Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Bertie have launched Skynews Ireland?

Options
  • 12-05-2004 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

I must say I was very suprised when I heard this. Its not like turning up to open a pub in Ballincollig.

My reservations are mainly becuase of its integral status in the Murdoch Media machine, and the disgust I feel when watching Fox News over here. Obviously its editorial bias leans strongly towards the New Conservatists.

For that I say no, he should not have helped launch the thing.
    Any thoughts?

Should Bertie have launched Skynews Ireland? 4 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Interesting. I don't think it's a good idea for a prominent politician to launch /any/ news source, and I reckon it would've been better if they'd used a celeb, but who could you use? I can't think of (m)any at-home Irish celebs that'd be any way interesting, and they'd probably have to lash out a fair whack for an international celeb (like Brosnan or Neeson?)

For what it's worth, I don't think Sky News is as bad as people tend to make them out to be. Granted, they sometimes give right-wingers an easy ride and left-wingers the bums rush, but on balance I don't find their coverage swings /too/ far to the right. It's the first channel I check when I turn the telly on and the one I flick to throughout the day when there's nothing on, and I don't think many would describe me as a new conservative!

Channel 4 News still beats the pants off Sky though. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

There is nothing wrong with a Taoiseach opening up a news paper or media.

I wish SKY news well in Ireland. RTE's viewership figures have tumbled & I think that Sky will have the resources to offer a more comprehensive international news coverage to an Irish audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whenever a politico is seen at the opening of an envelope I just think could'nt he/she be doing something more important?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

TBH I can't see what difference it makes, it's just another engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Another example of the Banana Republic.

This is like Tony Blair posing with a copy of The Sun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Lennoxschips
    This is like Tony Blair posing with a copy of The Sun.
    Anyone willing to photoshop this?
    http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Politics/Pix/pictures/2003/05/06/tube.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Originally posted by mike65
    Whenever a politico is seen at the opening of an envelope I just think could'nt he/she be doing something more important?

Mike.
    I'm with you on this one. Let Sky pay his wages for the day if hes working for them and not us.

Advertisement