Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike Test No No's?

Options
  • 12-05-2004 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

At last i have a date for my bike test!!!

going to get some training beforehand of course but can anyone tell me what i shouldn't do?

also is it true that the test centre in churchtown is running some new type of pilot test for cars and bikes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by giftgrub
    going to get some training beforehand of course but can anyone tell me what i shouldn't do?
    Don't move all over the road. Keep your position, unless it's to avoid something like a gigantic pothole.
    Don't forget your mirrors. That's how I failed mine. Forgot to check it when moving off to do the walking speed bit, and bam, failed.
    Don't creep up the road. Although when you're waiting to turn right, you may stay on the bike and slowly roll while they pass, you could find yourself stuck. Drive up to the correct position, stop, and put your foot down while you wait. Save you hassle in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

When you're at a standstill don't put your right (brake) foot down, put your other foot down. Look behind you from time to time when turning right and the likes, the tester may not be able to see if you're using your mirrors or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I was just going to mention the correct foot to put down.. but Stephen got there before me.

All you really need to do is keep your position in the centre of your lane when driving and constantly look over your shoulders when pulling off or changing road position. If youre going right, you'll have whiplash in your neck from all the looking around by the time youre finished.

Is that new pilot test anything to do with knowing how to change a tyre, check the oil/water/brake fluid etc? I heard it was coming in, it may be in already. Not sure. Good luck with the test gg.

Originally posted by rymus
    I was just going to mention the correct foot to put down.. but Stephen got there before me.
    Allegedly this isn't massively important except on hills, but it makes a good impression (and is common sense) so it's probably a good idea. Allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

The reason for it is: right foot covers the rear brake. The bike is not in gear at standstill. Then when you can move off, you shuffle feet (right down, left up, change gear, left down, right up). Move off covering rear brake in case you have to stop suddenly. Rear brake only is regarded as safer at low speeds, prevents nose diving and you're less likely to skid.
    This is what is taught to police riders and advanced riders.

As already mentioned, do your lifesavers (over the shoulder check). Each time you're changing position on the road.

And most importantly, keep the bike rubber side down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by seamus
    Allegedly this isn't massively important except on hills, but it makes a good impression (and is common sense) so it's probably a good idea. Allegedly.

I was led to believe by the guy that gave me a pre-test lesson that it was a matter of passing or failing your test if you used the wrong foot. Maybe this isn't the case...

(course, the same guy said I'd definately fail my test and I passed no problems so pinch of salt rules apply)

Originally posted by rymus
    I was led to believe by the guy that gave me a pre-test lesson that it was a matter of passing or failing your test if you used the wrong foot. Maybe this isn't the case...

(course, the same guy said I'd definately fail my test and I passed no problems so pinch of salt rules apply)
    Heh. I expressly asked the ISM guy about it, and he said that although it was something that they teach and recommend to do, it's not a failure thing.
    We all know though that each instructor gives different advice.

Tis mad Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'd recomend a Pre-Test lesson. The driving style expected from the examiner is so stylised that it's best seen. I got a 2 hour lesson for about 70euro, and without it I wouln't have been prepared for the test.

Basically holding road position, indicating much much earlier than normal, doing a 'lifesaver' every time you change position....

The instructor warned me about swinging too far out doing left turns, as soon as he mentioned it I was all over the road for the next 15 minutes!

Also the instructor will bring you round the normal routes, which I again found helpful.

pH

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

did my test last month, to be honest it's a bit of a joke, you follow a test route, predesignated by the tester and you never really get out onto real roads and situations you normally drive in.

the new system being tested involves headsets so the tester can call the route as you drive like in a car rather than the stop=strat way it is now.

look behind lots, thats where i fell down mostly

Advertisement