Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Andreas: official site up with some piccys

Options
  • 12-05-2004 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rockstargames.com/sanandreas

just got this in the rockstar newsletter... but i can't actually access the site myself:(

if anyone would be so kind as to mirror the pictures for me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd appreciate that too :)

*curses websense and its blocking of games sites*

Are they gonna leave the PC release of this for ages afterwards too? I hope not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i'd say november for the ps2 & may for the pc will be a safe bet.
    damn sony and their truckloads of money:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

screen01.jpg

screen02.jpg

screen03.jpg

heh, i'd actually go out and buy a ps2 if it ends up looking anywhere near that nice:D

(drive by bicycle missions!!! wh00t)

thanks L5, mucho appreciated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pop a cap in yo b*tch ass. Looks like a right laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

what time frame do you think its set. i had heard 70's san francisco.ie starsky and hutch, bullit type missions but after seeing the screen shots possibly not

i remember hearing that it'd be set during the LA riots in the early 90's. and you'd work for a fat mob boss by the name of Tommy Vercietti:D

the bicycle rumour was true, so fingers crossed those 2 are as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Looks like early 90's gangsta slums - probably a parody of Compton. IIRC, San Andreas was the final city in the original GTA, and was an amalgamation of San Francisco and Los Angeles.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

yeah come to think of it that sounds right for the original game. pitty i had loiked forward to driving a unlicencsed mustang clone around San Francisco

makes me think of that south park episode with the bloods and the crips :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

here we go again..hype overdrive from rockstar. I remember vice city screens looking that good when they first came out..then playing a horrible fogged low res travesty on the ps2. domt get sucked into the hype!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by tman
    http://www.rockstargames.com/sanandreas

just got this in the rockstar newsletter... but i can't actually access the site myself:(

if anyone would be so kind as to mirror the pictures for me...
    I got it at 4:29 am this morning :D

Checked it out this morning, screens are fairly pointless :(

Originally posted by Deadwing
    here we go again..hype overdrive from rockstar. I remember vice city screens looking that good when they first came out..then playing a horrible fogged low res travesty on the ps2. domt get sucked into the hype!!!
    I dont remember vice city's graphics being bad, quite the opposite...

Originally posted by Deadwing
    i can't recall seeing any vice city ps2 promo pics that were of a higher res than 640x480...

I played vice city on my PC, a nice smooth hi-res experience.

Any word on what the music is gonna be like in this? Are they gonna licence some early 90s stuff vice city style or go with original music GTA3 style?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Vice looked great on pc, i have it myself. im just saying at last years e3 they showed off lovely high res pics of vice city (supposedly the ps2 version) and the finished game looked remarkably worse than the early screens. i have most of those early photos at home, ill upload a few when i get back and you can compare them to the finished ps2 version if you like.

Yeah I've seen them myself. You're never going to see sharp hi-res images from a console on a regular TV screen anyway.

Originally posted by Celt
    I got it at 4:29 am this morning :D

Checked it out this morning, screens are fairly pointless :(
    a new type of vehicle, a new setting and gangs actually doing proper drivebys...
    anything but pointless imo, they give a good idea of what we should expect from the game

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Deadwing is totally right, the ps2 cannot render stuff near the quality shown in those images in a month of sundays, firstly the resolution looks quite high similar to what you would get on the pc, also look at how sharp it is, texture quality, colour depth and there is high antialiasing settings similar to what you get on a high end geforce 4/5 card. In reality the ps2 version will have jaggies similar to the other 2 gta games and lower texture quality, lower resolution giving a more blurry look.

It annoys me that this will come out on a by then over 4 year old low-spec machine first with nearly a years wait for pc and possibly longer for xbox. daft. The ports to the pc worked well with fantastic graphic improvements but the xbox version turned into a lazy conversion with graphics hardly any better than the ps2 and I feel the same will happen with this game when it finally makes it to the xbox.

Those screenshots do look great tho and I will most certainly buy the pc version when it eventually comes out and perhaps the xbox version if they do a proper conversion of it.

Arent PS2 games developed on PC's for the most part?(dont know, just what I thought).

Just browsing the official vice city site,

screenD01.jpg
    If you had a 13" tv, wouldnt it look as good as that?

Of course it's going to look worse then official screenshots splashed across a 28 inch TV.

Also, Vice City and San Andreas, neither are called GTA4, so why is everyone expecting them to be ground breaking?

Vice City delivered a whole new experience over GTA3, and its music/radio stations were mind blowing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Originally posted by Gonzo
    Deadwing is totally right, the ps2 cannot render stuff near the quality shown in those images in a month of sundays, firstly the resolution looks quite high similar to what you would get on the pc, also look at how sharp it is, texture quality, colour depth and there is high antialiasing settings similar to what you get on a high end geforce 4/5 card. In reality the ps2 version will have jaggies similar to the other 2 gta games and lower texture quality, lower resolution giving a more blurry look.

I know what you mean, it annoys me that the xbox and ps2 do this with the screenshots and videos of upcoming games. I remember looking at a promo for prtoject gotham on tv, and it looked smooth as hell. Then when I got the game it had a nasty amount of jaggies. Same with the ps2 games such as vice city.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Looks like Little Haiti in Vice City :/

Is the 'Thierry Henry'esque guy in shot 2 the main character?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

WOW yet another cash in that offers noting more than one or two new cars/bikes some what better graphics (which will be shocking on the pc anyway) and a few new radio stations

yey! :rolleyes:

*WHINE*

Originally posted by Stephen
    *WHINE*

I need to get this stuff off my chest every now and again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by bizmark
    WOW yet another cash in that offers noting more than one or two new cars/bikes some what better graphics (which will be shocking on the pc anyway) and a few new radio stations

If its not broke, why fix it?

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    If its not broke, why fix it?

Meh you have to change every now and again to keep things interesting im hopeing Gta 4 will be bring something new to the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by bizmark

Yeah, but it's the new missions I'd enjoy.

Also, if anyone hasn't seen the film Scarface since they first played GTA3 and ViceCity... I'd advise you to go out and get it right now.
    I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago, and I was shocked to see Vice City being so directly derived from it... every detail of the Vercetti mansion is copied from Al Pacinos mansion in the movie, the chainsaw, Miami beach... everything.
    Including I might add - the soundtrack... tracks we all know and love like "rush-rush to the ey-oh", "I'm hot tonight", "She's on fire" and some others I think... now call me a n00b, but I was convinced Rockstar composed these tracks because I'd never heard them before, and here I see them in a 20 year old(?) movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

The manuals give you a track listing for the radio stations. The Scarface tracks are from GTA3, I can't remember the station name, but all the tracks on it are from the Scarface OST.
    Vice City is basically Scarface the game.

I can't wait for San Andreas. Vice City was a big improvement imo over GTA3 and hopefully San Andreas will improve on Vice City.
    Hopefully it'll be a bigger city anyway.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Makaveli
    The manuals give you a track listing for the radio stations. The Scarface tracks are from GTA3, I can't remember the station name, but all the tracks on it are from the Scarface OST.
    flashbackflashbackFLASHBACK
    with DJ Toni
    my favourite station:p

KJah was also derived from 1 album afaik "Scientist - rids the world... of the curse of the evil vampires"
    borrowed it off a friends brother the other day, one of the greatest dub albums i've ever heard

Advertisement