Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal Tender

Options
  • 12-05-2004 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I am reluctantly settling a debt and want to express my distaste through a large volume of coins.

The amount is €130. Anyone know what is the maximum legal amount for each coin I can include?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by ballooba
    I am reluctantly settling a debt and want to express my distaste through a large volume of coins.

The amount is €130. Anyone know what is the maximum legal amount for each coin I can include?
    There's no maximum. Each coin is legal tender.

Send them 13,000 1c coins if you wish.

Who are you paying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

Originally posted by seamus
    There's no maximum. Each coin is legal tender.

Send them 13,000 1c coins if you wish.

Who are you paying?

afaik there is a legal limit, over which they dont have to accept. ive no idea what it is though or where ud check it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

AFAIK, only 24 coins of any value can be used in one transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

From googling I got someone claiming that only up to 50 coins have to be accepted in the eurozone.

Whatever the figure is it's probably fair to say that you cannot hand your creditor 13,000 1c coins....

davej

PS: 500 posts woot! :cool:

yep its 50:

Council Regulation (EC) No 974/98 of 3 May 1998 on the introduction of the euro stipulates that within the euro area no party other than the issuing authority and persons specifically named in national legislation is obliged to accept more than 50 coins in any single payment transaction. The regulation does not specify a value.

http://www.bundesbank.de/bargeld/bargeld_faq_euromuenzen.en.php

davej

• Advertisement

Well that sucks. I demand the right to use all my 13,000 1c coins in one transaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just get them changed in a bank. i used work in a shop, there was always 1 or 2 muppets like that, insisting on paying for everything with the massive pile of coppers they found down the back of the sofa.

people in the queue behind said muppet get all pissed off at having to queue while yer man counts out his pennies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Pay them in installments of 50 coins each:D

Originally posted by Stephen
    Just get them changed in a bank. i used work in a shop, there was always 1 or 2 muppets like that,

I think you missed the point, he WANTS to be one of those muppets !

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Originally posted by Stephen
    Just get them changed in a bank.

that's just gonna punish some sucker in the bank.. (Unless the €130 is a bank bill) it isn't gonna make them suffer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

If it's a debt - then you should just pay it.

Why be a spa about it? You owe the money, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

from working in a Bank I have a strong aversion to people bringing in bags of coin

they usually hold up the queue - yes we do have to weigh the coin.

it was particularly bad for the Euro changeover

I will NEVER understand the mentality of throwing coins in a jar and then emptying it a few months later. The amount of people coming into banks with coins is unreal.

surely if you throw all your change into a jar everyday you are constantly breaking notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Strangely enough I went into the bank today with 10 and 20c coins totaling €20 and she didn't even weigh them, just gave me a nice fresh €20 note. To think, there might have only been €19.90 in those bags!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Im sure there'd be no problem if you're paying the debt to a friend. So go for it... finding 13000 1c coins would be hard though! Hope you have a big car!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

One of my mates owed £150 a few years back to some guy. Somehow, unintentionally, he managed to pay him back with 150 £1 coins. It weighed quite a bit and the person was non too happy about it but really needed the money so had to take it. Funny at the time. Anyway if its a person you owe the money to, as opposed to a business, then go the whole hog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Blisterman

There's a machine which will exchange all your change for cash in the centra in ranelagh. it takes a 7% commision, so it's best to pick out the 1 and 2 euro coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,150 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It may please you to note that postage stamps are considered legal tender. A mate told me once, adding that his life long dream is to buy a gaf with a truck load of stamps just for the heck of it. I'm sure receiving a box of stamps will piss off the creditor somewhat!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'm forever stacking loads of coins and bringing them into banks to get exchanged for cash. However, it doesn't take that long though because the coins are all sorted already (yes they weigh them anyway). I generally go when I've about €150-€250 to cash in.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

I will NEVER understand the mentality of throwing coins in a jar and then emptying it a few months later. The amount of people coming into banks with coins is unreal.

Jaysus, if you hate handling money that much get yourself another job - a life in the bank is clearly not for you. Everything you buy in this country seems to land you with a handful of coppers, and I for one couldn't be arsed carrying half a kilo of copper about the place, so in a jar it goes.

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth

surely if you throw all your change into a jar everyday you are constantly breaking notes?
    Of course you're constantly breaking notes. How else do you pay for stuff? You'd be using a rake of 20's 10's and 5's to pay for anything in this country.

Nothing larger than 20c goes in my jar. Very rarely a 50c might worm it's way in there. Normally it gets filled before and after I go out:
    Before - check change in my pocket, take exact change for the bus and strip out the shrapnel (not useful for buying pints). After - Have a shedload of crap change in your pocket from last night, strip out all the small coins, hold back a couple of twenties and throw the rest on thr jar.

I'm not going to spend it, and it'll just sit in my pocket, annoying me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

why are you so hostile? and whats wrong with this "mentality" seems sensible to me and i do it all the time.

and btw how do you go about yout daily business without breaking notes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

from working in a Bank I have a strong aversion to people bringing in bags of coin

Personally, it makes me more conscious of the moeny I am spending, and last time I cashed in my jar, I had €700 in it - enough for a good weekend away that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by herbie747
    If it's a debt - then you should just pay it.

Why be a spa about it? You owe the money, right?

Because some 'wans' are sueing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

For €130?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

Really piss him off and pay with stamps.
    as far as i know they are legal tender

• Registered Users Posts: 24,207 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

A friend of my family used to be a legal secretary for a solicitor in Dublin. When a client's divorce didn't go as well as he expected, the guy wheeled a wheelbarrow full of £1 coins into the lobby and tipped them all over the floor to settle his solicitors bill. At the time, they had to accept it as it was legal tender.

Check out the situation on the stamps. It'd be a great means of revenge. ;o)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Stamps are NOT legal tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Yeah they are David Brent said so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Originally posted by whosurpaddy
    why are you so hostile? and whats wrong with this "mentality" seems sensible to me and i do it all the time.

and btw how do you go about yout daily business without breaking notes?

I'm curious not hostile
    thankfully I don't work in branch banking anymore :D

When I'm paying for something I try and get rid of as much of my coins as possible - only breaking notes when I dont have enough coins

I would imagine that there are plenty people handing over €20s for small purchases, getting coin back in change and this adding to the coin they already have in their pockets which would probably have covered the purchase in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

Oh god, I'm sorry for not thinking of you when I bring my coin into the bank. I apologise for you having to do your job.
    Maybe the queue is held up because bank workers are usually really slow and with chips on their shoulders.

Advertisement