

Strange that people are overlooking the fact that Gimpy said IF the guy had wrote and POLITELY asked for a refund that it would have been given . Instead the person wrote and heaped abuse and profanity upon Gimpy because that person failed to read the auction clearly. The whole defining moment on whether or not the refund was given was the offending email. As far as I can tell the person never wrote and said......."OK .... I've had a chance to calm down.....I'm sorry for my previous letter , can we talk about this." WHICH would more than likely earned him the desired refund.
    Seeing as how the auction accepted payment through Pay Pal the payment was probably sent as soon as the auction closed. I doubt that Gimpy went to extremes in attempt to collect the money. I also notice that the buyer gave Gimpy negative feedback also using profanity. I say Tic for Tac Gimpy hit him back at his own game , give him negative feedback (politely though ) for failing to read the auction clearly and using profanity in attempt to get a refund.
    Now seriously .......if it were YOU and this person had written you an email full of abuse and profanity , would you have been so eager to give his money back to him ? Honestly .......someone act like that to me , I wouldn't. Hell would freeze over before I would even consider it.

it wasn't overlooked - people just don't believe him.
    I believe(d) it. If somebody sent me abuse- I'd make them sweat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gimpy

Im still shocked im been accused of purposely defrauding the guy. In all honesty, if I had wanted to defraud someone and sell them a box in dodgy circumstances by making them think they were getting an xbox, I would have been able to word the auction a lot better. The auction was not pre planned, and I wrote it out in about 30 seconds in a way that I thought if soneone read it they`d get a laugh out of it (hence making jokes about the carrier bag, and it been the must have accesory, haha) Hell I was even too lazy to take a picture of the actual box I was in such a rush.

So far I must have had about 150 emails about the auction. I`d say well over %90 have been saying I have done nothing wrong, and they cant believe the buyer paid, even after winning the auction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

i think the seller presumed the guy REALLY wanted a box to impress his friends. i would keep the money. the buyer DESERVED to lose his money.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Im still shocked im been accused of purposely defrauding the guy. In all honesty, if I had wanted to defraud someone and sell them a box in dodgy circumstances by making them think they were getting an xbox, I would have been able to word the auction a lot better.
    I imagine you wouldn't be bothered your arse coming here to post about it either gimpy. Don't mind these other langers, they wouldn't know real humour if it came up and bit them on the arse. And seriously, give the dumbass back his money now. Not only will you be doing the right thing, you'll prove these muppets wrong into the bargain.

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Your a lying BAST*RD , you said it was in GOOD COND IN BOX why would a empty box be in a box:mad:

Originally posted by knife_fighter
    Your a lying BAST*RD , you said it was in GOOD COND IN BOX why would a empty box be in a box:mad:

i wouldnt send just the x-box box. id put the x-box box in another box, so the postman wouldnt be tempted to open it up etc, or them to see what was being sent.

to protect the box... it's valuable y'know... someone paid good money for it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

If you are selling something you dont say wraped in buble wrap , do you:confused:

If you are selling something you dont say wraped in buble wrap , do you:confused:
    no, you say its in a box, as new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

If the buyer has, by his emails subsequent to the purchase, acted the twit, you cannot dignify this behaviour by acceding to his request for a refund.

However, if, as you say, you would have been happy to refund him prior to this sequence of outrageous emails, then donate half the profit to a charity of your choice.

Your assertion of noble intentions will no longer ring hollow; if he asks for the money you can justifiably say that it has been given to a noble cause and so is no longer available to be refunded to him; you profit by half the money taken; and the nay-sayers on this thread should be pacified by the gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Gimpy, you've had your fun. I don't blame the buyer for his profanities. GIVE HIM BACK HIS MONEY! Just do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

If somebodys that stupid they deserve to be ripped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

what bull**** gimpy.
    if he would have said, the box was empty ? you actually think you would have given the money back ? if so DO you think he payed 180 for the box , just the box ? Did you expect him to be all merry about it ?
    ______
    hey man
    wassup,
    hows it going, pleasure doin business with ya.
    Just a little problem here,
    the box is , eh.... well empty.
    dont mean to be too much bother but do u mind sending my money back ?
    ______

when the guy got the empty box, he knew you ripped him off and he knew the chances of person ripping him off in the first place to send the money were SLIM TO NONE so you cant hold him being ABUSIVE.
    without some gimp ripping you off

read that gimpy and dont excuse the pun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Why doesnt the buyer just re-sell the box, with the same description, if he doesnt get his money back?

thats what i'd do, pass the box on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I imagine you wouldn't be bothered your arse coming here to post about it either gimpy. Don't mind these other langers, they wouldn't know real humour if it came up and bit them on the arse. And seriously, give the dumbass back his money now. Not only will you be doing the right thing, you'll prove these muppets wrong into the bargain.

adam

You are a moron. Keep your sweeping generalisations to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

phrasing what dahamsta said a little better. Its funny in the sense that you got some idiot to pay 180 euro for a box. It stopped being funny imo when you kept that money. As dahamsta said, you should give the money back. Keeping it makes you a scammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭rainer

Soooooooooooooooo funny!!!!hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Here's the website about the powerbook scam (scamming the scammer!!!)

http://personal.stevens.edu/~achadzyn/powerbook/

Originally posted by Commissar
    You are a moron. Keep your sweeping generalisations to yourself.

aye. i hate people who make sweeping generalisations.

as someone pointed out, why not try re-selling the box with the same desciption? He wasn't the only bidder...

people who make sweeping generalisations should save up for a hoover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I'm really sorry for digging up an old thread

BUT!!!!! i was poking around ebay (i love that word...poking) and i noticed this:

one

two

three

now i at first thought (ahhh someone is trying to do the same stunt as gimpy) but entering each auction i noticed they ALL have the exact same auction message. The message GIMPY used for his auction...hmmm

this *i believe* is either someone really stupid copying gimpy and just did a word for word copy OR...gimpy B*ll****ed everyone and is in fact a jerk...

i leave this evidence in the hands of the court

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Hi. Im the guy that sold the box.

Incase your wondering 2 days after he paid he realised his mistake and asked for a refund, I would have given him it if he had been polite, but he emailed me with more abuse than you could belive, so I thought screw it.

Funny but, as the buyer said you incorrectly marked your bidding when you put in the details ...
    Item Specifics - Video Game Systems
    Platform: Microsoft Xbox Bundled Items: --
    Condition: New In Box Format: PAL (UK Standard)

When it is clearly a box. So not only should you refund him you better do it fast before he has the cops onto you. Also check up a little. The guy who posted the original "PS2 Box" actually got in trouble for the scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Hobbes

i think the excuse he gave for that is he had to put something there or else it wouldnt be accepted, personnally i've never sold anything on ebay (one of my many faults, no sell 2nd hand stuff) so i wouldnt know 1st hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Ted_striker

[
    BUT!!!!! i was poking around ebay (i love that word...poking) and i noticed this:
    one

If ya take a look at this sellers ( m.robinson30 ) feedback it says "metalbadgeman"has already bought one of these boxes for £79.50 and his feedback left says "A1 e-bayer!!! Top drawer! " .Could this be a little scam goin down ????

• Advertisement
Advertisement