Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TEXTING while DRIVING

Options
  • 12-05-2004 8:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

anybody notice the new trend of people texting while driving
    Happened to me , came around a tight corner on a 60 mph main road and saw some fool going 40 (at night) While writin a text message (the phone light was shining in her face) so I just flashed the lights and cut her up when I had her attention....The killing thing was she was 20secs looking at her fone each time with only the occasional look up on the road

penalty points!? revoked licence more like!
    Makes my blood boil!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yeap I've noticed that aswell, its pretty common

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Incredibly stupid too.
    Driving along the N4 last weekend I passed a van and when I looked in the mirror the driver had a newspaper spread over the steering wheel reading it...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭skipn_easy

I've seen bus drivers doing this a few times, having a newspaper spread across the wheel and a mobile phone in one hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Thats nothing, last week I saw a bus driver with the Times spread over the wheel, his mobile in one hand, he was writing into his PDA with a stylus in his mouth, and in between writing he was eating a bacon sandwich. All this while watching Pee Wee Herman on a 32 inch plasma tv where he should have benn looking at the road.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Seems to be pretty common alright, Ive often sent a text while sitting in traffic
    but as soon as the cars start to move, then phone gets chucked onto the seat
    beside me until im stopped again..

No idea how anyone can text and drive at the same time and actually claim to be
    paying attention to the road ahead.. :rolleyes:

I heard some guy was either badly injured or killed in a crash somewhere in the
    midlands a few weeks back and apparently he was texting at the time.. dunno if
    there is any truth behind it tho..

Tox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Originally posted by leonotron
    Thats nothing, last week I saw a bus driver with the Times spread over the wheel, his mobile in one hand, he was writing into his PDA with a stylus in his mouth, and in between writing he was eating a bacon sandwich. All this while watching Pee Wee Herman on a 32 inch plasma tv where he should have benn looking at the road.

Ya I saw it as well It scared me so bad, I dropped my electric shaver, which knocked the kebab out of my other hand. In all the confusion of trying to straighten out the car using my knees against the steering wheel, it knocked my cell phone away from my ear which fell into the coffee between my legs, splashed and burned 'Big Jim and the Twins', ruined the phone and DISCONNECTED AN IMPORTANT CALL. DAMN BAD DRIVERS !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭LazStanaridis

"some fool going 40 (at night)"...."The killing thing was she was 20secs looking at her fone each time"

- that's more than 300m without looking up; quite a long distance...........

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

so I just flashed the lights and cut her up when I had her attention

Shouldn't be doing this mate - you're not the traffic police/garda/whatever - it's not your job to do things like this. Report her to the relevant people. I hate people on the road who act like amateur police. Don't get me wrong though, what she was doing makes my blood boil too. Doing what you did though won't make her stop doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I think its a new type of extreme sport... max out of adrenaline if you can survive the text... TO THE MAX!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Merrion
    Incredibly stupid too.
    Driving along the N4 last weekend I passed a van and when I looked in the mirror the driver had a newspaper spread over the steering wheel reading it...:eek:

Seen that sort of thing often - the steering in a large van/truck is so steady and "slow" (if in good nick)
    that you feel like its driving itself at times....dangerous thing to belive of course!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by leonotron

Yeah saw that too. You failed to notice though that his wife was giving him a blow-job at the time as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Originally posted by unkel
    Yeah saw that too. You failed to notice though that his wife was giving him a blow-job at the time as well

oooh, matron! you are awful!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Originally posted by unkel

f*ckin classic :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

I know , I know but the thing about it was you would too with the shock that I got coming round that corner at 10 .30 that night with medium traffic. The thing about it was I was more worried we were going to crash than anything (you should have seen it )I understand how people get road rage :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Originally posted by daggeredge
    I know , I know but the thing about it was you would too with the shock that I got coming round that corner at 10 .30 that night with medium traffic. The thing about it was I was more worried we were going to crash than anything (you should have seen it )I understand how people get road rage :(

That's women for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

? how do you know it was his wife?:)

Originally posted by cujimmy
    ? how do you know it was his wife?:)

Indeed, its usualy 6th form schoolgirls.....:eek:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

it just annoys me?:confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by mike65
    Indeed, its usualy 6th form schoolgirls.....:eek:

Mike.
    is this based on personal experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Originally posted by LazStanaridis
    "some fool going 40 (at night)"...."The killing thing was she was 20secs looking at her fone each time"

- that's more than 300m without looking up; quite a long distance...........

If he was watching her to check the exact time she stared at her phone then I guess he wasn't looking at the road either.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by kbannon
    is this based on personal experience?

*cough* I should be so lucky. Nah I recall a newspaper story form years back about a bus driver (regular service) who used to get "paid in kind".

Mike.

Advertisement