Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2004 Predictions

• 12-05-2004 4:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

I'm gonna go out on a limb and go with the home team Portugal, I also think that England will be up there if they can run a decent campaign.
    Anybody have the odds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

France 3 - 1
    Italy 5 - 1
    Portugal 7 - 1
    Spain 7 - 1
    England 8 - 1
    Holland 8 - 1
    Czech Rep 14 - 1
    Germany 18 - 1
    Sweden 25 - 1
    Denmark 40 - 1
    Russia 66 - 1
    Bulgaria 80 - 1
    Greece 80 - 1
    Croatia 80 - 1
    Switzerland 100 - 1
    Latvia 500 - 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

One word - France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Has to be France for me too just too many good players,

hard to say what use Portugal will make of the home advantage, Italy will be strong as usual, so many good teams it's going to be a great competition

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Czech Rep are a good price at 14-1. They have a chance.

hyzepher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

France to win, Henry to finish top scorer : 11-1 Paddy Power Had to do it...

I had considered England as possible semi-final candidates, but then I saw that 2nd place in their group (behind France) plays the winner of Spain and Portugal's group.

Tough call that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

France all the way :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

1st: Portugal
    2nd: Italy
    3rd: France
    4th: Czech Rep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Portugal for me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

Italy to win and totti to get player of the tournament.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sweden ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Spain.

Reckon I'll throw away my usual 40 quid on Spain to win at the bookies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I go for Spain every time and they always let me down. I'd like to see Portugal, but it'll probably be France. Or those poxy German's again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

a tenner on germany at 18-1 is a very good bet imo they are always there or there abouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think Portugal and France will be the main 2 contenders with Germany, Spain and England all waiting in the backround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It'll be interesting to see if France can put the ghosts of Korea/Japan behind them. On their day, they're the best team in Europe, but are more than capable of throwing a wobbler. :)

From an Irish point of view, I'd like to see them last as long as possible in the tournament, so they'll be nice and tired for their match with us.

As much as it pains me to say it, I think England have a real chance. If Gerrard, Beckham and Owen can all keep fit (and that's a pretty big if, going by the past!) they'll be pretty tough to beat. Looking a bit weak at the back though, with Woodgate and Rio out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Germany a great price for an each way bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    Germany a great price for an each way bet.

Spain or the Czechs are a good eachway bet

Spain at 7-4 Each way is not a good price.

The Czechs at 7-2 is ok....

But I think that Germany at 9-2 is a cracker.

I wouldn't risk money on Spain making the final at less than 2-1.....

Not when they have a poor finals record in this and the WC..

Germany are allways there or therabouts, no matter how poor they are..

Spain at 7-4 Each way is not a good price.

The Czechs at 7-2 is ok....

But I think that Germany at 9-2 is a cracker.

I wouldn't risk money on Spain making the final at less than 2-1.....

Not when they have a poor finals record in this and the WC..

Germany are allways there or therabouts, no matter how poor they are..
    Don't worry Brigadier, the odds aren't that small for e/w.;) e/w gives 1/2 the odds, not 1/4 (1/4 is horse racing). So, Spain are 7/2 e/w, Czech's are 7/1 and Germany are 9/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Latvia to shock every and get into the ............................... Quarter finals .

• Advertisement

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    Don't worry Brigadier, the odds aren't that small for e/w.;) e/w gives 1/2 the odds, not 1/4 (1/4 is horse racing). So, Spain are 7/2 e/w, Czech's are 7/1 and Germany are 9/1.

I was under the same impression up until last week.

My local bookies had a poster in the window stating 1/4 the odds for eachway bets. I went in and enquired on the football and they stated that yes, it would be 1/4 the odds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Hard to pick a winner, all the european teams are so unpredictable. Given the odds though, money will be on Germany or Czech. I reckon Portugal might do it, especially if Porto win the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

France for me... I think the semi's will be France vs Italy and England vs Germany....Can see it being a France England final, replay of the group game....

Defo few quid going on the germans at those odds tho....Must be one of the first years a german team has been prodominant in the CL? Bayern and stuttgart got to the first knockout, maybe bayern were a little unlucky againt real...

France to win tho...shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

If Paddy Power gave odds on England to completely fall apart, I'd be quicker to bet on that.

One of the best teams on paper but, not gonna win.

I was under the same impression up until last week.

My local bookies had a poster in the window stating 1/4 the odds for eachway bets. I went in and enquired on the football and they stated that yes, it would be 1/4 the odds...
    shít bookies Tbh unless they are giving a 1/4 odds for all semi-finalists.
    http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_type_by_main_market&category=SOCCER&ev_class_id=6&id=2650
    Each way odds 1 / 2 places 1,2

Originally posted by Mighty_Mouse
    If Paddy Power gave odds on England to completely fall apart, I'd be quicker to bet on that.

One of the best teams on paper but, not gonna win.

I went to the bookies to get a price on Ireland to win....I couldn't find one.....

Any idea of the odds on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Netherlands/Holland - would be my favourites.. even know i hate the orange feckers. :eek: they look like a team that can score goals. Especially the way they eat Scotland in the playoffs was shocking..

Bet wise - Germany at 18-1 would be an excellent bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

holland are over-rated. They've got quality forwards but the midfield goes missing a lot. Apart from Davis, its pretty weak. Overmars is past it, Robben is promising but still new. Seedorf can be pretty atrocious at international level. Not great tbh. Defence also has only Stam. hofland seems to have gone down a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll go with France...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Ill go out on a limb and say.... Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Ill go out on a limb and say.... Greece.
    was just going to say them:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭spirit_77

hard to believe thats 8 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

was just going to say them:pac:

Its interesting though isnt it. I was just looking back over threads from Euro 2004 and WC 2002 and loads of teams not given a hope seem to do better than expected... I really really hope we do better than expected. Its going to be class! Oh and fair play to Greece, IMHO, it was one of the most important results in football. It showed everyone that anyone can do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Till this day I'm still disappointed Czech didn't win it. Remember loving watching them at the time. Were best team in it imo. fair play Greece though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Well fairplay to Greece, congrats to them. Can see nothing but plain sailing ahead for the Greek people now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Well done to all the people on this thread who predicted Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Till this day I'm still disappointed Czech didn't win it. Remember loving watching them at the time. Were best team in it imo. fair play Greece though

This was an unbelievable game:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2004/3787537.stm
    The Czech Republic came from 2-0 down to win an enthralling game with Holland and go through to the quarter-finals.

The Dutch took the lead through a Wilfred Bouma header from a Arjen Robben free-kick.

Robben set up Ruud van Nistelrooy to tap in a second before Milan Baros fed Jan Koller to cut their lead.

Baros equalised with a sensational strike before Vladimir Smicer scored a late winner to cruelly deny Holland, who had Johnny Heitinga sent off.

Holland will wonder how they lost the game.

They led after three minutes with virtually their first attack of the game.

Robben put in a free-kick from the right that found Bouma unmarked and he made no mistake with a diving header into the bottom corner.

It was a goal that came against the early run of play as Koller and Marek Jankulovski had already missed chances for the Czech Republic.

Clarence Seedorf twice went close with a free-kick that just edged past the post and a long-range shot after a good move involving Edgar Davids and Van Nistelrooy.

Robben fired in a right-foot shot that Petr Cech did well to save as the Dutch went looking for a second.

They did not have to wait long but there was some controversy about it.

Robben put in a fine cross that seemed destined for the head of Van Nistelrooy but he looked to be fouled in the air.

The Manchester United striker was still complaining when the ball came back for Davids to find Robben and he squared it for Van Nistelrooy, who had come from an offside position to tap home.

Their lead lasted just four minutes as the Dutch handed the Czechs a lifeline.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst needlessly gave the ball away to Baros, who ran at Stam and appeared to have found his way blocked.

But the Liverpool forward showed great persistence to square for Koller who had the simple task of firing past Edwin van der Sar.

Both sides were fully committed to attacking football, which left gaps at the back and led to no shortage of chances.

Heitinga got in on the act as he found room on the right and unleashed a shot that had top corner written all over it before Cech somehow managed to get a hand to it.

Davids beat the impressive Cech with a sweetly-struck left-foot shot but saw it come back off the post.

The end-to-end action continued after the break as Van Nistelrooy saw a header saved by Cech's legs and then Marek Heinz set up Baros only for Van der Sar to pull off a terrific one-handed save.

Robben's withdrawal seemed to hand the initiative to the Czechs and they got an equaliser when Koller chested a deep cross into the path of Baros and he lashed home a half-volley.

The Dutch were reduced to 10 men when Heitinga was harshly adjudged to have brought down Pavel Nedved and was shown a second yellow card.

Nedved was inches away from supplying a suitable finish to the game when his 35-yard shot came back off the bar.

And with two minutes to go Heinz fired in a low shot that Van der Sar did well to save, but Karel Poborsky was first to the rebound and he squared for Smicer to tap in.

Holland: Van der Sar, Heitinga, Stam, Bouma, Van Bronckhorst, Seedorf (Van der Vaart 86), Cocu, Davids, Van der Meyde (Reiziger 79), van Nistelrooy, Robben (Bosvelt 58).
    Subs not used: Westerveld, Waterreus, Kluivert, de Boer, Makaay, Overmars, Sneijder, Van Hooijdonk, Zenden.

Sent Off: Heitinga (75).
    Booked: Seedorf, Heitinga.

Czech Republic: Cech, Grygera (Smicer 24), Ujfalusi, Jiranek, Jankulovski, Galasek (Heinz 62), Poborsky, Rosicky, Nedved, Baros, Koller (Rozehnal 75).
    Subs not used: Blazek, Kinsky, Mares, Lokvenc, Vachousek, Hubschman, Tyce, Plasil.

Booked: Galasek.

Attendance: 30,000.

Referee: Manuel Enrique Mejuto Gonzalez (Spain).

Paully D wrote: »

Remember that. Was a cracker. They'd a good battle at euro 2000 too iirc. Loved the Czech's in it. Was gutted for them when they lost on silver goal. Probably the most one-sided Euro semi you'll ever see and they still lost!

Have always loved the Euros far more than the world cup!

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Have always loved the Euros far more than the world cup!

Got to agree with that. The opening phase of the World Cup goes on too long and almost feels like a formality due to the sheer number of rubbish teams involved. Then by the time the knock-outs start you're already burnt out as a viewer.

At 2014 (Unless Ireland qualify or two big teams get paired) I'm just skipping the group phase entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭smallerthanyou

Was in Germany for the last round of games and sitting in a large green watching it on a big screen with beer when the Czechs beat Germany 2-1 to send them home from the group stages. Lots of sad Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Well done to all the people on this thread who predicted Greece.

Well done to all of those who predicted Greece in 2004, you mean.

Oh wait - there was none. :D

Well done to all of those who predicted Greece in 2004, you mean.

Oh wait - there was none. :D

thats_the_joke-jpg.31014

Since were at it, I also predict Czechoslovakia will win Euro 1976 this summer with a cheeky penalty kick in the final. In 1993 (after the fall of communism which I have now predicted here) they break up into two separate countries and three years later one of those new nations (called "Czech Republic" will once again get to the Euro final).

I don't know how I'm actually posting this as the WWW doesn't exist at this point.

Advertisement