Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum Wage?

• 12-05-2004 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Correct me if I'm wrong but the minimum wage for an Irish person over 18 is 7 euro an hour? Yes? Hmmm....well....started a job yesterday, just in a shop for the summer. Presumed I'd be getting at least 7 euro but was told today that it's 6 euro an hour (because "we decided on 6 euro an hour as there aren't many jobs in the village and most people have to go get a bus to work so it works out the same").....Hmmmm well last time I checked the bus wasn't THAT expensive! I'm 22 and around the same age as the other girls in the shop yet they don't seem to be too bothered by the pay....I'm sorry but I'm living away from home and I was hoping to save up some money for college over the summer and that euro extra an hour would come in handy!

Anyway rant over but is there anything I can do without getting on the wrong side of the boss (who is lovely it has to be said....just a cheapskate obvioulsy) or getting fired? Don't really want to be having a go on my first week there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Yes it is €7! Go to your boss and say this! If they refuse, sue them. If they fire you, they dont have a leg to stand on! Actually they dont have a leg to stand on as it is!! Ask politely first for you €7, if refused demand, if still refused, a simple solicitors letter will suffice to get you your money!!

No a guy who worked for under minimum wage for nearly a year, they went and complained, they had to back pay him for the year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'm 18 and was still on €5.71 an hour in McDonald's when i left. And ususally waiting between 5 and 5 1/2 hours for a break. Beat that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

€7 is the minimum wage for skilled workers afaik;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Anyway I can report her without giving my name? Chicken shi.t that I am lol

Ah maybe I should just shut up and work there 'til I find something else. Damnit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

its because she's banking on you staying quet that is why she is taking advantage.. i'd say it to her.. be nice about it but firm.. and only speak on behalf of yourself clarebear.. if the others have no problem with it then thats there problem..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

i think you have to be there a year or something to qualify for the EUR7 an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

afaik. yes you can report him/her without giving your information. but if they suddenly get a call from the revenue or whoever enforces this (actually thinking about it id imagine its dept of enterprise, trade, and employment) during your first week then they'l know its you.

as was said above, why not suss it out now, but dont actually report them till your about to leave, and ask for your €1 per hour backpaid.

even if you leave, shop them anyway. you will be helping the people still working there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by ClareBear
    Anyway I can report her without giving my name? Chicken shi.t that I am lol

Ah maybe I should just shut up and work there 'til I find something else. Damnit!

No, don't let her get away with it! You can contact the Department of Trade and Enterprise and report her to them. Find contact numbers here: http://www.entemp.ie/

Neev - Weird that McDonald's are paying below min. wage...unless they didn't review your salary when you turned 18?

fairly certain your wrong there skud.

victor is usually the man to ask about these kinda matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If your employer classes the work you are doing as training, then they can pay you less than minimum wage.

• Advertisement

Looks like you might only be entitled to 5.60 per hour!

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html?search=minimum+wage

"Employees who are under 18 are only guaranteed up to 70% of the national minimum wage. Read more about the protection of young people in employment here.

Employees who reach 18 have their national minimum wage entitlement phased in. So in the first year after reaching 18 the employee is guaranteed 80% and in the second year, 90%. This also applies to employees who are over 18 and enter employment for the first time."

Originally posted by Rabies
    If your employer classes the work you are doing as training, then they can pay you less than minimum wage.

Feck that! There's 14 year olds on better pay than I'm getting there.....I've plenty of experience too. Ah feck it, I'll just get another job. It would have been ideal but I can't afford to let that one euro an hour go. I sound like such a cheapskate but it's true.

Feck that! There's 14 year olds on better pay than I'm getting there.....I've plenty of experience too. Ah feck it, I'll just get another job. It would have been ideal but I can't afford to let that one euro an hour go. I sound like such a cheapskate but it's true.

You're not being a cheapskate, it could be an extra thirty quid a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Originally posted by tman
    €7 is the minimum wage for skilled workers afaik;)

I dont think its skilled... Its something to do with the training you get off the Employer. If they dont train you i dont think they have to pay Minimum wage.

In dunnes, for example, Starting off you get 7.42 an hour. But have 4 hours "training" which is paid:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

how many hours are you working?
    wanting an extra €40 a week is barely being a cheapskate

A friend of mine has just started working in a supermarket for the summer. No previous experience and she's getting almost 8 euro an hour and much better hours too.

Also where I work, it's cash in hand and she didn't want any documents from me or anything. Damnit....time to start all over again I guess.

you could always say it to the employer (in a non confrontational way)that you will be leaving as that you presumed the job would pay the minimum wage, and you can afford to work for less than that.

theres always hope that she will pay it, it all depends on whether theres a queue of people in the area who would take the job.

AFAIK you dont have to be over 18 to get it......

Originally posted by Axel
    AFAIK you dont have to be over 18 to get it......

You *do* have to be over 18, I quoted from the fscking legislation on minimum wage above! :-/

ClareBare - report that woman, she's a bloody chancer! Paying below min wage (I presume some of the other workers are older than you/have been there over a year and are on below min wage too?) AND paying cash in hand! She would get into serious trouble with the tax man.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You're all lazy :) Here's a link to the government site explaining it all.

Here's the exemptions to paying the national wage:
    Employees who are under 18 are only guaranteed up to 70% of the national minimum wage. Read more about the protection of young people in employment here.

Employees who reach 18 have their national minimum wage entitlement phased in. So in the first year after reaching 18 the employee is guaranteed 80% and in the second year, 90%. This also applies to employees who are over 18 and enter employment for the first time.

Certain employees who are over 18 and undergoing a course of training / study authorised by the employer are only guaranteed a reduced national minimum wage at the following rates:

How can I enforce my rights if I do not receive the national minimum wage?

You may request an inspector from the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment to investigate a claim that the national minimum wage is not being paid.

You may also refer a dispute to a Rights Commissioner. However this may only be done where you have requested from the employer a statement outlining the calculation of the average hourly pay. The case must be referred with 6 months (which may be extended to a maximum of 12 months by the Rights Commissioner) of the supplying of the statement. [/b]

.. Seems like you're entitled to more!

• Advertisement

I only just turned 18. And was working for 7 months getting over minumum wage, despite being 17.......

Originally posted by ixoy
    You're all lazy :)
    .. Seems like you're entitled to more!

Erm, I already pasted in this information on the previous page. She's *actually* entitled to LESS than 6 euro, if you read what you pasted in:
    "Employees who reach 18 have their national minimum wage entitlement phased in. So in the first year after reaching 18 the employee is guaranteed 80%"

Originally posted by Axel
    I only just turned 18. And was working for 7 months getting over minumum wage, despite being 17.......

That makes absolutely no difference. Employers can legally pay you what they like, so long as they're paying on or above the min. wage requirement, which in your case is 5.60 p/h

It's hard fecking work too....lifting heavy boxes up and down stairs all day....mumble grumble....not that I'm afraid of hard work but it'd be nice if I got paid properly for it...

Anyway new job it is then! Mumble grumble....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Also where I work, it's cash in hand and she didn't want any documents from me or anything. Damnit....time to start all over again I guess.
    Looks like someones trying to stay out of the revenue commissioners books as much as possible... report her

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by eth0_
    Erm, I already pasted in this information on the previous page. She's *actually* entitled to LESS than 6 euro, if you read what you pasted in:
    "Employees who reach 18 have their national minimum wage entitlement phased in. So in the first year after reaching 18 the employee is guaranteed 80%"
    Yeah I took about half an hour to compose the thing that everyone had posted the relevant bits when I made my "revelatory" post :p

Ah see I saw she was 22 and read that bit as 18 year olds take 80% of their wage. I see that your interpretation makes more sense and is corrector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Originally posted by eth0_
    Neev - Weird that McDonald's are paying below min. wage...unless they didn't review your salary when you turned 18?

I asked was I eligible for a pay rise but didn't get it. There was people there that had been working there a year and were only on €5.08.

Originally posted by neev
    I asked was I eligible for a pay rise but didn't get it. There was people there that had been working there a year and were only on €5.08.

You'd think a company as big as McDonalds would play everything by the book!
    That said, their restaurant in Blanchardstown seems to be staffed almost entirely by 12 year olds....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just ask nicely at first, and if she gets snotty, drop hints about revenue commisioners. If she fires you/refuses you the pay raise, report her. That's not being snotty. It's standing up for yourself.

Keep looking out for a job either way, you never know when something better's on offer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

ClareBear: name and shame the business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Clarebear: Do something about it or stop ****ing moaning on an internet message board.

John

Advertisement