Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove Startup Lines in Windows 2000

Options
  • 12-05-2004 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi lads,

I am running Windows 2000 professional.
    I have too much unclicked boxes in the startup of MSCONFIG ( start-> run-> msconfig). I want remove all those lines of un-checked startup lines. Could any of you point to any editor which does this please.........

Too many unchecked boxes with startup lines in them.....
    many thanks,
    cheers,
    RHN
    :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭redhat_newbie

Its like this in the attached file

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

TweakUI will do it for you IIRC.

If you feel comfortable with registry editing, the "Location" bit is where it's stored in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - it'll be slightly different though, under msconfig\disabled or something.

Your best bet is to take the "command" bit from one of the disabled items (nwiz.exe /install for example) and do a search for it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    Then you'll find where they're stored.

You can just delete the entries.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Your answer is in the picture. Open regedit (start-run-regedit)

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run

Delete what you don't need.

A careful soul would probably export the settnigs to a file first by clicking on Registry and Export Registry File with the relevant bits selected before deleting anything. I'm not a careful soul so I probably wouldn't bother.

Here's where it's traditional to mention that screwing around with the registry can do bad things if you don't know what you're doing.

edit: As seamus said, it'll probably have been moved (I forgot that) so a string search using F3 might be useful. Or you could just re-enable the entries, they'll then be in the location I mentioned above and dump them then. I'd do this to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭redhat_newbie

But the thing is I deleted all the unchecked options in the register (regedit).
    But still they appear in the startup list as unchecked boxes.

I searched in tweakUI , but I couldn't find any tabs to delete them.

thanks for your concern and suggestion lads,

cheers,
    RHN
    :D

Advertisement