Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Beheaded & Prisioner Treatment

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    I heard about this story on EuroNews this morning, and they showed the start of the video - and cut the footage as they took out the knife and pushed him to the ground... disturbing to say the least.
    I hope to God the full thing isn't floating around the net. :(
    The only message I think they're sending out is that they're a bunch of sick bastards.

I can see the reasoning in not wanting the video to be out there to view. At the same time I think possibly it should be. Just like I think that footage of the horrors of what happens in war should be shown for the public. It makes people more aware of the reality of it. I think there might be a lot less of it going around should that happen across the media spectrum.

Originally posted by kahlua
    The horrific beheading i think had nothing to do with the treatment of prisoners

If you mean that the two aren't comparable...I agree, if you are saying that they had nothing to do with each other, then why did these murderers demand that some prisoners be released?
    look at when different nationals were being kidnapped, then they ordered the immediate withdrawal of all soldiers from Iraq, this was an impossible and unreliastic demand but it generated huge amount media attention.

Unrealistic? ...maybe... unreasonable? I don't agree

Originally posted by bonkey
    Does that make this execution less horrific? Less condemnable?

No that wasn't what I was trying to say. I'm trying to get across that it isn't surprising given the circumstances.

No, they're taking what is apparently an innocent non-related-to-the-conflict civilian who happens to be of teh same nationality as those who are invading, and decided to kill him to send a message.

Yes but its reality that anyone related to the occupation will be targeted, as has been precedent in this situation and others like it.
    If this was a soldier - or even a civilian "contractor" - being executed, then perhaps the relevance of who invaded whom may be important, but from what I've read, it was an innocent civilian who got killed.

Early American settlers were also "innocent" as well. At the same time they also propogated the war against the native Americans and furthered the taking of their land. This guy works for the coalition as I understand it. I think it reality to expect that people like him will be targeted. Again I'm not saying that what happened to Berg is justifiable.

Correct. Nothing more atrocious. Also, nothing less atrocious.

jc

I agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

To any mods out there, please don't let thread go the same way as the last one.

I'm not saying don't close it. I'm saying be quicker to dish out those warnings!

The last thread was pathetic to read. Every good point would be countered by someone flaming someone else. What the hell is the point in allowing that?

So folks, please be civil this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭minority

I just saw the video and i nearly got sick.
    Its not just a beheading, its absoluteky horrible.
    I was going to post it but really it shouldnt be seen.
    You cant imagine how bad it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Ryvita

Originally posted by vorbis
    the people who did this are absolute savages. It doesn't justify the American abuses but it does but them in perspective.

I don't think the abuse of Iraqis has anything to do with Al Qaeda. It's great publicity for them for sure!

The Iraqis who were being asbused weren't Al Qaeda? It's unfair to group them together. Iraq had nothing to do with September 11.

I can't stop thinking about what the poor man went through and what his family must be going through. I haven't even seen the video but even the description is harrowing enough. I really couldn't watch a film of someone being murdered. I don't think I'd be able to get over seeing something like that.

As for the Iraqis being abused. It's just as sickening. The americans are just as bad.

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    fair enough, but that was the justiciation they gave.

how is it supposed?

Yep

Actually I wasn't directing that at your original post. I was more thinking about some people's comments I heard comparing this to the prisoners (as some sick justification for the treatment of the Iraq prisoners...ie, how these "animals" only understand one thing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

It is easily the most shocking, brutal thing I have ever seen, and I have seen a decapitation clip before. Also, I had no sound, and the sound is supposed to be the worst bit.
    But as I said already, I don't regret watching it.

Everyone should make up their own minds as to whether they want to see it. Just be warned.

Tbh I don't think you need to see something like that to understand that it's horrific.

I don't know how anyone can manage to look at that. I'd have nightmares for weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭minority

you definietly need to see it to understand just how horrific it is.
    I cant stress enough that you just cant imagine how horrific it is until you see it.
    I have a pretty strong imagination and it was a hundred times worse than i imagined it.

Take this bit of advise and stick woth your imagination. Dont watch it unless you want nightmares.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by minority
    you definietly need to see it to understand just how horrific it is.
    I cant stress enough that you just cant imagine how horrific it is until you see it.
    I have a pretty strong imagination and it was a hundred times worse than i imagined it.

Take this bit of advise and stick woth your imagination. Dont watch it unless you want nightmares.

Yeah I will definately stick with what I'm imagining - it's bad enough. What I'm saying is that I don't need to actually see it to fell outraged by it if you know what I mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I also haven't watched it [& don't intend to] ... imagining [sp?] it has my stomach turning as it is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Before watching it I knew it was a horrific terrible act of cruelty and would sicken me...but it was 100 times worse, Just how helpless he is, arms behind his back . Four guys holding him down while one....well you know :( left me feeling deeply sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

fox news had a "special report" on how easy it is to tamper with photographs. I am telling you i watch fox news all the time because it is hilarious.

Advertisement