Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ip address on a firewall

• 12-05-2004 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hello,

quick no brainer , when someone has as static ip address from eircom and also has
    a hardware firewall , does the static ip address goes on the wan interface of the firewall ..

also do you have to set up a static route between the router and the firewall .........

cheers

not really my area !!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

The static IP address is what the outside world needs to contact you, so it goes to the point of contact with the outside world - i.e. the firewall in your case. The router & all your PC's etc. can have any IP address you want since they're only going to be used within your own network.

HTH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by cormon
    quick no brainer , when someone has as static ip address from eircom and also has a hardware firewall , does the static ip address goes on the wan interface of the firewall ..

also do you have to set up a static route between the router and the firewall .........
    If you are using the modem that eircom provides, and it is configured as a router, then it will have the static IP address, as it will be the device actually talking to the outside world, and your firewall will be "inside" the network it creates. If your "modem" is configured as a bridge, then the static IP address will belong to whatever device is plugged into the bridge (usually the firewall)

It shouldnt be necessary to define a static route in either case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

I assume you got a static ip address in order to provide a resource ( web ? ) inside your lan.

In this case you WILL have to define a rule to forward a port to an internal PC/Server.

With the GUI based routers there is usually a portforward tab to redirect requests on port 80 (web ) to an internal PC running the website.

Note ensure that the admin of the router is on diff port!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

thanx lads

the static is for my mate who has a shop and wants to telnet into his server , Currently he has the netopia modem with the static and telnets into the server through a pinhole on that . The system currently works fine .

He wants to install a hardware firewall behind the router so that should be easy enough . I thougt initially that he was going to put it in front of the router ..

any suggestions as to a good one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Depends on his budget, really. If money's tight, get hold of an old PC and put Smoothwall on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement