Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative 21st Celebrations

• 12-05-2004 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

my 21st is in about 5 weeks time and i have decided against the traditional big party with the speeches and 21 kisses and all that wánk.
    anyway i want to do something different with friends and family but dont know what.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

paintball...holiday.... car crash... the list is endless.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Circumcision

Vasectamy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Two hookers?

Or as many as you can afford.

I prefer 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Originally posted by Johnny Versace
    Two hookers?

Or as many as you can afford.

I prefer 15.

15 girls justs means 15 times the disappointment. Anyway a trip to galways is never a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Do what I did and wallow in a pool of your own self pity

or you could combine everything thats been said so far and

try to circumcise yourself when crashing your car during a paintball holiday in galway against a team of hookers while trying to avoid a vasectamy...it can be done

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

You could do what I did and go to Robyn Island. :p

Seriously though: my best friend organised a music session. She told everyone who was coming who had some kind of musical gift to prepare about three songs, so all in all there were about 10 acts, and it was absolutely brilliant.

We hired out the upstairs room of the Ginger Man pub and everyone just had a few beers and some cake and it was all very low key and enjoyable.

The problem is that you need talented friends to perform. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

Originally posted by penguinbloke
    try to circumcise yourself when crashing your car during a paintball holiday in galway against a team of hookers while trying to avoid a vasectamy...it can be done

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Is 21st meant to be a big one ? Like you can already drink / vote etc.

Whats new about 21 ?

Originally posted by damnyanks

Whats new about 21 ?

never got that one.
    [ Parents are meant to give you a key (symbolic? ... message to "MOVE OUT OF MAH HOUSE"?) ]

it's another excuse for a pissup :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I worked in my parents bar for the night. We had some random old fogey jazz threesome playing that night, you know the type, all big moustaches. The kind that think they're better than they actually are? My parents asked them to play happy birthday for me but they refused on aesthetic grounds. Frankly, I can't blame them. A couple of weeks earlier I had a joint birthday party with two of my aunts who had their birthdays around the same time, one was 40 and one was 50 so we had a 111st. Drunken hilarity ensued. You probably couldn't do that though...

• Advertisement

reminds me of a romanian kid in Thurles square that plays the accordian-when asked by Some Guy to play Happy Birthday for his child - the kid with the accordian replied that he "didn't know it".

*Points and laughs at immigants* (In the non-racist manner...obviously.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

I don't get the whole 21st thing. Why not just go out with your mates and get pissed. I think I'd get sick if I had to listen to parents struggling through a crappy speach about how 21 is different than 20!!

As for the whole house party, beer , food thing. Does it not cost a fortune and will you have to look at relations you hate for the evening. F that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭shopaholic

Some pubs will give you free space(Flannerys on Camden St is one of them), theres a DJ fri and sat night, order a few platters of food and away you go...no hastle(and very cheap)! Its what I did! I escaped the 21 kisses and everything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by damnyanks

Whats new about 21 ?
    it's an old tradition, it harks back to the days when everything was illegal until you turned 21... kind of pointless these days.

whatever you do, make sure it's something exciting... all i did for mine was head round to a mate's & drink a few cans:dunno:
    (the traditional foot long doob was ready for me upon walking through the door:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Stripclub (not if you're going with your family though, obviously :) )

Or an amusement park (in the UK seeing as there's none here, would work out expensive, but parents are paying right)? With boozing afterwards.

Butlins/Mosney... (aka Mosnia)

anyway i want to do something different with friends and family but dont know what.

stripclub... er... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭hedgetrimmer

Throw an Anne Summer's Party - they are cool fun.

Go camping.

Take a weekend trip to Amsterdam, though this can be financially debilitating.

Go somwhere different - like a karaoke pub, or somesuch.

Book out a restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Camping by the lake, followed by skinny dipping. Will your parents be invited to your 21st?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I'm having mine tommorow at my house. Having a barbeque, football, beer, playstation. Should be good, hope I get the weather for it.

(btw, in case anyone goes checking my profile and sees my birthday was a month ago, I'v had final exams for the last month and project work before that so this is the first chance I'v had to celebrate)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

one of my friend's brothers held his 21st on a barge. i thought it was a different idea anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by penguinbloke

sounds like a good movie script in the makings there... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Or an episode of Nip/Tuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

cheers lads, decided i cant be arsed organising anything so am just gonna go on a mad one. my mam thinks i have issues now. "first you refused to go to your debs and now you wont have a 21st" blah blah blah! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Gah I know how you feel. Mine is coming up in 6 weeks or so and I don't have a clue what to do. Can't be bothered doing the big party thing in the house or renting somewhere out, so I'll prob just go out drinking with my friends. My mum is also dissapointed I think, she keeps telling me about her 21st and how great it was, and how she had three seperate parties ect ect!

Advertisement