Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice On Buying DVD-Recorders Please...!

Options
  • 12-05-2004 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hey, hope this is the right place to post this...

I'm considering getting a DVD-Recorder, just a standard IDE one. Now, what I'm not too sure about is the formats of the media, i.e. DVD+ and DVD-

I know a little about the differences between the two, but what I'm concerned about is what I've to consider when buying the recorder, not the actual media.

Anyone have any suggestions? Komplett have them for about €110 and they appear to support all types of DVD recordable media (+R, -R, +RW, -RW). Recording speed isn't of too much concern, but any views on that are welcomed too!

So, what does everyone think? Thanks in advance! :)

-S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Cheers Dman_15.

"DVD+" and "DVD-" are too small to run a search for on Boards, plus using the phrases "burner", "recorder" and "writer" just showed up too many results.

I guess posting here seemed the easiest option... (what do you mean, "lazy"? ;))

And away I go...

-S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I've got an NEC ND2500a and, like the people on that other thread Dman_15 linked to, I can heartily recommend it. I've thrown a few different types of media at it, including some pretty crap, cheap stuff that wouldn't work in other drives, and it's written perfectly on all of them. Fast, reliable and cheap, you can't go wrong with one of these babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hcvti

I had a Sony, NEC and a LG 4040B burner and to be honest the LG has been the best of them with the sony a close second, A friend of Mine got a Pioneer in from some croud in the states and it is quiet good also, Got my girlfriends brother a cheap Toshiba 4x -R burner from www.mediawrite.ie and it works grand for the price of it, it likes the Datawrite 4x yellow and that is grand as they are cheap but good. If you want to play the safe option I would go for a dual or tripple format burner, The LG 4040b is my personal choice, covers all 3 formats. Fair Play to LG, their are 8x and 12x burners on the market now but the price of them is equally higher valued.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For EUR 169, I got a Plextor DVDR PX-708A. They're about EUR150 now.
    Komplett.ie linkie
    Plextor linkie
    So far, I've had no problems with it, and I've burnt a few CD's, a few DVD's, and I use the DVD RW on it as well. This great for backing up me stuff :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement