Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zalman heatpipe VGA cooler

Options
  • 12-05-2004 7:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of picking one of these up, since my Radeon fan sounds like a bloody chainsaw.
    And it's really rendering my CPU flower cooler and quiet PSU a bit pointless.

So has anyone else tried one?
    How has it effected your OC (if any)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

I use one on my 9800Pro. Works perfectly well. No overclock on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

sitting on my gainward ti 4200 -- allows for a much nicer oc. Fiddly to set up but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

I have one on my Ti4200 also , i found it pretty easy to install and have had no problems. It will take up one of your PCI slots and you would want to watch to make sure you have clearence the other side also ;) .

The artic cooler mite be another option, cheaper and cools great. Only real proint i see in gettin the Zalman is if you have a completely silent system (ie almost totally passivly cooled) or the artic cooler wont fit your card.

Ive pretty much quiet everything and i wouldnt notice any noise increase from the artic cooelr.

Mite save you a few bob , plus if you have a 9800pro or higher you have to use a fan with the Zalman .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Well every other noise-making component in the PC has been replaced with a "quiet" alternative*... so why take chances on a fan that may or may not be quiet when I can get 100% guarenteed silence from a passive heatsink.
    I'm running a 9600pro which should be fine by all accounts.

Believe me - I'd go completely passive if I could afford it ;)
    Actually I've always wondered... are there passive cooling solutions for PSU and CPU that don't involve liquid cooling of some sort? (or extreme underclocking)

Only 2 fans remain in the system...
    CPU hsf = Zalman flower cooler, with large fan at lowest available RPM
    PSU = Sharkoon 300W ~20DB
    Chipset fan = disconnected as it's being cooled by 'left-overs' from the CPU fan.
    HD = not directly fitted to chasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Well im prob going to do somethin along those lines this summer and find out. Keeping one rig for performance and one for silence. At the min ive replaced almost everything with a quieter solution also. The main noise comes from the pump on my water cooling rig.

Id agree with you as your running an extremely quiet rig from the looks of things........ go with the Zalman, you wont be dissapointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I finaly got my heatpipe cooler, very pleased with it.
    Although now I'm starting to notice the ambient hum from my monitor... any suggestions?! :D
    Are TFT monitors more quiet than CRTs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    I finaly got my heatpipe cooler, very pleased with it.
    Although now I'm starting to notice the ambient hum from my monitor... any suggestions?! :D
    Are TFT monitors more quiet than CRTs?

i have a silent system and its amazing that you can hear the hdd''s and cd/dvd roms that you start to notice, i bought a coolermaster cooldrive 4 for the main 120 gig system hdd but there is still another 80gig one sitting on the 3.5 bay... as for the monitor.. hmm i have a 17" tft and i cant hear any noise what so ever, trying to remember back to when i had a CRT :p

as for oc, with my zalman and fan i managed to get my 9800 pro upto 410 / 357 with it on without artifacts

Advertisement