Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gruesome Be-heading

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by uberwolf
    Without having seen the clip, will this not backfire in terms of the public opinion backlash which I had the impression was beginning to turn against the war in America itself, acts like this are self defeating even in the context of war/eye-foreye, etc. The battle for hearts and minds that Bush et al were so desperate to win in Iraq was being lost in America. Will this slow/stop/reverse this?

I think its hard to say - the US public may be so enraged they swing behind the government and Bush responds accordingly or they may view this as proof that Iraqis cant be "made good" its not worth the candle and the only thing to do is cut and run. Somehow I dont see any middle way....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Klaz, I think that is terrible advice! I think this is the sort of clip that could prevent people from sleeping at night. I watched it about half an hour ago with no sound, and I'm still knocked for six by how sickening it was. Also, I have seen a decapitation clip before. So, if you want to watch the clip, you have been warned.
    As I said, I don't regret watching it, but man, it was the most vicious thing I have ever seen.

Wacker, I've seen worse things on Horror movies than that execution. I'm not trying to be harsh, but it is not a gruesome death to watch. Some images I've seen of the Vietnam and WW2 have been alot more guesome to see.

Its thirty (ish) seconds of them hacking through the throat of the individual. He probably would have been dead after (I'd say at most) 10 seconds. The worst part of the video is the sound, and the head being carried fom the body.

Again i'm not trying to inflame people. But I do think people need to see this. It Will be used by the US as justification. People need to know what the papers and TV are actually commenting on themselves.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Wacker
    As I said, I don't regret watching it, but man, it was the most vicious thing I have ever seen.
    I think what klaz is saying that it's not the most gruesome clip, in terms of blood or gore, that he's seen. Which it isn't. What it is though is thoroughly sickening and disturbing because it's real and because of
    the cries of distress before the execution
    . It's the bit that I've placed in the spoiler space that really hammers home just how vile this act was and how, as a spieces, we're truly capable of being complete and utter bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

Again i'm not trying to inflame people. But I do think people need to see this. It Will be used by the US as justification. People need to know what the papers and TV are actually commenting on themselves.

i dont think so.,
    its simple,
    a knife, a neck and a lot of blood.

thats it.
    watch it, dont watch it.

you dont need to watch it to comment on the barbarity of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    Pity? How magnanimous of you.
    I'm sure his parents would be delighted to hear that some moron in Ireland watched their son die and had his pity

You chose not to shy away from it?
    Aren't you just fantastic? You're a warrior in this "media driven world" facing up to the evil of man and staring it in the face.
    Or are you a spotty teenager who watched it and said
    "wow did ya see dat?!?!?!"

The latter I would think.

Call me a moron, a spotty teenager ... how tough. The truth is you wouldn't have the balls to even speak to me, let alone insult me if you met me in person.

My point stands, there is nothing wrong with seeing something like this if you choose to - in fact I believe that in order to truly appreciate something like this you have to witness it. I had heard of the tape and seen news clippings about this topic which had very little impact on me. Seeing the video has changed my thoughts completely. Is there something wrong with feeling pity and developing a clear image of how horrendous these news bite crimes are? Peole can often just breeze over things they hear on the radio - things they see carry a lot more weight. If this tape makes people more appreciative of the true nature of war and terrorism then maybe it will provide a small stimulus for change.

As for the parents of the kid, who the **** are you to say what they would want or not want? Maybe they want people to know what happened to pressure the government to look into the matter? Maybe they wish the tape wasn't made public. Neither you nor I know. But the fact is it was made public, and made public by the executioners and frankly I doubt that the family move much beyond that right now in their condemnation of it.

JAK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

After reading and listening to lots of comments and discuss, while thinking to myself, jeez there are so many determined groups out there that think this kind of thing is really going to make a difference, when, unfortunately it doesn't in the long run. it just shows how sick these people are. People from all nations have done and will do these kinda things in the future. Whether its for political purposes or for any other purpose.
    Jesus Christ. The world is slowly going mad. I have no doubt at sometime in the future man wll ulitimately be its own worst enemy, we are already..

Wrong place wrong time... but if it hadn't been him it would have been someone else, they are determined to do this in an effort to clear the allied forces out of any Islamic country, not just Iraq. They think it will scare us out. I have no doubt that there will be more of this kind of thing. Everyone thinks their way is best.

Its so so sad, the real world! It will never be at peace. We choose to ignore the things that we don't like. Maybe thats some of the problem.
    Anyway, RANT OVER.

Vid. I did. Sick people.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

ixoy, you get paid your money and take your chances. Can you seriously imagine anybody working out there and NOT having a thought in the back of their head that they might be tortured, raped, decapitated or otherwise gruesomely killed, held hostage, etc. It's a shame the guy was beheaded for something he (probably) had nothing to do with, but I've been far more sickened in the last week by what I've seen in the New Yorker and everywhere else. I don't consider ritual humiliation and killing of prisoners by armed bullies in uniform to be any more of a vile act than a bunch of pissed-off Iraqis cutting someone's head off (or vice versa).

BTW the Israelis do worse things to Palestinians every day and nobody takes a blind bit of notice. That's cos their terrorism is US-supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

ixoy, I cannot believe you used a spoiler!!

Makes it seem like we're talking about the latest episode of WWE RAW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Originally posted by klaz
    Its not that gruesome.

I saw a lower quality one, with the sound turned down, last night. It's definately the most "gruesome" video I've seen, and it did keep me from sleeping last night. I've deleted the video and I don't want to see it again.

It's hard to find suitable adjectives, if any, to describe this.

• Advertisement

BTW the Israelis do worse things to Palestinians every day and nobody takes a blind bit of notice. That's cos their terrorism is US-supported.

And the Palestinians are willing to do the same back to the Israelis, and the Russians have done similiar in their occupied areas, and the US did the same in Vietnam. The difference here, is that there is a film showing the act for everyone to see.

This will be talked about. By almost everyone thats in touch with the world.

And the Palestinians are willing to do the same back to the Israelis, and the Russians have done similiar in their occupied areas, and the US did the same in Vietnam. The difference here, is that there is a film showing the act for everyone to see.

This will be talked about. By almost everyone thats in touch with the world.

It's only being talked about because it's an American.

I've (unfortunately) seen plenty of movies with Russians killing people. They never make the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

The difference here, is that there is a film showing the act for everyone to see.

if a tree falls in a wood, does anyone hear it?

you dont need to put something on television to realise how gruesome and barbarous(is this a word??) it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I think this thread says as much about the barbarity of the executions as it does about you guys. It puts me in mind the audiences at medieval hangings; it must be such a thrill for you all.

It's only being talked about because it's an American.

So if it was an Irishman or an Englishman or any other national, it wouldn't be talked about?
    PLEASE!

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire
    ...it must be such a thrill for you all.

Now now, we don't all want to see it.

you dont need to put something on television to realise how gruesome and barbarous(is this a word??) it is.

In this culture of the TV lifestyle you do. Oh you can say how terrible it is, simply dropping words that you heard your parents or friends say.

However, the video gives you a chance to form your own opinion. And I'd prefer people to watch this video, and form their own opinions, rather than take them from some sensenationalist Journalist or TV station.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by Jak
    Call me a moron, a spotty teenager ... how tough. The truth is you wouldn't have the balls to even speak to me, let alone insult me if you met me in person.

JAK.

Excuse me? "Go *** yourself"? You can dish it out but can't seem to take it. Big man.

I really do hope that I never meet you.
    For the simple reason that I would appear so small standing beside such an inflated opinion.
    I didn't even read the rest of your post because it would waste valuable seconds of my life to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire
    I think this thread says as much about the barbarity of the executions as it does about you guys. It puts me in mind the audiences at medieval hangings; it must be such a thrill for you all.

www.business.ie reports a run on balls of wool.

Mike.

Originally posted by kleefarr
    So if it was an Irishman or an Englishman or any other national, it wouldn't be talked about?
    PLEASE!

This kind of torture happens every day all over the world, but we only care when it's someone who comes from a country with money.

The world doesn't give a **** what happens to the people living in "poorer" countries.

• Advertisement

it must be such a thrill for you all.

Oh grow up. You're on a politics board. If you want to rant abt morals, stick to a humanities board.

In this culture of the TV lifestyle you do. Oh you can say how terrible it is, simply dropping words that you heard your parents or friends say.

However, the video gives you a chance to form your own opinion. And I'd prefer people to watch this video, and form their own opinions, rather than take them from some sensenationalist Journalist or TV station.

Thats the main reason why I did. I've seen all too often, the media displaying selectively chosen clips in order to get , not the real message across, but the message they want, across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

I've been lurking on this topic but felt compelled to make a post. I have not seen the video and have no intention of watching it. I've asked myself why I won't watch it and tend to agree with some of the initial post by Sleipnir but without climbing as high on the moral high ground.
    To willingly witness such an act, I feel, would taint me in some manner, somehow involve me with the murderer. Everyone has their own personality and are not as easily offended as others, therefore if some people have the stomach and emotional capacity to witness such an atrocity it is their business.

I feel the killers intention was revenge, shock and create debate, but to use a young man's life as a commodity to influence the media shows how debased modern society has become. To witness someone suffer is repulsive and it is consoling to hear that the majority of people on this post who did witness the video were sickened.

I respect your feelings Sleipnir but I feel its is unfair to judge others who may have more tolerence to witness without feeling involved and tainted but yet are as equally disguisted as we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

I'm not going to beat around the bush, these blokes are f*****g animals, no judge, no jury just straight to execution.

they do yeah, they film a bloke getting his head cut off all the time while they chant "god is great". Of course walking into a cafe or ride on a bus with a couple of kg of explosives attached to you is likely to remove your head

Animals, thats all they are.

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    Animals, thats all they are.

I hope you're including the Israelis with this.

They have killed way way more Palestinians than the Palestinans have killed Israelis.

This kind of torture happens every day all over the world, but we only care when it's someone who comes from a country with money.

Maybe for you it would, but even if it had been a peasant from Serbia, it would have had the same effect on me.

Its an execution/murder, not torture.

Maybe for you it would, but even if it had been a peasant from Serbia, it would have had the same effect on me.

Its an execution/murder, not torture.

Not for me. When I said "we" I meant "not a poor country".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Oh grow up. You're on a politics board. If you want to rant abt morals, stick to a humanities board.

Please explain to me what profound political insights you obtained while jerking off to this video; I’d be most interested to be educated by someone with such a vast amount of years behind them, feel free to discuss it in your civics class before replying.

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    I hope you're including the Israelis with this.

They have killed way way more Palestinians than the Palestinans have killed Israelis.

Thats probably why it will never get sorted. They feel the need to "level the score".
    Such a futile mentality.

• Advertisement

Thats probably why it will never get sorted. They feel the need to "level the score".
    Such a futile mentality.

Perhaps, but more importantly they want their land back from a brutal opressor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement