Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XP CD Burning Hangs System

Options
  • 12-05-2004 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

I am running XP Home, on a Philips Multimedia PC, 256 RAM and Pentium4 Processor. I have all the latest patches, updates, and service packs from Microsoft installed. I run fully updated Norton Internet Security and System Works Pro 2004, Spywareguard, Spywareblaster, and run regular Adaware and Spybot checks, so I know I am virus free.

I have a new (2 Months Old, Replaced by iQon, after original one failed) Philips CDD 6911 Rewriter, using Microsoft Drivers, Dated 07-01-2001, version 5.1.2535.0, and have also flashed the CDR Firmware to B1.5 from their website. I use the inbuilt XP CD Burning Software. The IDE Channels are set to DMA If Available mode.

When I burn or erase a CDRW, and once the Wizard finishes the process, the computer hangs completely at the drive screen (E:\Not Responding) and in order to release it I have to use the Task Manager, by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL as right clicking the taskbar will not work.

I have tried everything, including Clean Booting, Disabling Auto play, Reducing Write Speeds, Uninstalling and Reinstalling but nothing seems to work. I have also reduced the Low Level Timeouts within Windows from 5000ms to 1000ms.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Have you tried any other burning software? I believe Nero have a free trial version.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

No, that was to be my next option, I just thought this might be a known issue with the XP(Roxio) suite or that others might have encountered it.

I do not really use the burning that much so if it were a problem that may be fixed lets say in the upcoming service pack, I could live with it.

Incidentally, it works prefectly when burning Norton Ghost image CD's

I know next to nothing about XP, but Roxio are crap in my experience. The reason I suggested trying different software is to determine if the problem is a software or a hardware one.

Will download the Nero and give it a try...

EDIT Just burned a track using the Real Player and it worked perfectly and did not hang at all.

The burn and erase functions in the Windows Media Player also works without any problem.

Would this suggest I have a serious problem with the inbuilt XP software and in particular with the Wizard program which I use to "Send" files to the CD Drive for copying. The Wizard closes, and ejects the CD but I cannot close, shutdown or navigate away from "My Computer" or "E:\" once the burn is completed, or a disc has been erased.

I'm using Philips CD-RW 80 1~4x and Memorex CD-RW 1x2x4x Discs

One possibility (amongst many) is that it <subliminal message>roxio are a***holes</subliminal message> is using UDF packet mode to "burn" your CDs. UDF is evil.

I'm slightly drunk so don't take my word on this. If other packages work OK, why not stick with them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Auburn

I also had troubles with that Roxio software, so I switched to using Nero and subsequently had no problems. Incidently, it started working ok for me a couple of weeks later. Damn schizophrenic thing :rolleyes:

If you do end up using a mixture of both, beware that they don't seem to like each other. For example, if you burn something to a CD-RW with Roxio and afterwards add something else to it using Nero, it will complain. It has rendered a lot of my CD-RWs useless, even after formatting them.

Problem Solved!!

I had an extention installed called "HighMat Extention to WXP CD Writing Wizard", though I do not know where I got this or if it was pre installed when I bought the PC, but once removed all is well.

Its a good day for solving problems for me, got my hands on a not yet released patch from Microsoft which also fixed a problem i had from day 1 with my modem:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by mickeyboymel
    Problem Solved!!

I had an extention installed called "HighMat Extention to WXP CD Writing Wizard", though I do not know where I got this or if it was pre installed when I bought the PC, but once removed all is well.
    from windows update, i would imagine.
    it's one of the non-critical updates

Advertisement