Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backing up

Options
  • 12-05-2004 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Ok i have just spent 2 days installing and setting up my new computer (winxp pro). Its taken that long to install all the programs, email, drivers, fonts and adjust the settings. I would rather not have to do that again anytime soon. There is no data on it yet.

What is the best way to back up the drive(Maybe stick it all on a DVD or external), windows and the settings as it currently is. If anything goes wrong it will clear everything and reinstall in one lump the computer as it is so its all shiny and new again.

I noticed on Norton system works 'go back'. will this do the job? Anything better?

Is this 'Ghosting'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Yes you can use ghost, or there's loads of
    other packages that do the same thing such
    as Trueimage.

You're going to need some form of storage for
    it though. whether it be external disk/DVD etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

There is an open-source clone of ghost that runs from a linux boot-disk. I can't for the life remember the name of it, but it can burn to CD / DVD provided drivers are available for your device. Perhaps someone less inebriated can find you linkage.

Ghost (or this clone) are exactly what you are looking for. They take a snapshot of your partition (make sure you defrag before you do use them, and empty temp directories and maybe "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5" or equivalent also) and can be restored to a pristine state in minutes.

Advertisement