Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amensty International Report

Options
  • 12-05-2004 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

I think at this stage we have heard the report on the "Alleged" abuse by British Soliders of Iraq Civilians i.e. Unlawful killings.

Now we hear all the information apparently from Iraqi Witness's that say the Soliders in mention acted barbarically and without cause.

I as an ex- serviceman think the majority of the information is untrue, I accept that people get killed in Firefights accidentally, but to think a British Solider could square up his SA80 and blow away a Child on purpose is bull on the other side the Americans, well to be honest a large majority of the non- special forces are indeed, untrained, not educated in the way of Arab thinking and generally gung-ho.
    The British Army would be one of the foremost best peacekeeping armies in the world with our own army being in the top.

I have served with men from this army and to be honest apart from one or two lunatics, I think again the British Government is going to end up paying compensation without full investigation and to be honest the chance of the bullet being from a Iraqi or Islamic Dissedent would be more likely.

Your views please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 BarryFry

I think the gist of what Amnesty is saying is that not enough of the alleged killings by British troops have been sufficiently vigourously investigated, and in any case the Royal Military Police are not sufficiently neutral to be entrusted to such an investigative role.

If the British Government want to rebut these claims, then they have to put in place a robust and independent process of scrutiny. If they don't, then the actions of their troops and auxiliaries will continue to receive hostile media attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Wrestlemania

To be honest in my own experience, I would find the Royal Military Police a very good and professional impartial unit and more so than even the best Civilan Police forces around.

Advertisement