Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary Politics Sub-Forum

Options
  • 12-05-2004 7:41pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Would it be worthwhile to make a subforum for politics to cover the upcoming elections?
    It could be used to discuss candidates and parties involved, talk about party policies for the elections, and discuss their plausability etc, among other things.

Also any polls that come out in the run-up to the elections could be posted there. As well as information about any speeches etc. taking place in the run-up

It would be modded by the politics mods (if they were happy to do so), and would obviously be taken down after the elections finish.

I would say the citizenship referendum could be included, but this is only a one thread argument, and is probably best kept to politics.

It would be interesting to see a dedicated forum to cater for the election, and if all went well, it could become a regular thing that appears for all future elections.

Flogen
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Good Idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Good lord, however did we survive without you flogen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by MarcusGarvey
    Good lord, however did we survive without you flogen ?
    We didn't. Boards was a barren wasteland. It only consisted of the Afterhours and Admin board. Flogen has changed that.

The forum actually sounds like a good idea. Could be worth while in the short term.

Although it could all be discussed in the Politics board :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I hate to say this every time flogen suggests a new board, but why can't all that be posted on the existing board? I mean, that's exactly what it's for. I doubt that there are going to be so many threads regarding the elections that would completely swamp the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Seems a tad overkill-ish

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

If we take the election out we are left with Iraq or Iraq or Iraq which is all a bit tedious at the moment because of the number of muppets starting threads and then polls on the same topics over and over .

My 2c

M

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

and this weekend I'm going to wind up the Debating structure so that the week before the Referrendum we'll have a debate about it and hopefully some to-n-froing in Pathos.

I think Politics has it covered. If it were a General Elections perhaps...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Muck
    If we take the election out we are left with Iraq or Iraq or Iraq which is all a bit tedious at the moment because of the number of muppets starting threads and then polls on the same topics over and over .

My 2c

M
    I agree. Perhaps an Iraq sub-forum then?
    Keep all the crap together and those that are fed up with it can just ignore it.:)

Originally posted by Imposter
    I agree. Perhaps an Iraq sub-forum then?
    Keep all the crap together and those that are fed up with it can just ignore it.:)
    Oh thats a better idea, and perhaps make it a private board...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Whatever happened to reading the title of a thread and deciding whether or not its a topic you're interested in reading the posts of?

Surely if we implemented such a radical system, this would solve the problem of people having to read the threads they no longer want to.

An alternative might be to implement some sort of "subscribe to this thread" facility, so that people could subscribe to the threads they were interested in, and only check the forum for new threads.

If we had both of these, you could combine them into a truly awesome solution instead of going to sub-fora for individual topics.

jc (humour me, its Friday and I'm hungover)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

A Sub Forum for the upcoming elections would be a good idea if they weren't such a damp squib tbh. For a general election I would encourage a sub forum as there would be enough interest. Apart from the Justin Barrett threads and the one from Muck I haven't seen much on the Euro elections and as for the locals!!!

I am glad to see the Debate mechanism will be used for the Referendum though because I think that is an important issue and I am still undecided on how I am going to vote on this, so it could be useful in helping me make up my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Could well do with less polls though.

Advertisement