Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bomb in city center?

• 12-05-2004 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Abbey street shutdown about 3.30, bomb squad searching the place ,for an hour beforehand onlookers stood and wondered what was up as gardai let them,when bomb van came everyone moved a few feet back .

Anyone know what happened?
    kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Didn't hear anything about it, and I work pretty close to abbey st.
    If it did go off, I would definatly have heard it or seen ambulances etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Contolled explosion. Was meant to be a hoax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I was lked right by it on way to Henry Street and Gardai were standing around controlling a few feet ,wheni back down the whole street was closed and bomb squad drove in ,this was an hour later ,thank **** it was a hoax a lot of people standing around watching from a close distance.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

people are so smart..

person #1: whats going on?
    person #2: could be a bomb!
    person#1: oohh.. lets get nearer..

/the pair push nearer to the 'bomb'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

same thing happened only a few months ago... around the same area i think. was a hoax.

People do the exact same thing every time. They hang around the area where there's a suspected bomb or try to get closer... idiots. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

person: I want to see it when it goes off!!!

I'd run the **** away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Had another on the quays outside the 4 courts a few weeks back during morning rush hour.

Originally posted by |.Murderer.|
    person: I want to see it when it goes off!!!

I want to see you seeing it when it goes off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

HE HE, you don't get that if there's a bomb in london. Everyone knows to stay away. Most likely because it probably is real and they know from past experience.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They're probably after blowing up some homeless guy's worldly possessions when he left them down to go take a pee in Easons :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I heard the controlled explosion. Unfortunatly, it was in the brief second where I turned to the guy beside me and asked what was going on, so I didn't see it.

Originally posted by Blisterman
    I heard the controlled explosion. Unfortunatly, it was in the brief second where I turned to the guy beside me and asked what was going on, so I didn't see it.

awww. next time: Move much much closer... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

jesus people are so ****ing stupid. if someone told me there was a bomb, id be running and it would be brown trouser time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭leonotron

You pussiess, I would get closer to see what was going on, then as it went off just hit the deck, the explosion will trael up as it goes out. So it will only injure you if you don't know it's going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

Originally posted by leonotron
    You pussies, I would get closer to see what was going on, then as it went off just hit the deck, the explosion will trail up as it goes out. So it will only injure you if you don't know it's going to happen.

You must know that because you've been in so many explosions...

You dick. Are you twelve years old ? They don't just "trail up as it goes out" They cause massive devastation & disruption (yes even the smaller ones), they turn anything in the immediate vicinity into shrapnel (assuming they haven't got their own payload). Don't be so flippant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

You pussiess, I would get closer to see what was going on, then as it went off just hit the deck, the explosion will trael up as it goes out. So it will only injure you if you don't know it's going to happen.

Exactly.

And everyone knows if you jump at the exact moment there's an explosion, you'll be thrown through the air, will survive, and will get the girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Gob****e! :P

I didn't see anything on the news about it. My friend who works on Middle Abbey St (just over from Easons) sent me a text about it, said there was a controlled explosion...I thought he was taking the piss as there was zilch on rte news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Ever hear of a nuclear bomb, you crazy nut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭frantic_mel

was this in limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by DMT
    Ever hear of a nuclear bomb, you crazy nut?
    Well, if it's nuclear, you're almost better off standing closer to it.

There are plenty of other, easily made explosives that will do serious damage up to a few hundred metres though (But maybe not contained in a little brown bag).

• Advertisement

Originally posted by frantic_mel
    was this in limerick

dublin.

as for "other explosives" - sherrr, aren't they all harmless once you know it's a bomb ... maybe it's a mental thing. "There is no spoon^H^H^H^H^H .. Bomb" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by frantic_mel
    was this in limerick

No, 'City Centre' always refers to Dublin...it's the centre of the universe, dontcha know.

Originally posted by ThreadKiller
    You must know that because you've been in so many explosions...

You dick. Are you twelve years old ? They don't just "trail up as it goes out" They cause massive devastation & disruption (yes even the smaller ones), they turn anything in the immediate vicinity into shrapnel (assuming they haven't got their own payload). Don't be so flippant.

four to be precise, but 3 of them were only land mines to be fair

..so many things wrong.... argh! you hurted my brain. cnut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

So you ARE twelve years old... Didn't know they had minefields down there in Tipp... Been in four explosions, three of them landmines... Dickhead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

I think he's joking.

Chill! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

3 landmines! wow, you must be fooked for legs at this stage

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    I think he's joking.

Chill! :)

you give him the benefit of doubt...fool :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Karoma
    you give him the benefit of doubt...fool :)

So you believe me? Ha

No I'm just a stupid dub, not a dumb bogger. Last I'll say on the subject, at least John Sacepants knows the score

i'm from dublin, muppet :)

Originally posted by Karoma
    i'm from dublin, muppet :)

ahhh? me too? hope you aint a stinking southsider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Right, thats it....Karoma, leonotron and threadkiller, the next time any of you start flamming or mouthing off it will result in a week ban.

[edit] fixed typo

hey thats not fair, you added me in later. Oh, you mean lenotron, thats not me. Sorry, I made a mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

The fact that you were added in later, makes no difference, the warning stands...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Trust me, you're better off doing as he says. The mods here will ban you if you break the rules.

Originally posted by Monty - the one and only
    Right, thats it....Karoma, leonotron and threadkiller, the next time any of you start flamming or mouthing off it will result in a week ban.

[edit] fixed typo

or a weak ban. hur hur. geddit?

See you in a week :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

Originally posted by Kennett
    Trust me, you're better off doing as he says. The mods here will ban you if you break the rules.

OH OI! this is my message board ya lil punk ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

I never notice any coverage of bomb scares in the Irish media. I wonder is this by agreement with the authorities - deprive the messers/terrorists of any publicity so as not to encourage them to do it again?

Originally posted by silverside
    I never notice any coverage of bomb scares in the Irish media. I wonder is this by agreement with the authorities - deprive the messers/terrorists of any publicity so as not to encourage them to do it again?

Probably. if the scare is politically motivated (or even suspected to be so) it'd be desirable that it gets no coverage. It's happened a number of times and each time there hasn't been anything said in the media :confused: .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by KdjaC
    thank **** it was a hoax a lot of people standing around watching from a close distance.

Darwin Award anyone?

I was getting the 90 bus from the front of Heuston station last year. As I was in the scrum to get on I noticed that someone had abandoned a huge suitcase in the shelter just beside the queue. I got on the bus and watched this unattended suitcase for about the next 10 minutes. Eventually someone came out of the station and took possession of it but I was beginning to get nervous. It was a big suitcase, if it was an improvised device it could have blown the buses there and half of Heuston Station into orbit.

No worries Monty, sense of humour optional on boards, I get it
    Originally posted by Monty - the one and only
    The fact that you were added in later, makes no difference, the warning stands...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Why would the media cover bombscares? They happen all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Originally posted by ronano
    OH OI! this is my message board ya lil punk ;)

I've been here longer than you, so I can stake a better claim :p

Originally posted by Civilian_Target
    Why would the media cover bombscares? They happen all the time.

a) you answered your question
    b) as answered a few posts back

:rolleyes:

Advertisement