Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the future holds for Everton

• 12-05-2004 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Well as a long standing everton fan i am really concerned with what the next couple of seasons holds for us.

What have we to look forward to?

After last seasons promising run. This season was a big crash back to reality.

What can be done? by the board and management etc?

Do we pray for an Abramovic type saviour?

lets discuss

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If Moyes got money and strikers who actually managed 2 games in a row you would be fine challenging for Uefa spot at best.

How many games did all your strikers play this season each?

Did Campbell even play ,ferguson is a nutcase who plays once every 5 ,Radzinski is a good player but plays every 2 games in 5 , Rooney gets banned a lot ,Jeffers is a muppet.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Not looking good alright for you Evertonians probably another struggle next season

Probably best to flog Rooney while his stock is high and use the money to build a new side.

Duncan Ferguson..... never understood why fans like the guy injured more often that Darren Anderton and Jamie Redknapp put together - get rid of his wage bill for a start

At least you have a good manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

totally agree with your points kdjaC.

there is no money though for moyes. maybe 4 to 5 million at most id reckon. not much he can do with that im afraid.

We need a creative central midfield player and a striker. I always though Leon Osmond as ta midfielder and chadwick would be two good players to bring out of the youth ranks but it hasnt happened in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I disagree.

Everton have the worst away record in the premiership, along with wolves.
    One or 2 players wont address the deeper problems at everton.

Age and quality. Too much in one catagory, and not enough in the other.

I think that i they could get 20 mill for Rooney and invest it in 4 or 5 quality players. Everton could get back to challanging for Europe.
    I'm not convinced if Moyes is the man to spend that money, and bring in the new players tho.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Not a hope of 20 million for Rooney!
    I do think he should be sold though. The money from his sale might be the difference in Everton finishing mid-table or scrapping for survival

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

i dont think selling rooney will solve our problems...

getting rooney established and finding him a good partner is the key for our goal scoring problems... I think Chadwick should be given the chance with rooney... he's the type of player than rooney needs along side him... big, strong, physical forward with good ability... he has to be utilised next season or we stand the chance of losing him..

ferguson and campbell have to go... getting payed 30,000 - 40,000 per week and doing fook all... they have been good servants to the club but its time they moved on for the younger players to get established and get a good team together... the bones are there.. we just need the meat...

seeing unsworth consider leaving is sad as he is a great evertonian but hes at the age now where his wages are tied up, not allowing younger players to be bought or paid decent money... there are quite a few old players that need culling... weir, unsworth, gerrard, campbell, ferguson etc...

we need another good centre back to play along with yobo.. someone mid career with experience.. stubbs would be good cover.. we have hibbert who is a great right back... he's gonna be huge and is tipped for an england position in the next few years... left back is ok.. pistone or naysmith will do..

midfield.. we need a right winger... carsley or mcfadden or watson play there, who do ok, but they are not wingers and its our "whos gonna play there this week" position...

gravesen is good as long as he has a good partner in the middle... he seems to play well with linderoth.. but linderoth isnt that creative but hes a good solid player... i think we need a steve gerrad type player in there... kilbando on the left is doing very well... he's been one of the best players this season surprisingly...

rooney and chadwick up front... needs to be a big review here.... we have michael symes and carlo pascucci who both look good who need first team football next season to see how the fair up...

id reckon we need about 8 million this summer to get a few good players... centre back and midfield in particular should be concentrated on... sean davis last summer would have been a great signing... someone along those lines would be perfect...

definitely this season it has been our away form that has had us were we are... goodison is a fortress.. i use that word loosely... away we aren't good at all.. this has to be sorted... i also think that too many draws and losing points in the last 10 minutes of games are were moyes will have to concentrate tactics wise....

first things first though.. rooney should stay..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Someone missing from that midfield?
    Last season they had the four savages ,Carsley gravesen 2 others has one not played this season?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Everton will do well to finish 15th for the next few seasons on the basis of what they have so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

rooney has to stay, £20m would not make up for his loss
    and i don't think it would help everton's fortunes.
    Rooney's critics here don't take into consideration that he's still only 18.
    He really is and will be a different class to most prem strikers.
    moyes wants to build a team with him in it.
    won't be easy though if he's lookin for bargains and free-transfers.
    did well with martyn, kilbane and mcfadden this season though.

the truth is everton got off lightly this season cause the 3 relegated teams were so awful. 39 points going into the last game of the season is the death knell any other season.

We're lucky to have Moyes and Rooney but i haven't got high expectations for the year ahead. We badly need some transfer window luck this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Toguh call on the rooney front for me, if everton sell rooney they could build their squad into a top 8 squad over the next season. I reckon Moyes over achieved in his first season, he is a great manager...one of the best in the league. There are alot of good strikers on the move this summer..Think Everton could get one of the better ones...They could buy into the central midfield and strengthen the right side. I think Mcfadden should get a long run of games, try to settle the midfield a bit. Another Centre half....theres few quality proven centre backs that will move this summer but I'm sure moyes could find one somewhere. If they hold onto rooney, the run the risk that he doesnt prove to be a 25 million pound striker. I think if they are offered that kind of money for him they should take it. For me nything over 15/18 mil they should take....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

...but that money may not buy quality back in.
    his market value is the same as everton's debt.
    so how much would be put into the transfer kitty?

Advertisement