Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Terrestrial Channels Pass on Prem Matches!

• 12-05-2004 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

As you prolly know the EU has sought to bring some diversity of channels to football rights as seen with CL.
    Anyway there was a package of Prem matches up for grabs from SKY and NONE of the UK 4 was willing to bid enough to secure the rights. SKY have the whole bally lot for the next 3 years. :(

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

at least there will be some games on RTÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Crappy! :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Your sure Mossy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yeah, RTE definitely got some deal off the Premier League to show a certain amount of matches from next season I think. I can't remember the full details.

It's the first time the Premier League has seen the Irish market as seperate to the UK one, and sold live rights to an Irish broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Setanta and RTÉ got a joint deal with the Premier League for 30 games, kicking off at 3pm Saturdays. 15 will be shown by RTÉ, the other 15 by Setanta on PPV when RTÉ dont have rugby or other live sport showing.

Whats most concerning for me, is that the UK radio rights have not been settled, and its 4 days until the end of the season. We don't know if Five Live will be broadcasting any games next season. :(

• Advertisement

Originally posted by DMC
    Setanta and RTÉ got a joint deal with the Premier League for 30 games, kicking off at 3pm Saturdays. 15 will be shown by RTÉ, the other 15 by Setanta on PPV when RTÉ dont have rugby or other live sport showing.

Whats most concerning for me, is that the UK radio rights have not been settled, and its 4 days until the end of the season. We don't know if Five Live will be broadcasting any games next season. :(

Great news except for the last bit which is a worry. I live for 5 Live match commentry, well...

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    I live for 5 Live match commentry, well...

Does your life go all fuzzy at the most important parts too?
    :D

Originally posted by seansouth
    Does your life go all fuzzy at the most important parts too?
    :D

:D thank christ for 5 live on the FM band. its about all NTL are good for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I just listen on Today FM!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Dissapointing news about the UK Terrestrials, I was looking forward to them having having getting that package, even if BBC & ITV were to share the rights to them (Just like they do with the international euro/world cup matches).

• Advertisement

Originally posted by |.Murderer.|
    I just listen on Today FM!

They only have one match on Saturday though, 5 Live have at least 4-5 a week. Often more.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

5 Live is the perfect sound for the Norwegian channel ,live game and audio from all other games.

Also ever listen to the phone in after ,all the pissed off fans going home ,some classic calls there.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I'm glad RTE have the rights for the next 3 seasons. I dont think i have ever watched a Premiership football match at 3pm. why doesnt sky show any matches at 3pm?? But thats poor from ITV and BBC, they should of even put a join bid together just to get Premiership matches on terrestrial tv again. Now sky are going to be showing 88 live matches and 50 on PPV, plus Champions League, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Scottish Cup, England, Rep. of Ireland, Wales, internationals matches.

Thats alot of football!!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Whats the five live frequency? Can u get it in your car say in Ireland?

Only on AM/MW in normal radios.

909/990/693 on that band.

Its also available via SkyDigital and NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

MW is too fuzzy in my house. I can get it very clear on FM 95.10. I'd actually love someone to try that out and let me know if you get it in, not a lot of people can get it on FM. I can also get BBC Radio 1 on FM 99.7. :)

you serious eirebhoy? where do you live ( if you don'y mind me asking? ).

I like Radio1, and wouldn't mind listening.

Aye, I'm living in D2.

City centre?...I live D5 and don't seem to be able to get it...do you have some kind of super aerial?

if you have NTL or Sky you can receive all the BBC radio channels perfectly, maybe not always perfect with NTL but listenable in any case

• Advertisement

Hook up your hi-fi to the NTL inlet and tune in!

RTE Radio 1 89.4
    2FM 91.7
    RnaG 93.9
    Lyric FM 97.5
    98FM 99
    FM104 104.6
    Today FM 100.6
    BBC Radio 1 99.7
    BBC Radio 2 90.1
    BBC Radio 3 92.3
    BBC Radio 4 96.35
    BBC Radio 5 LIVE 95.1
    BBC World Service 97.1
    Classic FM 101.9
    BBC Radio Ulster 94.5
    Radio Deutsche Welle 101.1
    World Radio Network 102.7

Originally posted by seansouth
    City centre?...I live D5 and don't seem to be able to get it...do you have some kind of super aerial?
    its actually just a normal wire hi-fi aerial. I can't hook it up to an NTL inlet because I don't have one*.

* I don't pay cable charges.

signal bleed then i'd say, you're getting it from someone elses connection

enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Originally posted by Dewey
    why doesnt sky show any matches at 3pm??

The FA wont allow any games to be shown a 3pm as it could affect football attendances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by Dewey
    I'm glad RTE have the rights for the next 3 seasons. I dont think i have ever watched a Premiership football match at 3pm. why doesnt sky show any matches at 3pm?? But thats poor from ITV and BBC, they should of even put a join bid together just to get Premiership matches on terrestrial tv again. Now sky are going to be showing 88 live matches and 50 on PPV, plus Champions League, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Scottish Cup, England, Rep. of Ireland, Wales, internationals matches.

Thats alot of football!!

And Northern Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

I am glad that RTE will show some Premiership matches its about time too.
    Pity the uk channels didnt take the offer that would certainly put ratings up if they got games like Arsenal vs Man Utd.

Originally posted by phenom
    Arsenal vs Man Utd.

i'd be surprised if RTÉ even showed matches like that

they will all be on Sky Sports on Super Sunday or some other time when Sky can show games. rare enough do games like that get shown at 3pm on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

only when there are a number of big games in a weekend might rte get one

ie the arsenal - spurs and liverpool - united were shown on the same weekend, sky chose the spurs game and thus the liverpool - united game was on at 3 pm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

RTE have a better chance of showing the big clubs on SAturday than you would think. Especially during the CL when the big teams will need to play Saturday to ensure enough time for rest to their tues/wed CL game. None of the big clubs played on SUn/Mon when they had a CL game mid-week

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

A lot of Uniteds Saturday games have been lunchtime kick offs as are most big Saturday games- is the deal solely for 3.00 kick offs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Aye wont be Arsneal v ManU and the sort, it'll be ManU v Villa or Bolton v Southampton. The dodgy Norweign channel has had em for ages..botu tim RTE sorted something out....

Originally posted by kida
    is the deal solely for 3.00 kick offs.

yes which works well for those with Sky Sports

Originally posted by johnor
    ..botu tim RTE sorted something out....
    In fairness to RTE, it was never their fault. It's the first time in ages the Premier League has viewed the Irish market as distinctly seperate from the British one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

there were many high profile games that kicked off at 3 pm this year

arsenal - spurs

arsenal - chelsea

united - liverpool

liverpool - everton

to name a few, can't wait til next season

But Sky Sports will be showing 88 live games next season (was 66) and Prem Plus are showing 50 (was 40). And they have first choice. The games at 3pm Saturday will be leftovers. So expect loads of Charlton and Middlesborough on RTÉ next season. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

all in all its 15 extra games live on a saturday that we didnt have this season, its great

Advertisement