Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a car and Change of ownership

Options
  • 12-05-2004 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm selling car privately for the first time. I need to fill in the back part of the Veh. Licencing Cert, but should I give that to the new owner as I am still liable for anything that car does until the motor tax office receive it. If they dont send it in or wait a few weeks then I'm liable. The car is taxed for the next few months. Should I keep it and post it myself and if so then how does the new owner have any rights to the car ?

Whats my best option here.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

*you* send it in - don't trust anybody - you could be done for speeding or whatever!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

Thanks. So what do they get to prove the trasaction took place. Is a written reciept for the money normal ?

This is all worst case senario and I'm sure they will be fine upstanding people but your right I dont trust anyone.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

write out a receipt for the buyer if they look for one

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Originally posted by blazesoftware
    Hi,

I'm selling car privately for the first time. I need to fill in the back part of the Veh. Licencing Cert, but should I give that to the new owner as I am still liable for anything that car does until the motor tax office receive it. If they dont send it in or wait a few weeks then I'm liable. The car is taxed for the next few months. Should I keep it and post it myself and if so then how does the new owner have any rights to the car ?

Whats my best option here.

Thanks

You do it.

You'd be surprised at how many people get lumped with parking and speeding fines for cars they sold with no proper change-of-ownership done (even to supposedly reputable dealers).

Or worse . . . what if the car is used in a crime or knocks somebody down. It wouldn't be very nice to have the Gardai knocking on your door for *that* one !

Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blazesoftware

Thanks all. Car sold. I have posted the Veh Lic Cert this morning so I know its done. Also checked with local guards so see what they had to say.

Anyway the people who bought it seemed very nice.

Now what to spend the money on...

• Advertisement
Advertisement