Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Lough

Options
  • 12-05-2004 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭

Anyone knowif Cork Lough still holds head of decent Carp ?.

I remember the the Central Fisheries Board and the South Western Regional Fisheries Board tried to removethem to largr waters & there was all hell let loose from the local anglers that they should be returned, but never heaqrd any more after that ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭LastIrishMonkey

Yes sir it does, its class spot to fish but beware of the swans dipping the necks into the water.

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~exfish/cork_lough.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Thanks - nice to know the CFB plan failed - I wonder if the record is still alive in there ? - she was taken at 29lbs in the late 90's - its feasable she could stillbe very healthy - just wiser !!!

Found this report from Sept 03 on the Munster site....

Dave Hayes and Paul Gilbert from Runcorn Cheshire fished the Lough on Wed 03/09/03 and had 256lbs of carp between them. Dave 130lbs paul 126lbs. They used pole tactics, fishing for 5 hours only. The fish where all between 4 and 7lbs 14 elastic needed fishing 18 inches deep using a dibber float, feeding pellet using corn and maggot fishing at 7 mtrs, a good days sport!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

It could well be alive still.. carp usually don't live past 17 years or so but its possible for them to live for 50 years. Stuffed with food in the lough if its smart enough to dodge the anglers it could still be there.

It was reported to be alive when the CFB tried skimming the fish out a couple of years back & there's certainly no shortage of food in the lough.

I took a buddy from England there once & he looked at me in amazement accusing me of fishing in a duck pond (which basically it is). There are some good tench there as well, mainly around the back areas, away from the road - red sweetcorn seems to be the favourite

Sweetcorn and dog mixer and sometimes tined meat u catch a nice couple of tench or an odd roach but i failed to hook a Carp once he stapped the line but i dont think i hurt him those hooks fall out after couple of days in the water but the feckin swans are anoying :rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement

The hook would soon rot, so no problems there.

Out of interest, what type of dog mixer do you use & do you hook it or loose feed. I've heard of loads of people having success on it, but never much luch myself ?

A

Use long shank hooks put 2 pieces of tesco value dog mixer on use a float also u know all that but also throw some loose mixer into the water too ! :D

btw about hooks falling out after a few days... that is often not the case. Same with hooks rotting - sometimes they can stay there for years.

Point taken.......

The Boffs ar working on a new degradeable hook that will in effect be a one use tool - as soon as it is exposed to water, the degredation begins, but its gonna be a way off yet I suspect.

I know there was a special range of sea hooks that degraded very quickly; but the salt water could have made that easier

• Advertisement

Suspect so - I 'm sure I read an article that they had actually made one of these hooks for fresh water, but the fact that they would very expensive in the first place & then only have a life span of 24 hours made is commerically unviable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 concork

When I was young, we used to fish for minnows in the Lough - we use to call them "thorneens".

Does anyone know the correct spelling of this word?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

concork wrote: »
    When I was young, we used to fish for minnows in the Lough - we use to call them "thorneens".

Does anyone know the correct spelling of this word?

Thanks

You do know its over four years since this thread was posted/replied to?:D
    Anyway, there is loads of different names for the type of fish your talking about but the minnow is a differen spicies, the common name is Stickleback but some call them pinkies, pinkeens and thorneens.
    Welcome to Boards by the way:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 concork

Thanks for the amazingly quick repsonse - I had a friend who was writing an article about their childhood and they were struggling with the name. It would be interesting to see where the word "thorneen" came from, but my guess is that it might be from the "thorns" on the back of the fish (I looked up an image of the stickleback on Google!)

Thanks again!

Advertisement