Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticked off by the no of off topic personal attacks on politcs board today.

Options
  • 12-05-2004 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭

Hi,

In the scheme of things its small, but i was really ticked off by the way the thread on on the beheading, in politcs degenerated into snide and personal comment, forcing the mods to lock the thread

Its all the more pity because it had the potential to be a very interesting topic.

IMO it's as bad as the soccer board ever got.

Tks

X
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Hear, hear.

While I didnt post in the thread myself, I came very close on several occasions upon reading the shrill, narroow minded replies from some posters who believed they were taking the moral high ground. Shame on them for driving an intelligent discussion into the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Unfortunately this happens in every thread.

Some people can't help but get personal.

I wonder are they like this in real life?

Me thinks not.

Oh the bravery...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I think the forum has been pretty bad of late, i posted before about the ammount of threads that turned into SF bashing, it has died down a bit but still evident.

I stopped posting on the thread in question here because it was becomming poor disgusting. Some people should be banned for what was said in it.

sad very sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Unfortunately this happens in every thread.

Some people can't help but get personal.

I wonder are they like this in real life?

Me thinks not.

Oh the bravery...

Didn't you degenerate into personal insults and storm off on a discussions you where having with me on gay rights? Just saying...

Originally posted by Boston
    Didn't you degenerate into personal insults and storm off on a discussions you where having with me on gay rights? Just saying...

Eh? If I did, it would only have been in response to a personal insult from you.

I do not make personal insults here.

Just saying... :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Eh? If I did, it would only have been in response to a personal insult from you.

I do not make personal insults here.

Just saying... :)

Doubtfull, I wouldn't waste personal insults on someone iwth less then afew thousand posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Doubtfull, I wouldn't waste personal insults on someone iwth less then afew thousand posts.
    Funny, I thought wasteful posts were all you made... :p

Really? :)

I've read a lot of your posts, and insulting seems to be your past-time...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

oopps

I think we'll have to re name the forum again

to Bitching / Suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

It's deja vu ... all over again!

X

• Advertisement

Originally posted by seamus
    Funny, I thought wasteful posts were all you made... :p

Its stingssss

Johnny Versace, I doubt you have read alot of my posts, since I've read maybe five of yours and I hardy ever post on after hours. As for that past time... only with people I like.

Its stingssss

Johnny Versace, I doubt you have read alot of my posts, since I've read maybe five of yours and I hardy ever post on after hours. As for that past time... only with people I like.

No worries :)

I do read most of the forums though, but keep my posts to a limited few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I got two reported post notifications regarding that thread, one which objected to the link to the website that hosted the video, and the second one which reported some of the ad hominem attacks that the thread spawned. Reading through the thread it just degenerated further and further into flames and personal attacks. I know the subject matter was contentious but that was no excuse for some people there. If a poster does not feel that he/she can post without making such attacks, then that poster simply should not post in that thread. If more people had used the 'report' button, then the lock might have been avoided.

I especially found the inference that people who watched the video were sadistic perverts objectionable. I did eventually edit the link to the video, but only because I didn't want children stumbling onto the link. I'm sure most people are capable of using google anyway if they want to see it. It's mirrored all over the web. I didn't watch the clip personally (it's very NWS and I'm in work ATM) but I might see it later to see what all the fuss is about.

Anyway, if people have missed it, there is an article about the story here. Apologies for posting it here, but I don't believe it would be appropriate to reopen the politics thread to append this information.

Advertisement