Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password Protected Folder?

Options
  • 12-05-2004 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm using XP (Home version) and I was wondering if there is anyway to "lock" a folder so that it can not be opened without a password or something:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

There are software solutions for this, some good, some bad. Try googling. If you're not using NTFS, they are all useless though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

why is it that windowz doesnt allow us to do this, just as we can do with files?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

pasword zips or rars are always an option if the file is not too large.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

If you use NTFS, you can restrict access to a folder. So, for example, if you want to deny access to the contents to all other iusers on your PC, you can.
    Only you when logged in ca view the contents and/or read the conitents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by ColmOT [MSFT]
    If you use NTFS, you can restrict access to a folder. So, for example, if you want to deny access to the contents to all other iusers on your PC, you can.
    Only you when logged in ca view the contents and/or read the conitents.
    Not if you're using Windows XP Lite like the original poster. The security tab has been removed, and is only accessible if you reboot in safe mode, or else you can use cacls (if you've the patience).

I use PGPDisk - you can get a free version of it, but google for the pgp 6.5.8ckt version if you use hibernate, because the latest other free version prevents it from hibernating (and perhaps standing by too, I think). Basically you have a virtual encrypted disk (really a file on your computer) and when PGPDisk "mounts" it, it's accesible as a drive letter (of your choice of whatever letters are free). You can then set a short-cut to unmount it when you want, have it unmount itself after the computer's idle for X minutes, unmount it from My Computer etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement