Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ruud puts rumours to rest

• 12-05-2004 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Link

Pretty Conclusive to me.
    So Ruud, how devoted to Manchester United are you?

"I really am hungry for success at this club. But I do admit it takes a lot out of me. The real big stars only keep this up for about seven years. That's what I am aiming for, too. I give everything for United.

"Every day I work my guts out in training, every match I play my heart out. My back to the goal, physically fighting off defenders, trying to bang my goals in, every week I have to do the business for this club. That's the life of a striker...

"The pace of my life is incredible. I don't even have time to think and look forward to the European Championships this summer. It is all about Manchester United. When you play for this club you have Manchester United on your brain 24 hours a day."

How different is United to any other club?

"I am part of an institution, that is how it feels. An institution of such enormous size, with such incredible popularity. But Manchester United, I have discovered, is also an institute which is hated at the same time in a way that cannot be described by anybody.

"The emotions which erupt within and around this club, cannot be perceived by people and friends in my own country. Big matches, big decisions, big consequenses. I go from one extreme to another here. As a player, at times, it makes me numb. Certain things do not effect me anymore, which is not always good. There is always commotion, but I notice that hardly anything affects me or puts me out of balance."

Do you read the papers?

"I still read papers and I still watch telly, but I don't get wound up about what is written and said about me anymore. I let people say and write what they want.

"Because of that I don't care when I read in the newspaper that I am colourblind. I went through a red light in my car and I stopped when I before a green light. So I must be really colourblind, eh? I am having a really big row with Alex Ferguson. And I am going to Real Madrid after this season. All total rubbish!

"Because people have read those things in the newspapers, they think it is true. Ten years ago all these things I have just mentioned would have upset me. Not anymore. I don't care, because all of it is not true.

"Privately I have put a shield up. Nothing can upset me that happens in football. In fact, I have to admit that since coming to Manchester United I have started to live two lives. I have to do that, if I want to survive here. As a private person I think I am now totally different from Ruud van Nistelrooy the footballer.

"The footballer lives in a world full of extremities. Ruud, the person, lives a nice, calm life at home. I read a bit, I relax with my girlfriend and I do the ordinary things."

What about Holland? Have you answered the critics there?

"I think I made my mark in that play-off game. I really don't mean that in an arrogant way. I am only pointing out that in a tactical way, they should use my qualities as a striker. It was the first time the team really played for me against Scotland and look what happened. In that game I exploded emotionally and technically.

"In that match for Holland I asked for a big responsibility, I got it and I dealt with it. I played well, I scored goals and the team qualified for the Euro 2004 finals. It was a big night and an important moment for Holland."

Things aren't going quite so well for Man United...

"When we got knocked out against Porto in the Champions League, I only slept two hours that night. I was not a nice person to be with after that match. I was struggling to get the result out of my system. People say it is part of the game. You win some, you lose some. But not for me. Losing is not in my vocabulary.

"Nobody understands how much I gear myself up for these big matches. I charge up and I get fired up as if I have to let a timebomb go off. When the end result goes the other way, I am stuck with all the energy and agression. Things get too much for me then."

"When it comes to losing with United, I feel solely responsible for it. I can't help it. My brain will work like mad after a defeat. I want to know where I have made the wrong decisions, how I could have changed things for this fantastic club. I have a storm in my head, the noise is deafening inside. The analysing goes on right through the night. Until it wears me out.

"Of course I have the odd bad game like other players. But I can't accept that. Especially when things don't go right for United. It all means so much to me to be succesful here. It drives me crazy at times."

Have you tried playing in a different style?

"If I don't get the service or if I don't the ball in the box, where I want it, I start drifting into midfield. I go and look for the ball. I try to be important for the team in other areas. But really, I can only be dangerous for the team in one place, and that is in the box.

"I used to laugh at Romario at my old club PSV Eindhoven. Romario simply refused to work for the team. The only thing he would do is run around in the 18-yard box. That was his territory. That was, he claimed, where he had to do the business. People would only judge him on what he produced and did in that box.

"He did not think he would get praise and recognition for chasing defenders on his own half. And in a way, I can see what he means. The man was right. But immediately I say that I cannot be like that. I cannot be so selfish as Romario. I really want be of great value for the team.

"I talk about these things with Pierre van Hooijdonk. He is my mate and understands exactly what I am talking about. We are both goalscorers, mad strikers. In a way I think we, as strikers, are just as daft as goalkeepers.

"We too are very vulnerable. It is easy to point the finger. If a goalkeeper misses a ball, he is an idiot. If you miss a chance as a striker, you are an even bigger idiot. Don't get me wrong, that is our own judgement! Most of the pressure comes from myself, not from others. I don't need a manager or a pundit to put pressure on me. I do all that myself before others do it."

Are you settled in England?

"We really love it here. I think we have really integrated well around Manchester. This is the place where we feel at home. We like it here, we love the English way of life and we prefer it much, much more than the south of Europe. Italy and Spain really are not my countries.

"In Spain and Italy I would not have a life among the fans. Everyone wants to touch you, own you and approach you. I try to be as kind as possible to all my fans, but in those countries I could not do it. There they ask too much from you. They would want to be, literally, on top of you all day.

"The country life near Manchester I really love. No, I am not shy to go into town or to mix with people. But I like peace. Life here, where I live now, is so much similar to Brabant, the county in Holland where I come from. I am never homesick, that says enough."

So you're not a fan of a glamorous lifestyle?

"Recently we went with the team to Dubai. We were, as usual, put in a 5 star hotel. But that was not enough. There was a hotel in the city with two more stars! It's the hotel with the high point, built in the shape of a ship. The luxury there was unbelievable. I was really glad to get away from there. And I sincerely hope that the lads, who were with me on that trip, had the same feeling. If you start to find that kind of luxury as a normal thing, you don't belong in the real world.

"That kind of wealth made me sick. Everyone is entitled to be rich and to earn a lot of money. But you have to know what is normal and what is not.

"I feel very strong as an individual, but as a famous footballer I know I am prone to certain things. All the media have a continuous interest for me. It varies from once a year to every day interest. People are shocked when they meet me in real life.

"It's like what happened when I was out with my mates one night in Manchester. A few thugs came up to us and one of them lashed out to my mate. He was hit in the face. I went berserk. When I came forward and confronted them, they were shocked and they did not know what to do. I found their actions very sad."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Yes very conclusive!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Very conclusive indeed.

At least this will bring a bit of stability to the situation. I think prospective United signings will be a lot more likely to come to the club if this is the kind of impression they get from players like VanNistelrooy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Read between the lines lads. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Between the lines: "all is well, I'm not a trouble-maker, come buy me quick!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Kida, Ruud could sign lifetime allegence to United in his blood swearing on the life of his first born and that wouldn't stop the rumours this summer. Especially if he has a good Euro 2004.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Dunno why madrid would come in for him, for me Moirentes, Raul and Ronaldo would all be as good if not better in the case of Ronaldo, than VanNistelrooy...If Ronaldo is on his way, they still have two top quality strikers who love playing together...I think real's focus will be on buying a Viera/Makaele type player...Think Xabi Alonso was linked, dunno if it will happen or not tho...All is not well with Ruud tho, he aint been scoring and if he plays decent in summer he could be away from manu for long enough to decide hes had enough. Then again he could come back play out his career and finish with a season at PSV. Dont you love the summer merry-go-round of rumours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

If I was president of Real Madrid, I'd buy Sami Hyypia for £50 million, keep everyone else and watch the trophies pile up!

Where exactly would these trophies be piling up? I reckon real are gonna buy Samuel anyhow....Dunno how much more they could afford unless they sell Beckham/Ronaldo.....Transfer merry-go-round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by The Rooster
    If I was president of Real Madrid, I'd buy Sami Hyypia for £50 million, keep everyone else and watch the trophies pile up!

You made me laugh tea up through my nose Rooster! :D

Johnr, "I think real's focus will be on buying a Viera/Makaele type player." - Can't believe they sold Makaele last summer, he could have brought them so much more stability and 'bite'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

Originally posted by johnor
    Dunno why madrid would come in for him, for me Moirentes, Raul and Ronaldo would all be as good if not better in the case of Ronaldo, than VanNistelrooy...If Ronaldo is on his way, they still have two top quality strikers who love playing together...I think real's focus will be on buying a Viera/Makaele type player...Think Xabi Alonso was linked, dunno if it will happen or not tho...All is not well with Ruud tho, he aint been scoring and if he plays decent in summer he could be away from manu for long enough to decide hes had enough. Then again he could come back play out his career and finish with a season at PSV. Dont you love the summer merry-go-round of rumours...

rauls been pretty poor this season, even when he's had his chances at playing striker again he's not been the greatest

Suprised the sold him, but when he went in a big moan he had to go.....Yea raul is going through his worst spell at the club, I think he is still a big threat and could regain his form especially if he is playing with Moirentes next season....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Rudd's not going anywhere, he at United for Life

Advertisement