Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have Leeds let Robinson go too cheap!!!

• 12-05-2004 6:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Seems spurs have agreed a deal worth only 2 Million!! 1.5 now and another 500,000 later.

Surely Robinson is worth more than that, very surprised Arsenal haven't snapped him up, Lehmann is far too easy to wind up for a Premiership keeper.

Poll might be silly but haven't posted one in a while, so forgive me:D

Full story:
    http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,7-1135008,00.html

Have Leeds let Robinson go too cheap? 19 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 19 votes

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Marginally too cheap perhaps but Leeds aren't exactly in the strongest of bargaining positions.

Pretty good signing for Spurs... he isn't what Arsenal need though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

Spurs have gotten a great keeper on the cheap. I rate Robinson as one of the best in the premiership but i dont think its a good move for him. Spurs dont even have a manager and just managed to avoid a relagation dog fight. Robionson had been linked with Arseanl and Man United in the pass and now he is with Spurs.
    £2million is to cheap for him, i would of thought aleast 4 or 5 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

2 mil seems very cheap, thought they were offered almost double that for him in January? Like to know the correct figure if anyone knows it.....Follows soon after Ziege, Poyet & Anderton's departure...Villa had an offer in for robinson at the start of the season before they bought sorenson didnt they? Reckon Leeds would have done better selling robinson early and holding on to martyn....

Leeds: Sale now on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by johnor
    2 mil seems very cheap, thought they were offered almost double that for him in January? Like to know the correct figure if anyone knows it.....Follows soon after Ziege, Poyet & Anderton's departure...Villa had an offer in for robinson at the start of the season before they bought sorenson didnt they? Reckon Leeds would have done better selling robinson early and holding on to martyn....

Leeds: Sale now on?

SkySports are normally fairly reliable for storys.

FYI:
    Villa agreed a fee with the club, but wouldn't match Robinson's wages so he pulled out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

In response to Johnor , reports had said it was 4 million but offiacially spurs only offered 2.5 million .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Good signing for Spurs. With the right manager in place they could be up there next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

yeah if they get a good run together they could easily come top of the bottom half (bout the only thing they can come top of, hence the kind comment), which at the end of the day is about what they are capable of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Stekelly
    yeah if they get a good run together they could easily come top of the bottom half (bout the only thing they can come top of, hence the kind comment), which at the end of the day is about what they are capable of.

Do you really think that?

The current top 10:

1 Arsenal
    2 Chelsea
    3 Man Utd
    4 Liverpool
    5 Aston Villa
    6 Newcastle
    7 Bolton
    8 Charlton
    9 Fulham
    10 Birmingham

Of the top 6 I'd say Spurs have a chance of matching only Villa next season. O'Leary has done a superb job with Villa (hats off to him, I though he'd make a balls of it), but he's not gonna be able to build on that squad with Deadly Doug at the helm. Spurs could match them, not definite but possible.

Of the next four I'd say Spurs have the potential to finish above Bolton, Charlton and Fulham. Brum's a dodgy one, Bruce has money to spend and he's building a decent squad there. Cunningham is invaluable to him.

Of course, its all based on potential. Spurs need a good manager, one who brings a very dispirited squad together quickly, and starts to work on the coaching at WHL (which is sadly lacking in my opinion). One or two purchases, and get some decent performances out of Richards, King, Gardner, Davies and Carr, and things will improve a great deal.

So its not as bad as you're painting...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

And on the topic of Robinson, if we get him for the price being mentioned then it will be a steal.

Doesn't bode well for Leeds and their ability to get a fair price for their "stars".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Very good buy for Spurs. Leeds have been hard done by, and couldve got a lot more for him.

I wouldve considered him to be a main factor in getting back up to the Prem next season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Robinson was due to move to Spurs in January for £2 million, but the deal was that Spurs would loan him back to Leeds for the rest of the season. However, due to some technicality regarding loans the Premier League wouldn't sanction the arrangement and the deal fell through.

The official Leeds website makes no reference to the price, but Soccernet reports that it's between £1.5-2 million, which is an absolute disgrace for a keeper of his class. He's a full international and is only 24, so he has years ahead of him, factors which should have enabled Leeds to get at least double what's being reported. I'm surprised at the deal on two counts; 1) that Arsenal didn't make an offer. They have a dodgy keeper and the opportunity to replace him with probably the best young keeper around for a knockdown price, which surely would have suited them as all their money is going towards the new stadium; and 2) that Robinson would actually want to go to Spurs. Let's face it, they've been pretty mediocre for a few seasons and don't look like they'll improve much next season. OK, they're still in the Premiership and not likely to suffer Leeds fate, but I would have thought that he'd have higher aspirations.

What's more worrying for me, as a Leeds fan, is that there's still a big debt and if that's the sort of prices that our "star" players will be sold for it's not going to do a lot to help stave off administration, or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If he did go for £2M then it's a bit too low but Leeds aren't exactly in a strong position to argue price and they need to get them off the wage bill (around £600K per week in wages) as quickly as possible. Unless another club came in and started a bidding match they weren't going to get anything more than Spurs actually payed.

As for the other good players, Leeds can only hope that theres a few clubs bidding for each one to push up the price.

Leeds fans slam board over Robinson sale

Leeds chiefs have come under fire for appearing to sell England goalkeeper Paul Robinson to Tottenham on the cheap.

Robinson is set to join Spurs for a fee believed to be just £1.5m - £1m less than was agreed in January.

The 24-year-old was close to moving to White Hart Lane just over three months ago, only for the deal to collapse at the last minute as Leeds wanted to loan him back for the rest of the campaign, which went against Premier League rules.

But the transfer will now go through, albeit for a seemingly reduced fee, going against the grain of comments made by managing director David Richmond just two weeks ago.

Richmond reassured fans that "no player will be leaving this club for less than their market value.''

But John Boocock, chairman of the Leeds United Supporters' Trust, said: "If this is David Richmond getting the best possible price for one of our players, then he should go back to the print business because he knows nothing about football.''
    http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,827961,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Robinson isn't that great in my view. I thought he was much better last season. I know he's playing behind a **** defence but he seems to get his angles wrong for me on a lot of shots. He also doesn't really dominate his box. Still though they should have been able to get a bit more for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

its actually 1.5 mil in total. leeds need the money now so they took the cut down price in favour of being paid more in installments.

well let them summer changes continue for spurs... dead wood out and robbo in ..

all thats left now is a new manager

reid
    a left back
    diego
    v. bommel

and we have ourselves a team!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Beggars cant be choosers!

Leeds have to slash the wage bill, and are not in a position to hold out for the best price.

Also bar the chanpions league teams, nobody will be spending big transfer fees anymore. (According to Souness among others).

Thus Leeds are doubly screwed, as only Smith has been linked with a 'big' team. (ManU).

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Robinson isn't that great in my view. I thought he was much better last season. I know he's playing behind a **** defence but

Goals aside, I'd actually expect a really good keeper to look a lot better when they're playing behind a poor defence purely based on the amount of work they have to do in a game.

I havn't seen him play much this season so I'm basing my good opinion of him on previous viewing. Obviously, the poor atmosphere and morale that has pervaded Leeds all season must have gotten to him.

2 Million it is

Yep signed and sealed:
    Leeds United have confirmed that goalkeeper Paul Robinson has signed for Tottenham in a £2 million deal.
    Spurs had earlier stated that they had agreed a fee of £1.5 million for the England shot-stopper, but The Whites have now said that they have secured £2 million for his services.

from http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1135122,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

seems like a bit of confusion around this....

spurs say 1.5 and leeds 2

ah well what is £500k, if spurs win at the weekend they will move up a couple prob and therefore get an extra 1 mil

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

He is still quite young but 2m is imo not enough.
    A deal worth 4 million would seem fair to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement