Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DEFIANT question

• 12-05-2004 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Because I'm working on the design of a Starfleet ship with Maya, I'm putting together a list of systems that must be on board, just like all Starfleet vessels. I came up with something I cannot recall what it is for exactly. I've seen it on several occasions with several ships, but don't remember what it is for. I attached two pics of the Defiant and circled the round shapes on the top side of it. I guess it serves some kind of shield or transporter system.Can anyone please confirm this or tell me what it's for ?

Thanks !
    The Admiral

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭The Admiral

Here's the second pic of the Defiant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Escape pods?

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    Escape pods?

I'm pretty sure they're not escape pods. These round "things" also glow, which escape pods don't. Btw, escape pods usually have a diamond shape and are sitting "in" the hull, while these "things" stick out of it and emit a blueish glow.

The Admiral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

RCS thrusters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    RCS thrusters?

No bloody way

Anyway defiants Ep's are triangler so they cant be Ep's.Maybe there storage pods for the engines but why mount them exposed on the hull

• Advertisement

I rendered a close up image of these round, glowing shapes. Hope it helps.

The Admiral

Ya they could be access ports to the implus engines anti matter storage pods or something to do with the engines

anti matter storage pods ? Looks like that makes sense... I even begin remembering something in that way....

Thanks for the suggestion !

The Admiral

Np :)

post up that ship your working on when you finish it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Anti-matter storage pods, exposed on the upper hull? That's a bit crazy.

• Advertisement

Well it wouldn’t be the anti matter pods themselves just the access port to the pods under the armored hull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Im willing to be they are doors to escape pods they open and the escape pods eject.
    If you watch DS9 season 7 episode with the breen attacking chintka system you will see that the escape pods come from that area - i think

Why would they have circular openings for triangle escape pods? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i'll go look it up

edit - the DS9 tech manual was not really any use as it didn't have blueprints and i can't be arsed at the moment to dig out the fact files as i'm wrecked sorry

data

Originally posted by User45701
    Im willing to be they are doors to escape pods they open and the escape pods eject.
    If you watch DS9 season 7 episode with the breen attacking chintka system you will see that the escape pods come from that area - i think

As far as I can remember from the DS9 episode "Valiant" (season 6), the escape pods used when the Valiant is being destroyed by the Dominion ship have nothing to do with these round shapes... As far as I can remember ;)

The Admiral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

hmm odd im almost certan they come from there on the defiant, why would 2 ships of the sam,e class have escape pods on different places...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Buttons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the could be just an ablative armour cover over the escape hatches (i'm blatantly clutching at straws)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

They are tachyon beam emitters.....when used to fire an inverse tacyon pulse they can solve ANY situation encountered.

Originally posted by The Brigadier
    They are tachyon beam emitters.....when used to fire an inverse tacyon pulse they can solve ANY situation encountered.

Every one knows that’s the plot device located on deck 2 pff learn your star trek :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

i'd have said micro torpedo launchers.... if it was an achilles class. Oh well, probably there for visual effects :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm gonna go with Impulse engine exhaust manifolds! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

showers?!

em since evething is so compact in that ship phazers batteries/energy storage for the foward weapon systems?

Originally posted by magick
    showers?!

em since evething is so compact in that ship phazers batteries/energy storage for the foward weapon systems?
    They dont store enegry from what i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Theres no way they are escape pods, don't even know why I thought that.

Exhausts for the warp nacles?

Someone told me it's an EVA access port. Now, what the hell is an EVA access port ??!! :p

The Admiral

I was looking around for other ships having these "round shapes" on the hull. The following ships seemed to have one or two or more:

Enterprise NX-01 (canon)
    USS Excalibur (non-canon)
    All the TMP-times ships like the Enterprise A Refit (canon), the Coeur de Lion (non-canon), all Miranda Class ships (canon), the Excelsior Class ships (canon) and the Oberth Class (canon) seem to have these features somewhere around the neck-region too !
    Since (with the Enterprise A Refit) this shape is located directly above the warp core, I intend to guess that it is related to it someway....

The Admiral

ps: I attached a pic (sorry for the greyish color) of the Reliant and indicated with a red circle what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

Could they be docking ports of some sort for auxiliary vehicles, like mainteance shuttles etc

Just a though

Shin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Originally posted by The Admiral
    Someone told me it's an EVA access port. Now, what the hell is an EVA access port ??!! :p

The Admiral

EVA = Extra Vehicular Activity :) Possible except why so many? No need in emergency situations (as they have escape pods) and we regularly saw the Defiant docked nose first at DS9 so doubt they're used for that.

I still say its to do with the impulse engines. We know from ST6 that they need an exhaust system (hence how the Enterprise was able to track Chang's BOP while cloaked) - I dont think the Warp engines have the same..I think the nacelles can vent directly? (there was a TNG episode where the did just that if I recall right)

• Advertisement

Im holding to its part of the engines ......Does anyone have the DS9 tech manule lieing around ? surely that has info on the definat
    I still say its to do with the impulse engines. We know from ST6 that they need an exhaust system (hence how the Enterprise was able to track Chang's BOP while cloaked) - I dont think the Warp engines have the same..I think the nacelles can vent directly? (there was a TNG episode where the did just that if I recall right)

Thats what the red glowing part of the impulse engine are? no douth the Impusle engines work on the same "shove it out the back real fast" as our rocket engines i mean look at the scimitar front faceing engines there just REALLY advanced ion/rocket engines.And ya the warp nacelles can vent warp plasma but you run the risk of frying the warp coils (bad)

Advertisement