Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 cd-r for €40

• 11-05-2004 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Maplin are doing 50 TDK metallic cdr-80min/40x for €40 and you get a case free so 100pcs for €40............order code A74AJ

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

anybody had bad experiences with these?
    from memory, tdk are a reputable enough cdr brand...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by tman
    anybody had bad experiences with these?
    from memory, tdk are a reputable enough cdr brand...

I used to buy TDK all the time, they where always considered one of the best brands, triple A quality.

However once I got bitten by them. Once I bought a 50 disc TDK spindle from Compustore and it turned out that they weren't the normal discs, but they where lower quality Ritek discs, just branded as TDK.

The only way to check these Maplin disks is to get them or someone who has gotten them to run CD-R Info on them to check which factory they where made at.

cubix, have you gotten these? and if you have can you test them.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dragon_ninja82

Hey its only 18 squids for 50 benq cd-rs in beyond 2000, and from what I have heard and from personal experience they seem to be one of the better cd-rs on the market, so thats like only 36 for 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Didnt buy them BK just noticed them while I was there getting something else, here is the link on maplin
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040512131238342&moduleno=33857

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by dragon_ninja82
    Hey its only 18 squids for 50 benq cd-rs in beyond 2000, and from what I have heard and from personal experience they seem to be one of the better cd-rs on the market, so thats like only 36 for 100.

Hi, don't go on just personal experience. It is not weither they will work now, but will they work in 2 years from now.

I've been burning for about 5 years now, and I have plenty of discs that are useless now as they degrade over time. That is useless if you want to backup important data.

That is why I always check which factory the CD-R's where made in and what Dye they use, that is the only way of checking the quality of discs, I use this application: CD-R Identifier

You see, the thing is CD's and DVD's are rarely made by the company who have the name on the disc, usually they are made by one of about a dozen or more companies/factories around the world. Often the companies who make the disc can change for a particular brand.

The factories that are good are Taiyo Yuden, Kodak and TDK (factory, not necessarily brand), Mitsui Chemicals, Pioneer,
    Ricoh.

Medium - Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Fuji

Bad - Princo, Gigastorage, Lead Data, Fornet, Ritek, CMC Magnetics.

But remember these are factories, not brands, so TDK branded discs are not necessarily made in the TDK factory, similarily for Pioneer, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I have these cd-rs but I can't test them with this software. When I opened the software I got no reading which I presume means that my cd burner is too old :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

...if they're the same TDK "metallic" CD-Rs they were selling 100 of for 30 euro a spindle when the Galway branch of Maplin opened there a month or two ago, I've burned at least 100 of 'em in a variety of drives at 48x; one single coaster so far, but that was because of a power cut, so I don't think I can blame the discs :p

[EDIT]CDRIdentifier caused my computer to reboot spontaneously when I tried to get the relevant details for a sample disc[/EDIT]

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

surely of more interest is the fact that maplin are selling 25 dvd+r spindles for 23 euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Originally posted by bk
    Hi, don't go on just personal experience. It is not weither they will work now, but will they work in 2 years from now.

I've been burning for about 5 years now, and I have plenty of discs that are useless now as they degrade over time. That is useless if you want to backup important data.

That is why I always check which factory the CD-R's where made in and what Dye they use, that is the only way of checking the quality of discs, I use this application: CD-R Identifier

You see, the thing is CD's and DVD's are rarely made by the company who have the name on the disc, usually they are made by one of about a dozen or more companies/factories around the world. Often the companies who make the disc can change for a particular brand.

The factories that are good are Taiyo Yuden, Kodak and TDK (factory, not necessarily brand), Mitsui Chemicals, Pioneer,
    Ricoh.

But remember these are factories, not brands, so TDK branded discs are not necessarily made in the TDK factory, similarily for Pioneer, etc.

Thank you. This is something I never would have thought about when buying my CD's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by bk

Ricoh.

Ritek DVDr's have a very good reputation, where are you getting your good/bad ratings from?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by John R
    Ritek DVDr's have a very good reputation, where are you getting your good/bad ratings from?

True, I was talking about CD-R.

I got the information from www.cdmediaworld.com

One thing about DVD-R/+R, I haven't seen any proper quality tests yet. What I mean is everyone seems to be basing reputation and quality on how many coasters they get and the compatibility with DVD players. No one seems to be testing if the DVD's will degrade in 5 years, which is what I worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i went down with full intentions of buying 2x 50 disc spindles of TDK cdr's, only to spot a 100 disc spindle of verbatim datalife plus's for €49:)

not too shabby

/edit
    hmmm, they're listed as medium quality on cdmediaworld:dunno:
    which is strange seeing as i burned a couple at 52x and they turned out fine (48x cdr's)

they did seem to be crap at overburning... when i say crap i mean they won't

Originally posted by tman
    hmmm, they're listed as medium quality on cdmediaworld:dunno:
    which is strange seeing as i burned a couple at 52x and they turned out fine (48x cdr's)

Why does everyone keep mixing up quality with the ability to burn.

Almost all CD-R's, even the cheapest rubbish, should work 100% with no coasters, in newer CD burners (last 2 - 3 years).

The question is will it continue to work 12 months from now?

BTW The TDK would be better if they are real TDK factory made discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 copythat

You are dead right. I've had the same experience myself. I do some dj'ing and make backups of my collection for use in clubs and pubs. Ive noticed that some of the cheaper brand will only last about 12 months.
    Ive been using DATAWRITE 52x 700mb/80min Printable from http://www.irldvd.com/CD-R.htm for a long time, I find them to be very reliable and they are only €28.93 + VAT. Not bad for an Irish company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Got 100 verbatim 48x cd-r's in IT Direct on parliment st.Dublin at the weekend, For E32 :D thats E8 cheaper then the last time i bought the same spindle ( few months ago )

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hcvti

I got the datawrite disks from www.irldvd.com last week for 26 euro's inc VAT for 100, so they have dropped also from copy that's purchase.

Are CD's getting cheaper and cheaper because they are becoming an Technology that will not be used anymore?, With the price of dvd's getting cheaper are CD's required?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

www.jes-computer.de have 50 Imation's for €9.99 ................... Thats the best i can do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

SoftTouch have 100 cdr for €25 their in the Bluebell industrial estate...datalife brand i think....they supply a load of mobile phone / computer places parts and stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

i don't get how cd-r quality can degrade over time. surely the data is written and once its put in a cd case it should be fine for years no?

i can understand if they fade away from wear and tear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The dyes used in the manufacture of the discs fade over time, along with your data. Commercial cd's are "pressed", so they don't deteriorate like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 copythat

I got the datawrite disks from www.irldvd.com last week for 26 euro's inc VAT for 100, so they have dropped also from copy that's purchase.

Are CD's getting cheaper and cheaper because they are becoming an Technology that will not be used anymore?, With the price of dvd's getting cheaper are CD's required?
    hcvti

Thanks for the update on www.irldvd.com , I need to order some cd's shortly.
    I see they have good prices on dvd cases also, Are the any good? Quality wise?

copythat

ww)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Mediawrite and IrlDVD are the same folks.... and there's been a very recent of influx of people praising them both.

Maybe it is coincidence but dvstuff and copythat have the same posting style and are both praising this company.

Are jollyrog and hctvi the same too ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

100 verbatim

Play.com

€27 Delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 johnwillnot

Hey guys,
    You should try the United States for CD'S. The dollar is so weak at the moment its got to be a good place to get all this kinda thing. But I suppose yee thaught of that already. Anyway I cant belive yee are still using cd's. Did yee ever hear of thngs called MP3 Players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Originally posted by johnwillnot
    Hey guys,
    You should try the United States for CD'S. The dollar is so weak at the moment its got to be a good place to get all this kinda thing. But I suppose yee thaught of that already. Anyway I cant belive yee are still using cd's. Did yee ever hear of thngs called MP3 Players?

Who said it was only music that we burn? ;)

Originally posted by johnwillnot
    Hey guys,

MPwhatnow? is that some new fangled drug you kids are using?

Originally posted by Dr. Dre
    100 verbatim

Play.com

€27 Delivered.

We can only dispatch gadgets/electronics to U.K addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I bought a ps2(playstation) controller to usb thing last week, should be here in the morning if that counts as a gadget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

was in powercity today and they had a pack of 10 mitsubiushi for 3.95euros but i said it to a mate and he said he got pack of 100 in maplins for 29....seen also 10 pack of DVDRW's(philips)4x for 19.95euro i know u can get cheaper but if ur stuck its not too bad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Oops :)

Ah well, looks like this is another site I'll be using my Northern Ireland adress for - living beside the border has it's advantages.

Advertisement